A Place of Safety
I expect simple behaviours here. Friendship, and love.
Any advice should be from the perspective of the person asking, not the person giving!
We have had to make new membership moderated to combat the huge number of spammers who register

You are here: Home > Forum > A Place of Safety > General Talk > Declaration of Conscience
Declaration of Conscience  [message #59099] Wed, 14 October 2009 05:43 Go to next message
yusime is currently offline  yusime

Likes it here

Speech given by a United States Senator. Even though it was given in 1950 it is pretty relevant for today's politics in America. Enjoy.

http://www.americanrhetoric.com/speeches/margaretchasesmithconscience.html

He who joyfully marches in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake since for him a spinal cord would suffice. Albert Einstein
Off topic?  [message #59101 is a reply to message #59099] Wed, 14 October 2009 09:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
acam is currently offline  acam

On fire!

Isn't this a bit off topic? I usually look at what people post so as to be able to join in the discussion but I couldn't find anything in this speech that sparked my interest or that I saw as relevant to APOS.

And even though it only took a few minutes and my time is cheap, I regretted it.

Perhaps you can tell me what I missed, Pat?

Love,
Anthony
Re: Off topic?  [message #59103 is a reply to message #59101] Wed, 14 October 2009 11:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
E.J. is currently offline  E.J.

Really getting into it

Since you seem to have appointed yourself as forum monitor, what topics would you approve of?

(\\__/) And if you don't believe The sun will rise
(='.'=) Stand alone and greet The coming night
(")_(") In the last remaining light. (C. Cornell)
Re: Declaration of Conscience  [message #59105 is a reply to message #59099] Wed, 14 October 2009 14:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
arich is currently offline  arich

Really getting into it

Sadly it was the last administration that did destroy our reputation world wide, so much so we now find our selves in pretty much in an untenable situation with too many looking to hang the blame of the worlds problems and solution for those problems on the US.

Every country, nationality, tribe and creed needs to start taking responsibility for there own actions or inactions. Silence can not be answered, intolerance will be answered negatively, reason must prevail or we will all live the consequences!

People will tell you where they've gone
They'll tell you where to go
But till you get there yourself you never really know
Where some have found their paradise
Other's just come to harm
Is this a matter of conscience?  [message #59106 is a reply to message #59099] Wed, 14 October 2009 19:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JFR is currently offline  JFR

On fire!

French amateur football (soccer) club Creteil Bebel has been permanently banned from the French amateur league on Wednesday after refusing to play a match against a gay team. Last week, Paris Foot Gay said its members were victims of homophobia when Creteil, a team of Muslim players, refused to play them earlier this month. (AP)

The paradox has often been noted that the United States, founded in secularism, is now the most religiose country in Christendom, while England, with an established church headed by its constitutional monarch, is among the least. (Richard Dawkins, 2006)
Re: Off topic?  [message #59107 is a reply to message #59103] Wed, 14 October 2009 19:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message

On fire!

Hi, E.J.

As I see it the question was legitimate, regardless of what the "correct" answer might be. Anthony does not have to say what topics he would approve: he just asked why that particular speech was posted here for us to read. I don't think the 'tone' of your post was appropriate in the circumstances. Perhaps, if you explain why you have chosen to react in this manner I will understand better.

J F R

The paradox has often been noted that the United States, founded in secularism, is now the most religiose country in Christendom, while England, with an established church headed by its constitutional monarch, is among the least. (Richard Dawkins, 2006)
Re: Declaration of Conscience  [message #59111 is a reply to message #59105] Thu, 15 October 2009 06:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yusime is currently offline  yusime

Likes it here

Arich, you have explained part of the reason I posted the speech in the first place. Because the US has such an expansive role in the affairs of other nations at large the underlying philosophy of the government of the US has some very overreaching impacts on the world at large. The way the Republican party decided to attain power was through fear and hate based policies at the end of their rule and it's not over yet. Instead of promoting logical policies that benefit the role the US government plays domestically and internationally the Republicans changed into a party based on the primary purpose of destroying all ideologies that differ from their own in order to gain political authority. Regardless as to the relevance of the speech to the forum the idea of victory at any cost is a dangerous system to engage unless someone wishes to ruin international cooperation for world authority. I also thought someone might find the speech to be interesting and didn't think people here had heard of the speech.

He who joyfully marches in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake since for him a spinal cord would suffice. Albert Einstein
Re: Off topic?  [message #59116 is a reply to message #59107] Thu, 15 October 2009 14:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
arich is currently offline  arich

Really getting into it

Wow wait am I miss reading here? I think they were both exercising their rights, now what I may think about what was said by each I will refrain from commenting on I don’t want to be accused of bein rude. LOL ::-)

People will tell you where they've gone
They'll tell you where to go
But till you get there yourself you never really know
Where some have found their paradise
Other's just come to harm
Re: Off topic?  [message #59117 is a reply to message #59107] Thu, 15 October 2009 15:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JimB is currently offline  JimB

Likes it here

I agree with EJ. Anthony's reply seemed to criticize Pat for his post and indicated that there are topics that are and are not relevant to this forum. His reply further indicated that the criteria for deeming something relevant was whether or not Anthony was able to join in on the discussion or found the topic of interest.

“Relevant to APOS”, now that is a real laugh. I've been participating here long enough to have learned that relevancy is, like beauty, in the eye of the beholder. As Pat indicated, he wanted to discuss how this 50+ year-old speech reflected on the current state of American politics. If one does not find such a topic “sparking” his or her interest then one does not need to participate in the discussion. But to suggest that the initiator of the thread should not have posted it is very much what Senator Smith's letter was about: we should not fear speaking out on any topic because it is unpopular.

In my opinion, speaking our opinion without fear is exactly what APOS is about. In addition, not posting on topics that I don't find interesting is an action I take frequently.

JimB
Re: Off topic?  [message #59132 is a reply to message #59117] Fri, 16 October 2009 04:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message

On fire!

Hi JimB,

This is not the first time that Anthony has written something that suggests that he works on the assumption that this is a forum to discuss matters directly concerning the GLBT community.

Since I was here from the beginning I know what Timmy's original intention for this forum was - a haven for young gays to express themselves without fear and to receive the best advice and encouragement available. (That explains his anguish that we seem to have driven them all away.)

But forums (fora?) have a life of their own and people use them as they will. Over the years we have seen people come and we have seen people go, but basically this has become a forum where 'people' discuss 'things' with like-minded 'friends'. (I have said on more than one occasions that for me this is a kind of club where I can just be me - something that I cannot do in RL.) The 'glue' that binds us all together is sexual orientation. That is all.

So, at this stage in the development of this forum I would say that JimB is right: what anyone wants to say is 'on topic' - and that's fine by me. Anthony obviously thinks that the topics discussed should have a GLBT slant of some kind.

Even though I agree with JimB I still think that E.J.'s remonstrance could have been couched in gentler terms. Maybe it's a question of geography.

J F R

Re: Off topic?  [message #59137 is a reply to message #59132] Fri, 16 October 2009 06:04 Go to previous message
saben is currently offline  saben

On fire!

There's a difference between posting something not just about GLBT matters and just wholesale copying links or massive bodies of text without context.

Pat seems to prefer the latter.

I'm inclined to agree with Anthony. What is the purpose of posting links or copying entire bodies of text without context? We can discuss politics, religion, the weather or any other topic. But surely it needs a context and platform for discussion.

Posting links from long-dead American politicians or conspiracy theories from another website doesn't really seem to excite discussion. Many of pat's posts seem to be left unreplied to.

Look at this tree. I cannot make it blossom when it suits me nor make it bear fruit before its time [...] No matter what you do, that seed will grow to be a peach tree. You may wish for an apple or an orange, but you will get a peach.
Master Oogway
Previous Topic: Inside the Life of Queer Sex-Workers
Next Topic: Why do other people think it is their business?
Goto Forum: