A Place of Safety
I expect simple behaviours here. Friendship, and love.
Any advice should be from the perspective of the person asking, not the person giving!
We have had to make new membership moderated to combat the huge number of spammers who register

You are here: Home > Forum > A Place of Safety > General Talk > A General Request
A General Request  [message #52946] Thu, 04 September 2008 13:26 Go to next message
JFR is currently offline  JFR

On fire!

Dear fellow forum frequenters.

The current discussions about politics and religion are very interesting and, as is to be expected, they are showing up differences of opinion between the people posting.

My request is that in these discussions people use more the "quote original post" (suitably edited where brevity is called for). I find that people are answering previous posts and I can't work out who they are responding to or who they are correcting. Also, a change of title for your post may help in many cases: when a thread contains upwards of forty posts all with the same subject title it becomes very difficult to follow the subsets of the discussion.

J F R

The paradox has often been noted that the United States, founded in secularism, is now the most religiose country in Christendom, while England, with an established church headed by its constitutional monarch, is among the least. (Richard Dawkins, 2006)
Re: A General Request  [message #52949 is a reply to message #52946] Thu, 04 September 2008 13:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
saben is currently offline  saben

On fire!

I'm a guilty suspect here. I'll try to create new topics more often when they diverge from the original.

I find the easiest way to deal with posts here is to "work backwards" following the nested structure. It can become unmanageable at times, though, I agree.

Look at this tree. I cannot make it blossom when it suits me nor make it bear fruit before its time [...] No matter what you do, that seed will grow to be a peach tree. You may wish for an apple or an orange, but you will get a peach.
Master Oogway
Re: A General Request  [message #52956 is a reply to message #52949] Thu, 04 September 2008 20:06 Go to previous message
acam is currently offline  acam

On fire!

Yes, JFR,

I think I'm guilty too - I broaden a topic without making it clear that I'm doing it (I ought to change the title and sometimes I do).

But I am better than most about being clear whose comments I'm replying to. And I take some trouble trying to correct spelling or other errors before I 'just hit send'.

So I agree with you and say to others 'Please do as JFR asks'.

Love,
Anthony
Previous Topic: Turn on
Next Topic: Michael Crichton
Goto Forum: