A Place of Safety
I expect simple behaviours here. Friendship, and love.
Any advice should be from the perspective of the person asking, not the person giving!
We have had to make new membership moderated to combat the huge number of spammers who register

You are here: Home > Forum > A Place of Safety > General Talk > Sorta touching
Sorta touching  [message #58092] Mon, 27 July 2009 15:53 Go to next message
Macky is currently offline  Macky

Really getting into it

> [edit to embed the video itself - timmy]

[Updated on: Thu, 30 July 2009 12:22] by Moderator

Behold, how good and how pleasant it is
For brothers to dwell together in unity!
Ps 133:1 NASB
Re: Sorta touching  [message #58094 is a reply to message #58092] Mon, 27 July 2009 18:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CallMePaul is currently offline  CallMePaul

Really getting into it

The touching part, at least to me, is that this young man was writing his song in response to homophobic reaction towards his parents. His love shines through but pain is also apparent. His class mates call his fathers 'homos' and I doubt that it's in a joking way. This has to hurt considering how he loves his parents.

We have a loving male couple in my church that have adopted four children over the years. The oldest is a boy who will soon be 15. It's obvious in watching his interaction with his fathers that he loves them very much. I can't help but wonder if he's experienced the same caustic remarks and jibes by his own school mates. It seems pretty likely that he has although I've never questioned him on it. (I couldn't see the point in picking at a scab.)

I look forward to the day when kids see nothing unusual (or perverse from their parents' perspective) about a same sex family. I'm afraid it will be a long time though until the fundamentalist and evangelical mindsets move beyond this.

Youth crisis hot-line 866-488-7386, 24 hr (U.S.A.)
There are people who want to help you cope with being you.
Re: Sorta touching  [message #58111 is a reply to message #58094] Wed, 29 July 2009 14:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ray2x is currently offline  ray2x

Really getting into it

No child in the audience seemed to mind the message of the song. Yet, I can already see the eyes rolling and anger swelling over here if this video were to be found by evangelical ministers. The song's message is rather strong and forceful.

Raymundo
Re: Sorta touching  [message #58120 is a reply to message #58111] Wed, 29 July 2009 23:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jaycracker is currently offline  jaycracker

Likes it here

Watching that made me wonder whether a lot of kids have better perception than those of us who have become set in our ways?

Mike
Re: Sorta touching  [message #58125 is a reply to message #58120] Thu, 30 July 2009 08:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
acam is currently offline  acam

On fire!

"better perception" Mike.g? Surely it is just less prejudice. Young children don't have colour prejudice, either, but happily play with other small children of any colour. But in the playground of the junior school where my daughter is a governor 'gay' is a very common word of disapproval in the playground.

So children won't react badly to a song about two dads but would (possibly) react badly to a song about gay dads. I'd hope not but I've been disappointed before.

Love,
Anthony
Re: Sorta touching  [message #58126 is a reply to message #58125] Thu, 30 July 2009 08:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Fingolfin is currently offline  Fingolfin

Likes it here

Despite being disappointed before, do you not think it is worth trying again and again....? For me, that song sounded honest... And I am glad that it seems it can work...this kind of family type....

Marek

It is better to switch on a small light than to curse the darkness.
- Vincent Šikula, Slovak writer
Re: Sorta touching  [message #58127 is a reply to message #58092] Thu, 30 July 2009 12:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

The youtube comments are interesting. The world has many appalling people in it.

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Re: Sorta touching  [message #58131 is a reply to message #58127] Thu, 30 July 2009 18:31 Go to previous message
saben is currently offline  saben

On fire!

The appalling thing about Youtube comments is often how people try and be inflammatory. Strangely though the comments I read through the first 5 or so pages weren't deliberately offensive, more just ignorant.

People just misunderstand "normal", "normal" means majority to a lot of people. But white people still consider themselves "normal" despite the fact that globally they are a minority. I think it shows that people need to re-evaluate what "normal" means and see the normality that exists within difference.

Look at this tree. I cannot make it blossom when it suits me nor make it bear fruit before its time [...] No matter what you do, that seed will grow to be a peach tree. You may wish for an apple or an orange, but you will get a peach.
Master Oogway
Previous Topic: Brighton Pride 2009
Next Topic: Out in Silence
Goto Forum: