A Place of Safety
I expect simple behaviours here. Friendship, and love.
Any advice should be from the perspective of the person asking, not the person giving!
We have had to make new membership moderated to combat the huge number of spammers who register

You are here: Home > Forum > A Place of Safety > General Talk > Every so often we look at forum software
Every so often we look at forum software  [message #54676] Sat, 15 November 2008 00:26 Go to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

This one is not broken, though we can't upgrade it easily. If we want a more modern piece of software we need to migrate. And the software needs to be free.

With that in mind I thought that, this time, we'd ask you guys if you know of any forum software that would be suitable.

Our criteria are:
  1. Not phpBB, not now, not ever, never!
  2. uses ideally PostgreSQL, though MySQL is half OK at a pinch
  3. Is able to be configured as a threaded board
  4. does not have a reputation for security holes
  5. Is not a common target for Spammers and Hackers
  6. Did I mention phpBB and the fact that there is no point in even thinking of suggesting it?
  7. Easy to customise the skin.
  8. Does not require any Micro$oft environment of any description to be loaded onto our server
  9. capable of importing with some ease the entire set of posts we hold already
  10. Impose only a light(!) load on the server when a spidering bot comes to call

[Updated on: Sat, 15 November 2008 00:40]

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
PHPBB!!!  [message #54677 is a reply to message #54676] Sat, 15 November 2008 08:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
saben is currently offline  saben

On fire!

....................................................................................................................................................................................................

Just kidding...

What is the problem with it, though? There's no point me suggesting similar free boards if they share the same flaws as PHPBB.

Look at this tree. I cannot make it blossom when it suits me nor make it bear fruit before its time [...] No matter what you do, that seed will grow to be a peach tree. You may wish for an apple or an orange, but you will get a peach.
Master Oogway
Re: PHPBB!!!  [message #54678 is a reply to message #54677] Sat, 15 November 2008 09:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

Now where do I start? Ah yes.

Opens huge security holes; updated about every ten minutes; highly popular with hackers; hugely popular with spammers, full of bugs; aggravating as hell to administer; just plain lousy in every possible way.

Yup, that should do it.

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Re: Every so often we look at forum software  [message #54679 is a reply to message #54676] Sat, 15 November 2008 16:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CallMePaul is currently offline  CallMePaul

Really getting into it

It's a mystery to women why guys like to hang on to underwear and t-shirts that are threadbare and just plain nasty looking. For us guys it's about comfort. Most of us will hang on to our old stuff just as long as we can because each piece of clothing has memories and associations that make it truly ours and one of a kind. Can you say any less about this present forum software? This has a homey feeling, is comfortable and feels like you are wearing a pair of lucky socks.

Hey, you're right - it ain't broken, so don't be trying to fix it. If you even think about it we'll have Megaman kick your ass! ;-D

Youth crisis hot-line 866-488-7386, 24 hr (U.S.A.)
There are people who want to help you cope with being you.
Re: Every so often we look at forum software  [message #54683 is a reply to message #54679] Sat, 15 November 2008 23:30 Go to previous message
timmy

Has no life at all

When we migrated last time we managed to keep almost 90% of the look and feel. That is important to us all. The only reason for migration is that it takes, currently, a lot of horsepower and we hope to reduce its load on the server.

Previous Topic: Gay Football???
Next Topic: I have a story that needs an editor
Goto Forum: