A Place of Safety
I expect simple behaviours here. Friendship, and love.
Any advice should be from the perspective of the person asking, not the person giving!
We have had to make new membership moderated to combat the huge number of spammers who register

You are here: Home > Forum > A Place of Safety > General Talk > Gaydar Remedial..
Gaydar Remedial..  [message #4479] Sat, 21 September 2002 13:43 Go to next message
marc is currently offline  marc

Needs to get a life!

TomS's post has prompted these few questions.....

Is gaydar inherent in all gay guys, or is it a learned skill?

What are some of the signs of a gaydar attack?

When your own gaydar goes off, what was it about the object of your gaydar scan that triggered a reaction?

A finely tuned sense of gaydar is a great asset when looking for that perfect someone. Lets put our experience to good use and pass on what we know to the next generation.

Smile
Marc

Life is great for me... Most of the time... But then I meet people online... Very few are real friends... Many say they are but know nothing of what it means... Some say they are, but are so shallow...
icon6.gif smith Scrambles For Pen & Paper  [message #4480 is a reply to message #4479] Sat, 21 September 2002 14:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
smith is currently offline  smith

On fire!

Will there be a quiz? Homework? Practice drills? I'm game!!
icon6.gif I'm not sure I have any advice that is applicable to anyone ELSE...  [message #4481 is a reply to message #4479] Sat, 21 September 2002 16:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lenny is currently offline  lenny

On fire!

I've always taken pride in having a fairly accurate gaydar. Oh, it doesn't work all the time, but often enough to be useful anyway. Heh-heh!

Problem is, I have LITTLE to NO idea what sets it off to begin with! I personally almost feel like it's some kind of telepathy. It's a 'feeling', because it doesn't have to involve eye contact at all.

Oh, sometimes it does, maybe even most often, but certainly not always.

Granted, most often I've had a chance to make use of that radar of mine have been in shower rooms and such, an environment where gay people have a chance to study each other more closely than under normal circumstances, so my experiences may be colored by this.

I've had blips appearing in fully clothed situations too however, and the signs are just as diffuse. Maybe it's just a matter of being good at reading postures and body language. Maybe it's something physical, like having the right pheromone receptors. I can't say for sure.

-Lenny

"But he that hath the steerage of my course,
direct my sail."

-William Shakespeare, Romeo and Juliet, Act One, Scene IV
Re: Gaydar Remedial..  [message #4486 is a reply to message #4479] Sat, 21 September 2002 18:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kevin is currently offline  kevin

On fire!

I am not sure how it works, but it works well. Most times I can even tell when a guy call himself straight, but really isn't. I have hit the mark so many times, by being proved correct sometimes a few years later.

It works, so use it. But (no pun), and here is the catch, I don't think anyones "Gaydar" is nearly as usefull when we are still unsure of ourseves. Catch 22.

But best of luck to all.

It's better than finding a coin on the beach with a metal detector!

Kevin

"Be excellent to each other, and, party on dudes"!
icon5.gif Re: Gaydar Remedial..  [message #4519 is a reply to message #4479] Mon, 23 September 2002 16:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

You know, mine half works. And all I can think is that it is a two way thing. You each have to send a pulse and receive a pulse. And open your eyes.

My trouble is I have no idea which half of the time mine works. I'd really like to understand more, if I can. So who is our expert?

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Re: Gaydar Remedial..  [message #4522 is a reply to message #4519] Mon, 23 September 2002 17:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
e is currently offline  e

On fire!

I am horrible at this one. All I can say is that if I am attracted to the guy (at least enough to do something about it), he ain't gay.

Think good thoughts,
e
icon12.gif Re: Gaydar Remedial..  [message #4524 is a reply to message #4479] Mon, 23 September 2002 20:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
toms is currently offline  toms

Likes it here

So, what have we established so far? It's just a feeling that varies from person to person? Come on, folks, inquiring minds wanna know! Smile

-Tom Wink

"Whatever is sought for can be caught, you know,
whatever is neglected slips away."
Oedipus Rex, lines 126-127
icon5.gif Re: Gaydar Remedial..  [message #4525 is a reply to message #4524] Mon, 23 September 2002 21:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Guest is currently offline  Guest

On fire!

Not just inquiring minds, but some of us that would like to know if were missing something.

pacman2
Re: Gaydar Remedial..  [message #4526 is a reply to message #4525] Mon, 23 September 2002 22:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Guest is currently offline  Guest

On fire!

ok my gaydar is a highly refined tool that i have used many many times to hunt down the gay guys in a ton of situations.

so far it has been called a feeling and the mention of feriomons (sp), i personally feel that it is chemical, mental, and physcial. we all have gaydar and we all know when it goes off but to understand it is like trying to understand some thing like inverse time in quantum physics or some thing. my gaydar works best when in close contact, not actually touching but in contact with some ones personal space that space that we all have around us to feel safe with others. some of us have very small personal spaces like 3 or 4 inches and some have a few feet in our safe zones, the tricky part is that for me i have to like next to some one or right in front of tham to get that feeling deep inside that tells me that "family" is near. mine alos works best in groups, i have gotten really strong blips befor in groups and start off thinking it was one guy and it ended up being the guy next to him...hehehe... so i have to keep my options open to who is setting my gaydar off. i still have no idea why it goes off or EXACTLY what sets it off but it does and its been right more times than not. we all being part of the human race also being the most complicated critter on this old world some times look for easy answers to questions that i feel we are not ment to understand. i like to step back and just say "wow that is way kewl" to alot of stuff, call that being hapy in ignonance or what ever but it works for me.

well thats enough from this peanut gallery for now

peace
tim..of USA
Re: Gaydar Remedial..  [message #4528 is a reply to message #4479] Mon, 23 September 2002 22:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the scholar is currently offline  the scholar

Toe is in the water

I can't tell who is an who isn't, but I'm happy with the guy I have, so I don't think I need one.
icon9.gif Don't know what it is. I just know that I ain't got it.  [message #4531 is a reply to message #4479] Tue, 24 September 2002 08:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Steve is currently offline  Steve

Really getting into it

No Message Body
icon9.gif Re: Don't know what it is. I just know that I ain't got it.  [message #4532 is a reply to message #4531] Tue, 24 September 2002 09:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mike is currently offline  mike

Toe is in the water

That applies to me too!

Mike

Friendship is the inexpressible comfort of feeling safe with a person, having neither to weigh thoughts or measure words
icon7.gif Re: Gaydar Remedial..  [message #4538 is a reply to message #4479] Tue, 24 September 2002 21:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dan is currently offline  dan

Likes it here

I'm not sure if I have any "gaydar" whatsoever. I just seem to fall in love a hell of a lot with exceptionally cute guys. So perhaps someone might lend me their gaydar. It would help a lot.

Pleasant dreams...

Dan.
Re: Don't know what it is. I just know that I ain't got it.  [message #4540 is a reply to message #4532] Tue, 24 September 2002 22:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kevin is currently offline  kevin

On fire!

I thought "WE" were born with it?

Kevin

"Be excellent to each other, and, party on dudes"!
icon5.gif Is It Eye Contact?  [message #4543 is a reply to message #4479] Wed, 25 September 2002 00:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
smith is currently offline  smith

On fire!

I went to Best Buy to buy CDs an there was this gorgeous boy there, all dressed in gray. He was on one side of the racks and I was on the other. We looked at each other and I just knew. I did absolutely nothing.......duh......but I just knew. His friend dragged him away but he kept turning around and staring at me.
Is that it?
Could it be that you were wearing ...  [message #4552 is a reply to message #4543] Wed, 25 September 2002 05:11 Go to previous message
warren c. e. austin is currently offline  warren c. e. austin

Likes it here

... an ensemble entirely in "kelley-green" or "fuchia" or "lavender"? They are always eye-openers when worn by men, as are "lemon-yellow", "taupe" or "puce".

[Just kidding)]

In my erstwhile and often-times inveterately promiscuous youth, I often found that singular and direct, often piercing eye-contact, especially if dramatically broken and subsequently, and frequently, enjoined over a period of some minutes there after was usually a prime indicator of of another's sure-fire nterest in what I might be able to offer.

In such circumstances, it is usually de rigeur to take the bull by the horns, as it were, and simple march up to the so afflicted, thrust out your hand, and introduce yourself without acknowledging the protracted eye-contact as this might induce embarassement. You'll never know otherwise, and could very well be letting the opportunity of a lifetime slip through your fingers. The absolute worst that could happen, would be that he would refuse to acknowledge your introduction. Certainly nothing in such demeanor could prompt a violent response, and might just possibly provide the spark that would ignite passions in both of you that are either lying totally dormant, or having been simmering below your consciousness.

Warren C. E. Austin
Previous Topic: Has anyone else ever wondered why ...
Next Topic: your webring
Goto Forum: