A Place of Safety
I expect simple behaviours here. Friendship, and love.
Any advice should be from the perspective of the person asking, not the person giving!
We have had to make new membership moderated to combat the huge number of spammers who register

You are here: Home > Forum > A Place of Safety > General Talk > Sex abuse rife in other religions, says Vatican
Sex abuse rife in other religions, says Vatican  [message #58907] Tue, 29 September 2009 21:51 Go to next message
M is currently offline  M

Likes it here

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2009/sep/28/sex-abuse-religion-vatican

the Holy See said the majority of Catholic clergy who committed such acts [sexual abuse] were not paedophiles but homosexuals attracted to sex with adolescent males.

The statement, read out by Archbishop Silvano Tomasi, the Vatican's permanent observer to the UN, defended its record by claiming that "available research" showed that only 1.5%-5% of Catholic clergy were involved in child sex abuse

He also quoted statistics from the Christian Scientist Monitor newspaper to show that most US churches being hit by child sex abuse allegations were Protestant and that sexual abuse within Jewish communities was common.

This is why i don't like religious institutions. They hide under a veil of holiness and righteousness to justify illegal acts. Sure, it's easy to point the finger, but why not just accept the fact that all religious institutions need not protect paedophiles; instead, they should turn them in to authorities so they can be punished to the full extent of the law.

You don't love someone because they are beautiful, they are beautiful because you love them.
Re: Sex abuse rife in other religions, says Vatican  [message #58908 is a reply to message #58907] Tue, 29 September 2009 21:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

Do not trust the black cloaked bastards!

I love the way they conflate homosexuality and paedophilia. They are evil, evil, evil people.

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Re: Sex abuse rife in other religions, says Vatican  [message #58909 is a reply to message #58907] Tue, 29 September 2009 22:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

Of all the world religions, Roman Catholicism has been hardest hit by sex abuse scandals. In the US, churches have paid more than $2bn (£1.25bn) in compensation to victims. In Ireland, reports into clerical sexual abuse have rocked both the Catholic hierarchy and the state.

The Ryan Report, published last May, revealed that beatings and humiliation by nuns and priests were common at institutions that held up to 30,000 children. A nine-year investigation found that Catholic priests and nuns for decades terrorised thousands of boys and girls, while government inspectors failed to stop the abuse.

That is a quote from the same article. Ireland has had industrial scale abuse, physical, sexual and emotional, of boys and girls by the black cloaked bastards for more decades than anyone can remember. The Roman Catholic Clergy has a very bad reputation. Never go near one, not now, not ever.

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Re: Sex abuse rife in other religions, says Vatican  [message #58922 is a reply to message #58907] Wed, 30 September 2009 09:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
acam is currently offline  acam

On fire!

Yes, M. You can tell they're squirming from the language they use. You quoted:

"the Holy See said the majority of Catholic clergy who committed such acts [sexual abuse] were not paedophiles but homosexuals attracted to sex with adolescent males."

As if there were homosexuals not attracted to sex with adolescent males!

And how young does an adolescent male have to be before being attracted to one makes a person a potential paedophile?

Adolescent is explicitly NOT adult, but I would not think a twenty-year old was adolescent any more.

I'd agree with most of what you wrote but please don't confuse law with morality. The church tries to justify immoral acts. Some illegal acts are moral and some immoral acts are legal. I have very little respect for the law since almost the whole of my sex life before marriage was illegal and I could have been punished for it if I had been caught.

Love,
Anthony
Re: Sex abuse rife in other religions, says Vatican  [message #58924 is a reply to message #58908] Wed, 30 September 2009 11:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

I've covered this, now, at http://timtrent.blogspot.com/2009/09/marketing-of-blame.html

Somehow that seemed more pressing than adding a couple more story chapters. That comes next.

Re: Sex abuse rife in other religions, says Vatican  [message #58930 is a reply to message #58909] Wed, 30 September 2009 13:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Brody Levesque is currently offline  Brody Levesque

Really getting into it

Wednesday, September 30, 2009
Brody's Notes... Swift angry responses in growing debate over Vatican diplomat's remarks

By Brody Levesque (Washington DC) Sept 30 | LGBT bloggers world-wide are outraged and disgusted over the statement issued by the Vatican on Monday, Sept 28th, at a conference of the United Nations Council on Human Rights held in Geneva, Switzerland:

The statement, read out by Archbishop Silvano Tomasi, the Vatican's permanent observer to the UN, defended its record by claiming that,
"available research showed that only 1.5%-5% of Catholic clergy were involved in child sex abuse." He continued by stating that,
"the majority of Catholic clergy who committed such acts were not paedophiles but homosexuals attracted to sex with adolescent males."

One blogger commented that:

The group SNAP (which stands for something like Survivor's Network of people Abused by Priests) estimates that the majority of those abused were girls, which is the case with most sexual abuse of minors.
I can only imagine that the media and the church are so hung up on abusing boys because that's the REAL tragedy. Females are supposed to be used for sex, so the only problem with abusing girls is that they're too young. But touching boys is gay and therefore bad.
It would be wrong for the Catholic church to argue that it was mostly girls, so it's ok, but by ignoring more than half the victims, they're implicitly saying that the abuse of girls is not part of the wrong doing.

Another stated that:
The Church has used the focus upon boys to try and scapegoat "gay" priests for the scandal.
Huge surprise.
As for women, girs impregnated by priests in Ireland were locked up in the Laundries to preserve the secret; they spent their lives cleaning the linens of the very priests who not only raped them but frequently cane back to the Laundries to help themselves to 'seconds.'
If the UN had any stones, they would declare the Vatican City-State to be a rogue nation and send in troops to stop the crime syndicate that is operating out of Mons Vaticanus.

Tim Trent, BN&S correspondent from Bracknell, UK, said:

I was heartily disgusted to read the Guardian article entitled 'Sex abuse rife in other religions, says Vatican'. The attempt to divert attention from the industrial scale abuse of boys and girls by Roman Catholic priests and nuns is odious, and the language they are quoted as using to try to do so is appalling.
For more of Tim's article; The Marketing of Blame, please go to his website, Marketing By Permission.

Adam Blaze, the managing editor of The Bilerico Project had this to say in his article, The Vatican Talks Man-Boy Love:

We're not so bad, at least not as bad as those child molestin' Protestant whores! And the Jews... don't get us started, don't even get us started!
Only 5% of priests have touched those beautiful, barely-11 (seriously, that's the line the Church is drawing) boys' bodies. That's about the chance Britney Spears has underwear on! *rimshot*

Efforts to get a response from Vatican diplomats at the Embassy of The Holy See here in Washington D.C. were rebuffed and instead BN&S was referred to the Vatican Mission to the United Nations in New York. A spokesperson there refused comment other than to say that the Archbishop's statement and remarks were approved by the Vatican.

[Updated on: Wed, 30 September 2009 13:39]

Re: Sex abuse rife in other religions, says Vatican  [message #58932 is a reply to message #58930] Wed, 30 September 2009 13:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Macky is currently offline  Macky

Really getting into it

"the majority of Catholic clergy who committed such acts were not paedophiles but homosexuals attracted to sex with adolescent males."

That is a really sick thing to say. These folks are lower than whale shit.

Behold, how good and how pleasant it is
For brothers to dwell together in unity!
Ps 133:1 NASB
Homosexuals vs pedophiles  [message #58941 is a reply to message #58907] Wed, 30 September 2009 19:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
saben is currently offline  saben

On fire!

Whichever the priests are considered the important thing to remember is that most were rapists.

We've had heated discussions in the past about the morality of age of consent violations.

But in most cases the priests were taking advantage of their positions of power.

Usually the victims were adolescent. This, by my definition means they were paedophiles (who are attracted to pre-pubescents). But given some victims were female the priests weren't exclusively homosexual either.

This institutionalised abuse is hard to characterise as being of a single type. Needless to say that the majority of what went on was non-consentual and harmful and thus abuse.

Look at this tree. I cannot make it blossom when it suits me nor make it bear fruit before its time [...] No matter what you do, that seed will grow to be a peach tree. You may wish for an apple or an orange, but you will get a peach.
Master Oogway
Definition of rape  [message #58949 is a reply to message #58941] Thu, 01 October 2009 11:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
acam is currently offline  acam

On fire!

Well, Saben, I agree with the sentiment but not with your words. Pubescent people are also adolescent. Are you saying that an adolescent person cannot have sex willingly or initiate it?

Are you saying that if they consent to it they are wrong? Note that the notion of rape, which ought to be the word for sex forced on an unwilling victim, has been perverted by the new laws so that sex with anyone below the age of consent is defined as rape. This makes rational discussion of rape difficult.

And it seems to me that it is quite clear that some 15 year old people are capable of wanting sex and initiating it and of coming to no harm thereby - yet that may still be legally defined as rape - and they have been raped even if their partner was younger than they were!

When there is no victim, in my view, there ought to be no crime.

And, by the way the age of consent in Spain is 13! Are all people in the rest of Europe and America and Oz &c less mature than the spaniards?

And by the way I think that the effect of the spanish age of consent is that when people in Spain begin their sexual careers they are much less likely to get the police and others involved in what they do and I think that is a good thing.

Even if someone of 18 does have sex with a 13-year-old and it was wrong I think the situation is almost never improved by involving the police.

Love,
Anthony

[Updated on: Thu, 01 October 2009 11:02]

Re: Definition of rape  [message #58962 is a reply to message #58949] Fri, 02 October 2009 03:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ray2x is currently offline  ray2x

Really getting into it

It's definitely about the power and it's definitely not limited to the Catholic Church. The Boy Scouts. Minor league hockey teams in Canada. The GOP. And then, a group can blithely say it was those damn homosexuals who just couldn't control themselves.

Raymundo
Targets of abuse, sex of the abuser.  [message #58963 is a reply to message #58962] Fri, 02 October 2009 10:17 Go to previous message
timmy

Has no life at all

We forget, because we are gay or bi, that there is one major other target for sexual abuse: Girls.

Girls get abused. A lot of girls. A very great lot of girls

The abuser is also by no means always a man. Recent UK figures have stated that 25% at least of abuse victims are abused by women. Women and men abuse girls and boys.

This is not limited to those of us with a penis.

Men and women who abuse children abuse children. The sex of the victim is often irrelevant. It's a small child, powerless, and thus available. They're pretty much asexual beings at the age many are abused. They are just vehicles for achieving orgasm, meat.

And pain is often the "plus point" for the abuser when a child is abused.

[Updated on: Fri, 02 October 2009 10:20]

Previous Topic: Choices & Sex Workers
Next Topic: This interested me
Goto Forum: