A Place of Safety
I expect simple behaviours here. Friendship, and love.
Any advice should be from the perspective of the person asking, not the person giving!
We have had to make new membership moderated to combat the huge number of spammers who register

You are here: Home > Forum > A Place of Safety > General Talk > Here is a major change for very basic protections
Here is a major change for very basic protections  [message #59497] Thu, 12 November 2009 06:39 Go to next message
yusime is currently offline  yusime

Likes it here

http://home.suddenlink.net/news/read.php?rip_id=%3CD9BTJNCG0%40news.ap.org%3E&ps=1011&_LT=HOME_LARSDCCL3_UNEWS

Mormons of all the religious people in the country well just read and you will get the point.

He who joyfully marches in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake since for him a spinal cord would suffice. Albert Einstein
Re: Here is a major change for very basic protections  [message #59501 is a reply to message #59497] Fri, 13 November 2009 14:35 Go to previous message
saben is currently offline  saben

On fire!

Mormons are very fundamentalist in their beliefs on the family. But Mormons also are one of the more persecuted minority religions (Christian, anyway) in American history. Mormons don't hate homosexuals any more than they hate say alcoholics. The church teaches that both may have genetic elements that give a predisposition to "sin", but neither is justified.

So it is consistent. Mormon faith doesn't teach hate. It is a religion of love, conscience and respect for the freedom of others. I don't know why they don't support gay marriage, to be honest. I know they have a strict definition of marriage, but it's a definition not embraced by the rest of the world anyway. Opening up the doors to gay marriage would also open up the doors to "covenant marriage" and the removal of "no fault divorce" for Mormon couples that choose an alternate marriage arrangement.

I really think governments should allow more diverse marriage contracts and more diverse forms of marriage. Religions would benefit as well as gay and lesbian people.

Look at this tree. I cannot make it blossom when it suits me nor make it bear fruit before its time [...] No matter what you do, that seed will grow to be a peach tree. You may wish for an apple or an orange, but you will get a peach.
Master Oogway
Previous Topic: Workplace Equality & Violence:Top Concerns For Irish LGBT
Next Topic: New Research Finds Bullying Likely to Occur in the Classroom
Goto Forum: