A Place of Safety
I expect simple behaviours here. Friendship, and love.
Any advice should be from the perspective of the person asking, not the person giving!
We have had to make new membership moderated to combat the huge number of spammers who register

You are here: Home > Forum > A Place of Safety > General Talk > Off Limits list
Off Limits list  [message #57188] Sat, 30 May 2009 03:00 Go to next message
Cameron is currently offline  Cameron

Toe is in the water

Is there a list somewhere of what subjects are off-limits? I'm not being sarcastic, I'd really like to know. I was not aware until today that there were any subjects that were off-limits. Since I'm the worse in the world for sticking my foot in it, I thought it would be good to be forewarned.
I think that it might be safe to assume ...  [message #57193 is a reply to message #57188] Sat, 30 May 2009 12:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The Gay Deceiver is currently offline  The Gay Deceiver

Really getting into it

... any subject and (sic) environment that spirals "out-of-control" (and however inadvertently) in turn, fosters a degree of rancor through its' discourse would qualify; and Lord knows this past half-dozen years I've been both the author and the poster-child of such circumstance.

Religion and Politics, to name just two, need not necessarily qualify; but, experience shows (and will have shown), that each must both be adroitly, and compassionately, handled to avoid either then being bogged down in a quagmire of dissent and derision and defiance.

We are a disparate group here; of many faiths, races and creeds; of varied governance, some democratic, but, most largely totalitarian when domiciles are considered from global perspectives.

Our charge, be whether the benefit of ourselves or on behalf of others (who may be or are) seeking refuge and or counsel here, must always be the provision of a balanced perspective in every situation. It is extremely difficult to maintain that balance when either Religion or Politics become the (however unintended) focus of any thread under discussion.

Warren C. E. Austin
Toronto, Canada

[Updated on: Sun, 31 May 2009 01:54]

"... comme recherché qu'un délice callipygian"
To give an example.  [message #57194 is a reply to message #57193] Sat, 30 May 2009 12:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The Gay Deceiver is currently offline  The Gay Deceiver

Really getting into it

When a question, or topic, for discussion is posted here, the real-world Identity, City and Country of origin of the originating author may, or may not be known to us (largely because they freely share this information with us) or this information may remain obscured. The same holds true for any of us responding to the thread.

What not be immediately known (although this has been mentioned time and time again) is that this Forum is a "plain-text" vehicle of discussion, which means that neither the topic, nor the responses are encrypted, with all freely searchable, and readable, through the media of the World-wide Web and all, or any, Search technology currently employed.

Therefore, it behooves us all to consider both time and circumstance in any discussion of Religion or Politics because we (may) never know either the religious or political situation that lies behind a question posed in this Forum, and consequently what inherent danger may exist to that person in their having asked it in the first place.

I am able to envision, and I'm certain most everyone here can too, circumstance (and time) whereby an individual asking advise could well be placing themselves and their families in jeopardy simply for being here at all, let alone seeking counsel, only to have that counsel denigrate the very foundation of their existence, not through any willful intent on the part of those participating in the discussion, but through that discussion losing its' focus, and descending into a slinging match by apposition. Couple this with the "free-text" state of this Forum, and with out any doubt at all, we all should be able to discern the real potential for disaster that may exist for some individuals that visit here.

In short, be responsible, and considerate, in all posts to this Forum, and you'll likely as not ever run afoul of being out of bounds.

Warren C. E. Austin
Toronto, Canada

"... comme recherché qu'un délice callipygian"
Re: Off Limits list  [message #57195 is a reply to message #57188] Sat, 30 May 2009 13:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
arich is currently offline  arich

Really getting into it

Just some lyrics from a Joni Mitchell song;

People will tell you where they’ve gone
They’ll tell you where to go
But till you get there yourself you never really know
Where some have found their paradise
Others just come to harm

People will tell you where they've gone
They'll tell you where to go
But till you get there yourself you never really know
Where some have found their paradise
Other's just come to harm
Re: To give an example.  [message #57198 is a reply to message #57194] Sat, 30 May 2009 23:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Toe is in the water

Thanks for the clarification, Warren.
Re: Off Limits list  [message #57267 is a reply to message #57188] Fri, 05 June 2009 21:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Toe is in the water

Warren, I bow to your superior wisdom. I now see and understand more of what I think you were saying. Politics and religion can, indeed, be difficult topics to discuss in a wise and gentle manner.

Cameron
Re: Off Limits list  [message #57270 is a reply to message #57188] Sat, 06 June 2009 06:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
saben is currently offline  saben

On fire!

As far as I'm concerned nothing is off-limits if it is dealt with in a tactful, measured and carefully reasoned manner.

Look at this tree. I cannot make it blossom when it suits me nor make it bear fruit before its time [...] No matter what you do, that seed will grow to be a peach tree. You may wish for an apple or an orange, but you will get a peach.
Master Oogway
Re: Off Limits list  [message #57273 is a reply to message #57270] Sat, 06 June 2009 19:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nigel is currently offline  Nigel

On fire!

Saben, that precondition puts rather a lot of things off-limits.

Hugs
Nigel

I dream of boys with big bulges in their trousers,
Never of girls with big bulges in their blouses.

…and look forward to meeting you in Cóito.
Re: Off Limits list  [message #57282 is a reply to message #57270] Sun, 07 June 2009 13:19 Go to previous message
JimB is currently offline  JimB

Likes it here

If everyone was tactful, measured and reasonable there would be no Off Limits list. The fact that they tend to not be so in regards to religion and politics is why the list exists.

JimB
Previous Topic: This is getting old
Next Topic: Why marraige is sacred
Goto Forum: