A Place of Safety
I expect simple behaviours here. Friendship, and love.
Any advice should be from the perspective of the person asking, not the person giving!
We have had to make new membership moderated to combat the huge number of spammers who register

You are here: Home > Forum > A Place of Safety > General Talk > Homosexuality and Genetics
Homosexuality and Genetics  [message #56001] Tue, 17 March 2009 13:16 Go to next message
Macky is currently offline  Macky

Really getting into it

I have always been sexually attracted exclusively to men. This article says there is an abnormally high occurance of the following 3 traits in gay men.

1. Hair whorls counter clockwise
2. Left handed
3. Younger sibling of older brother

I matched on all 3 traits. I wonder how many of these traits match up for our community members here.

Hugs

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2008/dec/01/homosexuality-genetics-usa

Behold, how good and how pleasant it is
For brothers to dwell together in unity!
Ps 133:1 NASB
Re: Homosexuality and Genetics  [message #56002 is a reply to message #56001] Tue, 17 March 2009 14:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

None of the above

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Re: Homosexuality and Genetics  [message #56003 is a reply to message #56001] Tue, 17 March 2009 15:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dimarvalc is currently offline  dimarvalc

Getting started

I do not share any of them.

Hair whorls clockwise, Right handed, and First Born with just one younger sister.

Tomás

"We are not now that strength which in old days Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are, - One equal temper of heroic hearts, Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield." Ulysses by Tennyson
Re: Homosexuality and Genetics  [message #56004 is a reply to message #56001] Tue, 17 March 2009 16:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JFR is currently offline  JFR

On fire!

What hair? It used to part to the right, but I can't remember back that far.
Right handed.
Eldest of three.

J F R

The paradox has often been noted that the United States, founded in secularism, is now the most religiose country in Christendom, while England, with an established church headed by its constitutional monarch, is among the least. (Richard Dawkins, 2006)
Re: Homosexuality and Genetics  [message #56005 is a reply to message #56001] Tue, 17 March 2009 16:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
arich is currently offline  arich

Really getting into it

LOL I find these studies exceedingly strange! And way too misleading especially for a younger reader, I mean I think it would be way more reasonable for it to be ok for people to experiment when they start getting curious about what turns them on. I know while I have always been primarily attracted to other males I found no harm and a good bit of fun in youthful explorations of the main erogenous zone, that being the one between our ears and behind our eyes. ::-)

But then I am a pretty good poster boy for how not to behave. Razz

Thank you Beetles “Happiness is a warm gun, bang bang shoot shoot” Thank G-d for hot blooded teen boys! I do wish I could go back and do it all over again, I had a great time for the most part even when it was with a girl.Surprised

People will tell you where they've gone
They'll tell you where to go
But till you get there yourself you never really know
Where some have found their paradise
Other's just come to harm
Re: Homosexuality and Genetics  [message #56006 is a reply to message #56001] Tue, 17 March 2009 16:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
acam is currently offline  acam

On fire!

I score 0 out of 3.

Hair doesn't whorl anticlock, strongly right-handed & elder of two brothers.

But I don't fit into any pattern that has been tried on me. I filled in one of those questionnaires on a dating site; it reported that there was a suitable partner for me in Bristol called acam! (But only 94% compatible!

I wonder which bit of my character I don't like. I thought I was a fairly accepting sort of guy!

Aren't these things all a joke?

Love,
Anthony
Re: Homosexuality and Genetics  [message #56024 is a reply to message #56001] Wed, 18 March 2009 09:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Fingolfin is currently offline  Fingolfin

Likes it here

I don't understand the first.
I'm right handed.
Only child.

Seems to be that kind of survey that misleads or somehow is rather meant for fun....

It is better to switch on a small light than to curse the darkness.
- Vincent Šikula, Slovak writer
Re: Homosexuality and Genetics  [message #56025 is a reply to message #56024] Wed, 18 March 2009 13:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Really getting into it

Mark, Bratnik,

The article says that these traits appear among gays more commonly than they do among the general population, to an extent that they are statistically signifucant. That just points out an area for subsequent research. It does not mean you have to exhibit these characteristics to be gay. I posted because I was shocked that the article nailed me on all 3 things. I wondered how widespread the combination of characteristics would be. From this survey we are evidently looking at something akin to 1.2% in the gay population vs 1% in the overall population. BTW my grandparents were from county Spiss. So how do you like the Euro?

Re: Homosexuality and Genetics  [message #56026 is a reply to message #56004] Wed, 18 March 2009 13:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Really getting into it

Bald is beautiful, JFR. But if you used to part pn the right, chances are you are a counter clockwise whorler or else you always had a lock of standup hair like a rooster tail because you parted against the lay of the hair.

Re: Homosexuality and Genetics  [message #56028 is a reply to message #56026] Wed, 18 March 2009 14:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JFR is currently offline  JFR

On fire!

Macky, I don't think I would mind being bald: it's the fact the remnants of what was once a good head of hair still remain to mock me that makes me sigh.

J F R

The paradox has often been noted that the United States, founded in secularism, is now the most religiose country in Christendom, while England, with an established church headed by its constitutional monarch, is among the least. (Richard Dawkins, 2006)
Re: Homosexuality and Genetics  [message #56033 is a reply to message #56028] Wed, 18 March 2009 15:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Really getting into it

Yes, your "little boy" hair in the picture is beautiful. Think of the Gestalt of your hair still living in cyberland.

Re: Homosexuality and Genetics  [message #56083 is a reply to message #56025] Sat, 21 March 2009 22:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
pipo is currently offline  pipo

Toe is in the water

I am sorry, but I find this type of statistical study generally not credible. Had a good laugh last week reading about a study claiming that children conceived by older men were generally "less smart" (my father was 48 years when I was conceived ;-D). Now I know why I went through my school years always surrounded by kids 2 years older than me ... Wink

B.t.w., I am right handed and a second son.I have a younger brother who is left handed and straight. The hair thing I do not understand, so I can't comment on it either way.
Re: Homosexuality and Genetics  [message #56094 is a reply to message #56001] Mon, 23 March 2009 01:08 Go to previous message
saben is currently offline  saben

On fire!

None of the above apply to me...

Correlation is not causation.

There has been a rapid decline in the number of pirates during a period in which global temperatures have been seen to have been increasing. That doesn't mean having less pirates is linked to global warming.

Look at this tree. I cannot make it blossom when it suits me nor make it bear fruit before its time [...] No matter what you do, that seed will grow to be a peach tree. You may wish for an apple or an orange, but you will get a peach.
Master Oogway
Previous Topic: Cults and TV
Next Topic: The Love of Siam
Goto Forum: