A Place of Safety
I expect simple behaviours here. Friendship, and love.
Any advice should be from the perspective of the person asking, not the person giving!
We have had to make new membership moderated to combat the huge number of spammers who register

You are here: Home > Forum > A Place of Safety > General Talk > Punctuality
Punctuality  [message #53881] Tue, 07 October 2008 22:18 Go to next message
saben is currently offline  saben

On fire!

Anyone else chronically late? Anyone managed to overcome this nasty habit?

I don't mind being 5-10 minutes late for things (though prefer to be on time), but running late means I miss the train and have to wait half an hour for the next one. It's been a real detriment to me given my classes at Uni only last an hour. I miss half the class because I'm 2 minutes late for the train!

Waking up earlier doesn't help, I just seem to find more things to do and still end up running late. Setting my clocks ahead by 5 minutes doesn't work- I'm too smart for that and just tell myself "Oh, it's really only , so I have 5 minutes extra".

What to do? I've tried what I can think of, but I've always been late. I grew up with a mum that was always late so I just don't know how to be punctual!

Look at this tree. I cannot make it blossom when it suits me nor make it bear fruit before its time [...] No matter what you do, that seed will grow to be a peach tree. You may wish for an apple or an orange, but you will get a peach.
Master Oogway
Re: Punctuality  [message #53882 is a reply to message #53881] Tue, 07 October 2008 22:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

Would there be any other way of being late except 'chronically'?

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Re: Punctuality  [message #53884 is a reply to message #53881] Tue, 07 October 2008 22:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Deeej is currently offline  Deeej

Needs to get a life!

The way I do it is to work out well in advance the best time to leave, then subtract 10 minutes from it to give an official 'leaving time' to aim for. I try to forget the actual time of the train/bus, etc. -- it becomes irrelevant at that point; a distraction, even.

Of course, it does require you to be able to force yourself to aim for the official 'leaving time' and not to start working out how much time you have on the day (otherwise you may start reasoning 'another five minutes won't make any difference', which is dangerous) but provided you trust your prior calculation it should help. It helps me, anyway.

With these measures, even though I usually (inadvertently) run a couple of minutes later than I intend, provided it's not the full ten minutes I still have time in hand.

David

[Updated on: Tue, 07 October 2008 23:18]

Re: Punctuality  [message #53885 is a reply to message #53884] Tue, 07 October 2008 23:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
marc is currently offline  marc

Needs to get a life!

The first thing to do is to not ever use the "snooze button"

Place the alarm clock in another roon, yet near enough to hear.

Then you will have to get up to turn it off.

Life is great for me... Most of the time... But then I meet people online... Very few are real friends... Many say they are but know nothing of what it means... Some say they are, but are so shallow...
Re: Punctuality  [message #53886 is a reply to message #53881] Tue, 07 October 2008 23:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
acam is currently offline  acam

On fire!

Dear Saben,

the only way to be on time or early is for it to be really important to you.

For about the last 20 years of my working life I was a self-employed computer consultant. I could NOT afford to be late. It would give my client the message that his time was worth less than mine! I could keep him waiting and HE was paying ME!

If it's important enough anyone can do it. And the reason you are late is because you don't care enough. Sorry to be blunt.

Love,
Anthony
Re: Punctuality  [message #53887 is a reply to message #53882] Tue, 07 October 2008 23:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message

On fire!

Dear Timmy,

I think you meant chronologically!

Love,
Anthony
Re: Punctuality  [message #53888 is a reply to message #53885] Tue, 07 October 2008 23:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Deeej is currently offline  Deeej

Needs to get a life!

I disagree. I use a combination of both a 'snooze' alarm clock and an ordinary one. The snooze one goes off a few minutes in advance to raise me from deep sleep to lighter sleep (and stop me from dozing off again for more than five minutes). When that one goes off, I can get out of bed if I want to, or not. (It even gives the illusion of sleeping in a little.) The second alarm clock is the 'absolute' one that means I must get out of bed.

At the moment I use three alarms. The final one is for emergencies -- if I somehow manage to disregard both other alarm clocks (or I mis-set one or the other by mistake). Mostly I don't need it, and usually turn it off when I get out of bed, before it's gone off.

David
Re: Punctuality  [message #53889 is a reply to message #53885] Tue, 07 October 2008 23:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NW is currently offline  NW

On fire!

Doesn't work for me - fluid accumulates in the ears when I lie asleep, and I'm even more deaf than usual in the mornings! Radio-alarm on full volume, alarm clock, second alarm clock ... I've been known to sleep through them all, though the alarm on the mobile phone *usually* wakes me (I only set this if it's really really important to be up at a particular time).

The only pretty fail-safe wake-up is the bedroom lights - 400 watts of halogen, all pointing at the bed, on a timeswitch!

No having to start work until 1400h was a major reason for my career in Theatre ... and at present I usually don't go in to work until around lunchtime.

"The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral, begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy. ... Returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night devoid of stars." Martin Luther King
Re: Punctuality  [message #53891 is a reply to message #53889] Tue, 07 October 2008 23:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Needs to get a life!

Oh well,

I guess the only other solution would be to develope a sense of responsibility.

Personally, I don't use an alarm clock. I also am never, ever late for an appointment.

Life is great for me... Most of the time... But then I meet people online... Very few are real friends... Many say they are but know nothing of what it means... Some say they are, but are so shallow...
Re: Punctuality  [message #53892 is a reply to message #53886] Tue, 07 October 2008 23:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Scott is currently offline  Scott

Likes it here

acam wrote:
> Dear Saben,
>
> the only way to be on time or early is for it to be really important to you.
>

I agree with you, Anthony. Many years ago when I was finishing therapy for depression, I was asked by the therapist was there anything else i wanted to discuss. Being bi crossed my mind, and then I dismissed it. But I was bothered by what seemed to be chronic lateness. I never need an alarm to get up in the morning. My lateness comes from thinking I can do just "one more thing" before having to leave to go somewhere.

He explained exactly what Anthony said. So all i can say is "times 2" for Anthony's post.

Scott

Cycling is the one sport where a guy can shave his legs, wear spandex and bright colors, and be accepted.
Re: Punctuality  [message #53893 is a reply to message #53892] Tue, 07 October 2008 23:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message

On fire!

Interesting. Being habitually late leaving home can be one of the signs of depression - perhaps a reluctance to risk having to engage with stressful situations (including "other people").

I know that it's one of my own warning signs that I need to slow down and take things easy when I realise that I haven't left enough time to buy a newspaper before catching the train to work!

"The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral, begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy. ... Returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night devoid of stars." Martin Luther King
Re: Punctuality  [message #53894 is a reply to message #53886] Tue, 07 October 2008 23:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message

On fire!

I guess I don't care much... I mean, I care enough that it upsets me, but I don't care enough to change, or I would have... I guess...

It's the same with everything for me, though. I don't care about not-submitting work. I don't care about failing subjects or losing a job.

Things come fairly easily to me, so I don't care much about losing them I guess?

How does one start caring about these kinds of things?

I'd almost be happy to be unemployed for the rest of my life... I don't want to.. But I wouldn't hate it. It's an easy life, the only hard part is emotionally feeling crap about oneself. How do you start to care about caring?

And if not unemployed I'd be happy to be casually/ part time employed. Enough to cover my expenses and not much more. What gives people the drive to go beyond hand-to-mouth living?

I think responsibility came for my mum by being a parent, but without that... why does it matter? I don't have really care about owning my own home. Most things I want out of life are generally simple pleasures. So I don't have a reason to join the rat-race. My goals amount to "It'd be nice to do X" and nothing more. But I don't feel a need for goals beyond that.

Blargh.

Look at this tree. I cannot make it blossom when it suits me nor make it bear fruit before its time [...] No matter what you do, that seed will grow to be a peach tree. You may wish for an apple or an orange, but you will get a peach.
Master Oogway
Re: Punctuality  [message #53895 is a reply to message #53884] Wed, 08 October 2008 00:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message

On fire!

I'll try this more.

Forgetting the ACTUAL time the train leaves is hard, however!

My problem is often using the computer of a morning. Maybe I should just cut that out entirely. Checking my email "one last time" before I leave, or reading that one last forum post often makes up the 2 minutes I end up running late.

Perhaps I should set my mobile phone alarm more when using the computer. When it rings I hibernate it.

Master Oogway
Re: Punctuality  [message #53896 is a reply to message #53881] Wed, 08 October 2008 00:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
unsui is currently offline  unsui

Likes it here

No Message Body

[Updated on: Fri, 24 October 2008 17:18]

Caring About Caring and Developing Drive  [message #53899 is a reply to message #53894] Wed, 08 October 2008 02:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Likes it here

No Message Body

[Updated on: Fri, 24 October 2008 17:18]

Re: Caring About Caring and Developing Drive  [message #53904 is a reply to message #53899] Wed, 08 October 2008 03:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message

On fire!

Part of the problem is that welfare in Australia is "enough". It's barely enough, but I can survive as a student, unemployed or as a retiree on a pension satisfactorily. I don't drink or smoke, so I have a bit of play money, in addition to enough funds to cover bills and internet. Living off the government feels immoral, but it is hard to allow morality to win out over comfort.

The other thing is... it makes me unhappy not accomplishing much. I want to be someone. But the level of discontent I have isn't enough to overcome the comfort I have in being, well, lazy. I do want more in life- a fancy car, a nice house, expensive clothing, holidays, electronic "toys". But my want of those things is just a want. I can be happy and content without all of them. So I let myself be happy and content without them.

I guess I'm a bit too nihilistic and a bit too much of a philosopher sometimes. Other times I'll get passionate and really want to achieve something, but those bursts of energy don't last.

I think part of the "problem" if you call it that, is that I grew up in a low income, single parent family. And I was happy. My childhood wasn't one I look back on wishing to make something different for myself than what I had, nor have I seen a model of achievement of success.

As you say it's an attitude developed over a lifetime. And it's an attitude I'm not even sure I want to abandon entirely. But it is an attitude that, at times, causes me to be unhappy. But I don't know if the small unhappiness I face from time-to-time is worth the effort, energy and stress that a more driven life might involve...

Master Oogway
This discussion reminds me...  [message #53905 is a reply to message #53881] Wed, 08 October 2008 05:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JFR is currently offline  JFR

On fire!

Come, dear,we have already missed five, if not six, trains. To miss any more might expose us to comment on the platform. [Lady Bracknell in Oscar Wilde's "Importance of Being Earnest", Act III.]

J F R

The paradox has often been noted that the United States, founded in secularism, is now the most religiose country in Christendom, while England, with an established church headed by its constitutional monarch, is among the least. (Richard Dawkins, 2006)
Re: Punctuality  [message #53906 is a reply to message #53887] Wed, 08 October 2008 06:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

Well, no. When I was a kid our neighbour reported to the doctor that his wife was in "chronic" pain, when she was in "acute" pain.

The doctor explained to him that he had understood what he meant, but that he was wrong. The former is to do with time, the second to do with intensity.

The neighbour didn't get the point and told us as an example of the doctor's alleged idiocy. But he also fell for http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spaghetti_tree and told us all about it in all seriousness, too.

I liked him a lot. He and his wife were a place of sanctuary when I was a kid. He was just a normal bloke who was not the sharpest knife in the drawer.

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Lateness is the height of rudeness  [message #53910 is a reply to message #53881] Wed, 08 October 2008 06:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

The serious answer is to decide that it matters.

When you finish being a student and move into the world of work you will find that punctuality is not only polite, it's vital.

As an example, when an employee, I started all meetings on time. Period. I view those who are late as extremely rude towards those who arrived on time. If we can all get there on time, then so can you (the putative "you" who is late).

The only excuse for missing a train is a disaster on the way to the station.

Have you ever noticed that the person living furthest away is on time and those living nearest are late?

Be one of your lecturers and watch you drift in 30 minutes late. Does that show you that the latecomer values your time, or is it plain rude?

Re: Punctuality  [message #53913 is a reply to message #53881] Wed, 08 October 2008 07:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nigel is currently offline  Nigel

On fire!

'Chronically late' - a tautology?

Hugs
N

I dream of boys with big bulges in their trousers,
Never of girls with big bulges in their blouses.

…and look forward to meeting you in Cóito.
Re: Caring About Caring and Developing Drive  [message #53918 is a reply to message #53904] Wed, 08 October 2008 08:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message

On fire!

Dear Saben,

What I say to my children is that if you do less than you can you aren't living as full a life as you can. If you don't occasionally stretch yourself you won't ever know what you can do. You won't miss it because you never knew it but you won't feel fulfilled.

Some people seem to be able to try their hardest all the time - think of Tim in "Finding Tim". Most of us can't do that but we nearly all have something that we would really like to do and making the effort gives one a boost and succeeding in something difficult is a huge help to one's self esteem.

And if you can afford to live while you are considering what you really want to do, you have time to choose carefully. But if you don't want to do anything you might as well be dead.

I was very lucky that I was good academically and won a scholarship to Oxford. Then I drifted and went with the flow and it took me a long time to 'find myself' and, of course part of the problem was that there were no visible niches in society for people like me.

What would you really like to do with your life? What sort of a person would you like to be able to offer to the love of your life?

Love,
Anthony
Re: Caring About Caring and Developing Drive  [message #53919 is a reply to message #53904] Wed, 08 October 2008 09:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message

On fire!

Saben wrote:

> As you say it's an attitude developed over a lifetime. And it's an attitude I'm not even sure I want to abandon entirely. But it is an attitude that, at times, causes me to be unhappy. But I don't know if the small unhappiness I face from time-to-time is worth the effort, energy and stress that a more driven life might involve...

I've had a couple of periods in my life (late teens to early 20s, and from 49-52 when I became disabled) when I was entirely happy to drift, living on student grant / benefits whatever. Like you, I don't have all that many material wants, which helps. Though drifting left me with a nagging dissatisfaction ...

In both cases, I eventually ran in to jobs that attracted me, that were emotionally rewarding and intellectually challenging, doing things I really believed in - in short, I started work and fell passionately in love with it. I can't do "just a job, for money" - it simply isn't in me: as you put it, I can't face "the effort, energy and stress that a more driven life might involve..." But when what I'm doing is a serious passion, it's a very different story: the 80-100 hour weeks and sleepless nights become irrelevant. I guess I've been lucky that such occupations have been paying, rather than voluntary - it could easily have been otherwise (if I'd had any vestige of musical talent, I could well have ended up in bands that made no money, for example).

It's an attitude that has seen me rise to senior levels - as far as I cared to go - in two different careers (Technical Theatre, and Local Government Facilities), and is serving me well in my semi-retirement job running Artists' Studios. I'll never be rich, or even well-off, but who cares!

After all of which ramblings, I guess what I'm saying is that if the right opportunity/challenge crops up, don't be afraid to give it everything - but I don't see that developing "drive" is in itself important: it's what end you're driving towards that counts.

Re: Punctuality  [message #53920 is a reply to message #53881] Wed, 08 October 2008 09:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
paulj is currently offline  paulj

Likes it here

I think it runs in our makeup. I am not a late person unless there are extenuating circumstances, such as a motorway pile-up or a train breakdown. in other words things beyond my reasonable control. My partner, however, is always late. His work time begins at 09.00 he never arrives before 09.30 but he never leaves on time so they do get their 'day's worth'. He is also a night owl, I'm a lark, so we go bed different times... and we often turn up to events seperately having travelled from work or home and meeting at the venue. I'll have been there for a cleat ten minutes possibly enjoying a coffee, and he will be in his seat only ever just seconds before it begins. I've totally given up on changing him and he accepts that I am a morning person and dont want to be around at 3am!!
So I think body clocks time keeping are all part of our makeup. It comes naturally to some and for otjhers its an extreme effort to be 'channelled' into the necessities of time management!!

Paul
Re: Punctuality  [message #53921 is a reply to message #53881] Wed, 08 October 2008 09:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Fingolfin is currently offline  Fingolfin

Likes it here

I'm never late unless there is a problem I cannot influence. Paul called it out of "reasonable control".
If I make an appointment I am usually there 5 min in advance.

Marek

It is better to switch on a small light than to curse the darkness.
- Vincent Å ikula, Slovak writer
Re: Punctuality  [message #53923 is a reply to message #53906] Wed, 08 October 2008 10:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message

On fire!

Dear Timmy,

I remember that. I watched that Panorama & did a sort of double take - it was so well done and told so straight!

Love,
Anthony
Re: Caring About Caring and Developing Drive  [message #53924 is a reply to message #53919] Wed, 08 October 2008 10:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message

On fire!

Yes, NW,

that is exactly right. I was an undistinguished computer man - dissatisfied with the way the business worked until a guy called David Ball introduced me to APL. ["A Programming Language" - it's still way the highest level programming language of all (except for its offshoot "J") and I'm still secretary of the British APL Association.] APL filled what I felt was the empty space in the middle of computing; for me it was THE only way to do it right!

That gave me a mission in life and I worked with APL from about 1982. I got caught up in it and helped to produce a free APL for educational use and did it as a volunteer, unpaid. I think it counts as a great work. As a result I got to meet and know an amazing collection of the brightest people in the world. I'd better stop; if I start riding my hobby horse I won't be able to stop.

Love,
Anthony
Re: Punctuality  [message #53931 is a reply to message #53906] Wed, 08 October 2008 11:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message

On fire!

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/chronic

I'm looking at the "marked by a frequent recurrence" definition. And the "being such habitually" definition.

I'm frequently and habitually late. It is not acute lateness, at least, not always.

Master Oogway
Re: Punctuality  [message #53932 is a reply to message #53894] Wed, 08 October 2008 11:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Needs to get a life!

Saben wrote:
> How do you start to care about caring?
>

Well, you stand brightly erect, shoulders back, chin up, take a deep breath....

And forthrightly take a stef forward into the real world.

Re: Punctuality  [message #53935 is a reply to message #53932] Wed, 08 October 2008 11:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message

On fire!

Tried that, but old habits die hard.

It's easier to live inside my head than in "the real world".

I'm not easily swayed by arguments of "this is how life is" because I'm inclined to ask "why?"

I don't feel any compulsion to go out and get a job and be successful just because everyone else does.

Master Oogway
Motivation  [message #53937 is a reply to message #53935] Wed, 08 October 2008 12:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message

On fire!

Quite so, Saben, it has to be what YOU want to do. It's very easy to duck the question and not bother to give an answer. It's also easy to say "Well, I don't particularly want to do anything today; maybe I will tomorrow."

I guess it has to start with a mild dissatisfaction about how life is at present. I think you have shown in your posts on here that you are not fully satisfied. It is only a small step from that to wonder what would be more satisfying.

Once I was persuaded (by a work study man) to keep an activity diary where every hour or so I had to spend two minutes writing down what I'd been doing for that hour. It was a disturbing experience because I had no idea that I wasted so much time. Everyone does. The secret of feeling fulfilled at the end of the day is being satisfied with what you have done. Things you have missed, attempts to do things that just fell short, mistakes that cost a morning's work really show you how bad they are.

If you only keep a daily diary for a week you will find that it helps you to see what you really want.

Love,
Anthony
Re: Caring About Caring and Developing Drive  [message #53941 is a reply to message #53904] Wed, 08 October 2008 14:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Likes it here

No Message Body

[Updated on: Fri, 24 October 2008 17:16]

Re: Punctuality  [message #53942 is a reply to message #53935] Wed, 08 October 2008 14:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Needs to get a life!

A job helps with the bills and food, rent, that sort of thing...

Unless you are iundependantly wealthy of course...

Re: Punctuality  [message #53943 is a reply to message #53942] Wed, 08 October 2008 14:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message

On fire!

In Australia it's easy to leech of the government. Not a path I want to follow, but there is no NECESSITY in getting a job here.. I am a student on government payments now- I can afford food, bills and rent; with a small amount of money on the side for "fun". Unemployment actually pays more than the student payments I receive.

But even once I get a job- 15 hours/ week in retail at $15/ hour would cover core expenses. I live on less than that now. Casual or part time employment would allow me to live hand to mouth. What's need is there for a full time job?

Master Oogway
Re: Punctuality  [message #53944 is a reply to message #53943] Wed, 08 October 2008 14:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Needs to get a life!

If you can get by on such a spare existance and are happy with it ...... fine....

I go to school full time, live on grants, and am quite happy with things as they are.... But i'm also retired and am going just for the fun of it too....

You may find sooner or later that you might someday want a little more than what you are willing to settle for at the present.... When that time comes I hope it isn't too late for you....

Re: Punctuality  [message #53948 is a reply to message #53944] Wed, 08 October 2008 15:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message

On fire!

I guess that's the thing- it's not fine? At least, not entirely.

I'm conflicted. I want to do more. But I can't be bothered. Which I guess means I don't want to do more.

I don't want to try and fail. So I just don't try.

Master Oogway
But you fail every time anyway  [message #53958 is a reply to message #53948] Wed, 08 October 2008 18:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

Every time you are late you fail.

And it is unpardonably rude to be habitually late.

Re: Punctuality  [message #53999 is a reply to message #53881] Thu, 09 October 2008 20:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ricky is currently offline  ricky

Getting started

Am I too late to comment?
Re: Punctuality  [message #54000 is a reply to message #53999] Thu, 09 October 2008 21:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message

On fire!

Of course not, Ricky!

I look forward to what you have to say.

Love,
Anthony
Re: Punctuality  [message #54006 is a reply to message #53999] Fri, 10 October 2008 00:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Scott is currently offline  Scott

Likes it here

ricky wrote:
> Am I too late to comment?

I hope Anthony has not taken you too literally! Sad)

Scott

Cycling is the one sport where a guy can shave his legs, wear spandex and bright colors, and be accepted.
Re: Punctuality  [message #54007 is a reply to message #53881] Fri, 10 October 2008 01:58 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Benji is currently offline  Benji

Likes it here

This is a pet peeve with me, I cannot stand to be late or have to wait on someone else who is being late. I can understand unavoidable things like traffic. But there is else something I totally detest,5hat being waiting in line or being served in a restaurant. I live in a world where my job requires that I give 110% to my customers and I do, to be get anything less in kind is dis-respectful to me, and I tip a full 20% when service is good even when I see the poor girl or guy running all over the place trying to do their jobs. But when I see a lazy haphazard attempt I get fused.
Previous Topic: Names for story characters
Next Topic: Swimming trunks
Goto Forum: