A Place of Safety
I expect simple behaviours here. Friendship, and love.
Any advice should be from the perspective of the person asking, not the person giving!
We have had to make new membership moderated to combat the huge number of spammers who register

You are here: Home > Forum > A Place of Safety > General Talk > Police Raid A Popular Gay Bar
Police Raid A Popular Gay Bar  [message #58680] Mon, 14 September 2009 00:36 Go to next message
M is currently offline  M

Likes it here

Here are the links to the story.

http://www.ajc.com/news/atlanta/atlanta-police-raid-gay-136646.html

http://www.atlantaprogressivenews.com/news/0508.html

I feel sadden by this because it happened in my own neighborhood. The Eagle, popular gay leather bar mentioned in the article, is one of the many hot spots for the gay community in Atlanta. I have never gone to the Eagle, but i do frequent other gay bars around the city. Just thinking that crap like this can still happen is a bit of a wake up call for many of us around the city.

Today, many members of the community came together to protest the unjust treatment enacted by the police. Over 300 people showed up. Sadly i could not attend because i had to work, but i'm glad many others showed up.

http://www.sovo.com/thelatest/thelatest.cfm?blog_id=27160

Photobucket
Picture taken by a friend.

[Updated on: Mon, 14 September 2009 03:35]

You don't love someone because they are beautiful, they are beautiful because you love them.
Re: Police Raid A Popular Gay Bar  [message #58681 is a reply to message #58680] Mon, 14 September 2009 01:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
saben is currently offline  saben

On fire!

Disturbing.

I hope the officers responsible get the book thrown at them.

Pure abuse of power.

Look at this tree. I cannot make it blossom when it suits me nor make it bear fruit before its time [...] No matter what you do, that seed will grow to be a peach tree. You may wish for an apple or an orange, but you will get a peach.
Master Oogway
Re: Police Raid A Popular Gay Bar  [message #58682 is a reply to message #58680] Mon, 14 September 2009 09:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

It is not automatically wrong, just because it is gay, to check a bar, but the manner of the checking seems to be provocative and unpleasant. If they found evidence, real evidence, of offences, prosecute away, but do not persecute.

http://timtrent.blogspot.com/2009/09/stonewall-riots-were-in-1969-now-in.html

This story wherever it is published really does need to go global and very fast indeed.

[Updated on: Mon, 14 September 2009 13:07]

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Re: Police Raid A Popular Gay Bar  [message #58683 is a reply to message #58682] Mon, 14 September 2009 14:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Likes it here

Thank you timmy <3

I happen to know one of the main organizers of the protest. It was very successful. She is doing everything she can to make sure human rights are respected. I'm glad many people are showing support.

You don't love someone because they are beautiful, they are beautiful because you love them.
Re: Police Raid A Popular Gay Bar  [message #58684 is a reply to message #58683] Mon, 14 September 2009 15:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

And if it proves that crimes were committed then the accused have the human right to being arrested with dignity intact and to a fair trial.

It is important that a meeting place is safe for all concerned. While I don't find a gay leather bar to my taste I want to be able to visit it knowing that I may be titillated but will not be outraged.

I think there were more folk in that protest than were inthe reading Pride procession! Go figure!

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Re: Police Raid A Popular Gay Bar  [message #58685 is a reply to message #58680] Mon, 14 September 2009 15:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
johnleeb is currently offline  johnleeb

Toe is in the water

Certainly not an isolated incident. Here in Phoenix, they were raiding gay bars in much the same manner, through the mid 90's or later. It took gay friendly mayors to make a difference. The city now has police and fire fighter recruitment booths at Gay Pride events, while the state has gotten more red-necked (and politically red).

What would happen in Atlanta if someone called and said there was sex going on in a church? They would probably laugh off unless it was MCC.
Re: Police Raid A Popular Gay Bar  [message #58689 is a reply to message #58680] Mon, 14 September 2009 21:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

There seems to be an increasing number of bloggers covering this story. One comment on mind suggests writing to the Georgia toursim guy telling him why we will not be visiting Atlanta. Obviously I would not be visiting Atlanta anyway, but I sent an email abut the tour I was no longer feeling safe about bringing there.

[Updated on: Mon, 14 September 2009 21:56]

Re: Police Raid A Popular Gay Bar: Update  [message #58712 is a reply to message #58680] Tue, 15 September 2009 17:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Likes it here

The Atlanta Police department finally released the anonymous complaints that lead to the Eagle being raid.

http://www.sovo.com/thelatest/thelatest.cfm?blog_id=27208

Clearly someone made a bad judgement call. Did such activities merit the excessive use of force and number of officers involved? I don't think so.

According to the Police, several months of undercover work lead up to the events of september 11. Police officers reported having witnessed what appeared to be sex acts and men dancing around in their underware accepting money from patrons. However, no arrest were made then. Instead, they waited till september 11 to violate the civil rights of 62 other patrons, who were not engaging in sexual activites, that had no idea what was going on.

Odd enough, of the 8 people arrested, none were charged with performing sexual acts.

http://www.sovo.com/thelatest/thelatest.cfm?blog_id=27196

For these reasons, many members of the Atlanta gay community will be taking their complaints to City Hall because stuff like this should not happen.
The protest will take place sept 19th and many are already planning to attend as support for the cause increases.

The protest organizer explains....

"What happened at the Eagle stops here and now. The Atlanta community at large will not stand for raids on any venue without substantiated complaints, proper protocol in carrying out investigations and, if warranted, justified arrests."

"Our intent is to show the City of Atlanta and the APD the vast number of community members who are concerned about what happened & that we want answers to valid questions:

-Is typical protocol for these type of charges normally a citation and not arrest?
-Was this high number of APD officers the best use to address such minimal charges with Atlanta crime concerns skyrocketing?
-Why was intervention by City Council candidates necessary for the release of the staff after 19 hours in jail on no bond?
-Why does APD have an LGBT liaison if that position is not utilized?
-Who is to be held accountable for the formal filed complaints of mistreatment?
-Where has Mayor Franklin been and why hasn't she made a statement?"

Re: Police Raid A Popular Gay Bar: Update  [message #58714 is a reply to message #58712] Tue, 15 September 2009 19:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

Thanks for the update. I'm continuing to cover this at http://timtrent.blogspot.com/2009/09/atlanta-eagle-update.html abd have drawn some additional resources together there.

Re: Police Raid A Popular Gay Bar: Update  [message #58717 is a reply to message #58714] Tue, 15 September 2009 20:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Likes it here

I already made arrangements at work to arrive a little late. I will be attending the protest/rally with my fellow community members sept 19th to make sure our voice is heard. Many of my friends are attending. I was sad I could not attend the last one.

I will be taking my camara and document the event as seen through my eyes. Will check back here to share what I saw and what was acomplished.

[Updated on: Tue, 15 September 2009 20:25]

Re: Police Raid A Popular Gay Bar  [message #58844 is a reply to message #58680] Thu, 24 September 2009 22:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

I thought you might like to see some correspondence I have had with Atlanta over the raid and its effect on gay tourism:

http://timtrent.blogspot.com/2009/09/atlanta-eagle-raid-and-tourism.html

Re: Police Raid A Popular Gay Bar  [message #58860 is a reply to message #58844] Fri, 25 September 2009 21:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

This is getting interesting. M, this is for you, since you live in that neighbourhood, and is the small contribution I can make to your area, and to gay rights in general: http://www.sovo.com/thelatest/thelatest.cfm?blog_id=27370

[Updated on: Fri, 25 September 2009 21:00]

Re: Police Raid A Popular Gay Bar  [message #58862 is a reply to message #58860] Sat, 26 September 2009 04:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Likes it here

Wow timmy. This is really cool.
Did you get a second reply?

Re: Police Raid A Popular Gay Bar  [message #58863 is a reply to message #58862] Sat, 26 September 2009 06:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

Nothing yet. And I suspect I will get nothing. But I have made sure it has hit a wider news vehicle than my blog Smile

The court rules  [message #61318 is a reply to message #58680] Fri, 12 March 2010 21:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

And the final result:

http://www.365gay.com/news/judge-rules-for-gay-bar-in-raid-case/

A ruling for common sense and against bigotry.

Atlanta to Pay $1 Million Settlement for Bar Raid ...  [message #65079 is a reply to message #58680] Tue, 07 December 2010 13:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The Gay Deceiver is currently offline  The Gay Deceiver

Really getting into it

... so reports the advocate.com web-site this morning:

Atlanta to Pay $1 Million Settlement for Bar Raid:

http://www.advocate.com/News/Daily_News/2010/12/07/Atlanta_to_Pay_$1_Million_for_Gay_Bar_Raid/

And yesterday:

Atlanta Settles With Gay Bar Raided in '09:

http://www.advocate.com/News/Daily_News/2010/12/06/Atlanta_Settles_With_Gay_Bar_Raided_in_09/

Warren C. E. Austin
The Gay Deceiver
Toronto, Canada

[Updated on: Tue, 07 December 2010 13:37]

"... comme recherché qu'un délice callipygian"
Re: Atlanta to Pay $1 Million Settlement for Bar Raid ...  [message #65081 is a reply to message #65079] Wed, 08 December 2010 14:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Likes it here

I remember this all too well since this happened in my community.

Re: Atlanta to Pay $1 Million Settlement for Bar Raid ...  [message #65083 is a reply to message #65081] Wed, 08 December 2010 16:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The Gay Deceiver is currently offline  The Gay Deceiver

Really getting into it

I know, and it was for that very reason, and that you had authored this original thread on the story, being why I resurrected it from the archives in order that I might add the update for those that may have been interested.

Warren C. E. Austin
The Gay Deceiver
Toronto, Canada

"... comme recherché qu'un délice callipygian"
Re: Police Raid A Popular Gay Bar  [message #65094 is a reply to message #58680] Thu, 09 December 2010 17:07 Go to previous message
Brody Levesque is currently offline  Brody Levesque

Really getting into it

Atlanta Mayor Apologizes For Eagle Raid
Previous Topic: "Kill The Gays" Bill Author David Bahati On Rachel Maddow
Next Topic: When did you Choose?
Goto Forum: