A Place of Safety
I expect simple behaviours here. Friendship, and love.
Any advice should be from the perspective of the person asking, not the person giving!
We have had to make new membership moderated to combat the huge number of spammers who register

You are here: Home > Forum > A Place of Safety > General Talk > WE, yes WE, have some awards
WE, yes WE, have some awards  [message #4541] Tue, 24 September 2002 23:22 Go to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

Mihangel has an award. Zustara Orur has an award. timmy is greedy and has two awards. The Gay Writers Guild Summer 2002 Awards were awarded and announced (quietly) on 21 Spetember.

Now, ALL authors hosted here are winners. Some also happen to have won awards

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
icon14.gif WOW !!  [message #4545 is a reply to message #4541] Wed, 25 September 2002 00:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
smith is currently offline  smith

On fire!

That's so wonderful !!

Bravo to timmy for his special stories and for his superior site Smile

Bravo to Mihangel for giving us such great stories Smile

Bravo to Zustara for creating such terrific characters in his stories Smile

GRAND JOB, YA'LL !!
smith
icon6.gif Congrats guys  [message #4547 is a reply to message #4541] Wed, 25 September 2002 03:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
e is currently offline  e

On fire!

Way to go Lenny and Mihangel. You both are well deserving of the recognition.

Think good thoughts,
e
icon7.gif Bows modestly  [message #4560 is a reply to message #4541] Wed, 25 September 2002 10:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mihangel is currently offline  mihangel

Likes it here

Thanks. I'm gobsmacked. A year ago, I already knew and loved the IOMfAtS site and Tim's stories, but if anyone had told me I'd be getting an award for gay writing I'd have laughed in his face.

But last November naughty little thoughts crept into my mind, and my naughty big finger crept onto the keyboard. Question then arose, what to do with the result? Though we'd not been in contact before, I tremblingly asked Tim if he'd cast a critical eye over it. I expected a kindly tearing-to-bits, but within an hour or so he came back offering to host it; which I hadn't even asked for.

Bless you, Tim, for inspiration and for hospitality.
icon14.gif Re: Bows modestly  [message #4561 is a reply to message #4560] Wed, 25 September 2002 13:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
david in hong kong is currently offline  david in hong kong

On fire!

While some of us have been quietly (or not so quietly) suffering writer's block and real life woes, others of us have been writing and willing well-deserved awards!!!!!

Each and every one of them is well and truly deserved!!

Congratulations, guys! I've liked Mihangel's stuff since I first read 'em. And Lenny! Way cool that I was able to see advanced copies of some of the chapters. Tim's site award is certainly well deserved...so well that somebody else tried to copy it. Hehe

And Scholar! Thanks for writing! Maybe give the guys over at GWG some spelling lessons?

And maybe next year, smith will be another award winning newcomer. That would be doing the "home team proud!

Thanks for reading pleasure and enjoyment.

"Always forgive your enemies...nothing annoys them quite so much." Oscar Wilde
icon14.gif Awards are but a small token......  [message #4562 is a reply to message #4541] Wed, 25 September 2002 17:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
marc is currently offline  marc

Needs to get a life!

for all the hours of enjoyment, encouragement and friendship.

If I could have done more, I would have.

Hugest huggs to all the winners here and elsewhere.... Those with awards and those who just know they are winners,,,, by virtue of their good hearts, good words and heartfelt friendship.

Three cheers to one and all.....

Marc V.
Presiding Member,
Gay Writers Guild

Life is great for me... Most of the time... But then I meet people online... Very few are real friends... Many say they are but know nothing of what it means... Some say they are, but are so shallow...
icon6.gif I'm a bit curious...  [message #4564 is a reply to message #4562] Wed, 25 September 2002 18:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lenny is currently offline  lenny

On fire!

Timmy (I know he seems to prefer "timmy" but I've been taught to start off a sentence with a capital letter. Blame my teachers! Smile) asked us writers to go nominate ourselves. I never did...

I figured that if nobody cared enough about my stories to send in a nomination, I didn't deserve to be a part of the award voting process. Well, now that it seems somebody did care enough, I'm curious if I was nominated to something other than best character as well. Smile Is this info top secret? Could you just tell me in an email perhaps? Smile

I'm of course incredibly flattered and honored by all this... Lucky me though that this isn't the oscars ceremony, I'm no good at talking to a crowd! Smile

-Lenny

"But he that hath the steerage of my course,
direct my sail."

-William Shakespeare, Romeo and Juliet, Act One, Scene IV
icon7.gif Re: Bows modestly  [message #4568 is a reply to message #4560] Wed, 25 September 2002 20:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mike is currently offline  mike

Toe is in the water

No need for modesty. The Scholar was a terific tale and well worth the award. Congratulations

Friendship is the inexpressible comfort of feeling safe with a person, having neither to weigh thoughts or measure words
Re: I'm a bit curious...  [message #4572 is a reply to message #4564] Wed, 25 September 2002 21:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Needs to get a life!

Hi Lenny,

Sorry we don't keep that information. As you might think, just keeping track of all the scores is difficult enough, but perhaps we can begin to include a nisting of nominees.

I will talk to Christian (Our program wiz kid) and see if this is possible.

Thanks for the suggestion, and I truly mean it too, without pertinant feedback we have no idea what improvments need to be done.

I will let you know ASAP.
Marc

Life is great for me... Most of the time... But then I meet people online... Very few are real friends... Many say they are but know nothing of what it means... Some say they are, but are so shallow...
You know......  [message #4574 is a reply to message #4572] Wed, 25 September 2002 22:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

It's hard having won something to suggest improvements.

The awards have greater value everywhere if the pool of nominations is large. Like the Oscars, the higher the number of good quality entries the better the award. I think a good first step is a volume, which is non controversial, and maybe later a list

The thing we must ALL do is to make the pool of nomineees for all categories as wide as possible. This includes nominating yourself. Why trust someone else to do it? Even if your stuff SUCKS, it validates the award when awarded to another.

I don't mean nominate something that truly sucks, but nominate ANY item that has sufficient quality that you enjoyed reading it

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
icon7.gif Re: WE, yes WE, have some awards  [message #4575 is a reply to message #4541] Wed, 25 September 2002 23:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the scholar is currently offline  the scholar

Toe is in the water

Just seen the news, guys and I am so happy for Mihangel, Zustara Orur and timmy - well done, chaps, I am so proud to learn of these achievement and will pop a cork in celebration this very evening. Keep up the excellent work - your awards are truly justified for such outstanding stories.

TS
icon14.gif Re: Bows modestly  [message #4576 is a reply to message #4560] Wed, 25 September 2002 23:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
charlie is currently offline  charlie

Really getting into it

Thank you, Mihangel, for your stories and words. Your stories deserve any awards to come their way. Your words have been and always will be appreciated.

Hugs, Charlie
Well done everybody!  [message #4577 is a reply to message #4541] Wed, 25 September 2002 23:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nick is currently offline  nick

Likes it here

No Message Body
A good theory....... But  [message #4588 is a reply to message #4574] Thu, 26 September 2002 12:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Needs to get a life!

Without a pool of volunteers to do the judging an influx of nominees to that degree would ultimately cause the entire system to collapse.

Each judge reads each nomination. As it stands now it is a huge lot of reading. To handle more nominations we would need more judges.

Marc

icon6.gif You are all so deserving of these and many more ...  [message #4601 is a reply to message #4541] Fri, 27 September 2002 04:30 Go to previous message
kevin is currently offline  kevin

On fire!

I for one am just happy you decided to share your talent with us. Each of you is a winner in my book.

Congradulations all!

Kevin

"Be excellent to each other, and, party on dudes"!
Previous Topic: Houston, we have some progress
Next Topic: Israel Knesset to admit first gay member
Goto Forum: