A Place of Safety
I expect simple behaviours here. Friendship, and love.
Any advice should be from the perspective of the person asking, not the person giving!
We have had to make new membership moderated to combat the huge number of spammers who register

You are here: Home > Forum > A Place of Safety > General Talk > Uganda Kill the Gays Bill
Uganda Kill the Gays Bill  [message #59948] Thu, 03 December 2009 11:34 Go to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

Have you done anything about this?

The smallest gesture is to sign http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/Uganda_Christians/ and to pass it to your many friends

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Re: Uganda Kill the Gays Bill  [message #60113 is a reply to message #59948] Wed, 09 December 2009 23:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

Uganda now trades death penalty for reparative therapy. A good climbdown, but it does make me wonder still. See http://timtrent.blogspot.com/2009/12/uganda-drops-death-penalty-for.html

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
By no means over  [message #60123 is a reply to message #59948] Thu, 10 December 2009 10:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

I really have no idea how much you guys are following this, or are even interested. Now I happen to think it is the most evil news to hit gay folks since Adolf Hitler. I know you read the posts. I guess you don;t say much because you're just plain horrified.

I know many of you (and I mean those who read as well as those who post) do take the little action we small people can take because I see names on petitions that I recognise. And i guess my head is almost uniquely over the parapet and your heads are below it. So I just want to make sure you're on top of the situation and read the news.

This part says "It is not yet over!"

http://timtrent.blogspot.com/2009/12/rachel-maddow-on-ugandas-amended-kill.html

Yes, we have a minor victory. "No death penalty no more." And yes, the halfwits have embraced reparative therapy. But the rest of this bill still stands.

Re: By no means over  [message #60125 is a reply to message #60123] Thu, 10 December 2009 12:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
acam is currently offline  acam

On fire!

Quite so, Timmy. They've changed it from 'kill the gays' to lets be really nasty to the gays and 'cure' them (not too far from the extreme right of the USA really).

But I sign petitions, vote for my gay M P and give money to Stonewall. Maybe even walking about in tights makes a bit of a statement - but it isn't easy to see what else one can do. Uganda isn't that much worse a place than when Idi Amin ruled it. Iran is as bad and so are a few other places.

Love,
Anthony
Re: By no means over  [message #60126 is a reply to message #60125] Thu, 10 December 2009 14:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

I know you do all those things. I agree that Uganda sucks. So did Nazi Germany. But that something has sucked for a long time, and that other nations also suck is no reason for us to rest and not campaign.

Re: By no means over  [message #60128 is a reply to message #60123] Thu, 10 December 2009 15:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
saben is currently offline  saben

On fire!

I'm a little overwhelmed and don't know what to do about it. I'll sign the petitions but beyond that I have no real comment. I don't know what to say. Other than "wow, that sucks and is evil".

So...

"Wow that sucks and is evil".

Look at this tree. I cannot make it blossom when it suits me nor make it bear fruit before its time [...] No matter what you do, that seed will grow to be a peach tree. You may wish for an apple or an orange, but you will get a peach.
Master Oogway
Re: By no means over  [message #60129 is a reply to message #60128] Thu, 10 December 2009 15:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

You know, while saying that is by no means all we can do, it's a great start. Damn, that sounds patronising, and I don't mean to be. Please read the feeling behind it, not the words alone.

I am so horrified by this that I hardly have coherent words to express it myself. I know that means I'm adding to noise and clutter, but I think that the noise and the clutter are the thing that has turned Uganda away from putting homosexuals to death.

It's a case of saying it often and in as many right places as we can. It's about sharing the information which will, eventually, hit the right pair of eyes and ears.

It's awful and evil. And even just saying so in public, even in this protected public arena, makes a difference.

As time passes the sponsors of this from the US organisations who have power there are turning away. Twitter just has a note, so far unsubstantiated, that Rick Warren is now against the Uganda law.

It is people like you and me, our voices, who have achieved this.

Re: By no means over  [message #60131 is a reply to message #60129] Thu, 10 December 2009 16:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Brody Levesque is currently offline  Brody Levesque

Really getting into it

"What I can do really? What can I say? I mean after all, Uganda is just a little piss-pot shit hole of a third world nation right?" Now, I realise that this post is gonna antagonize some of you, but here's the thing. Tim is raising a massive excellent point here, and I agree with him 100%.

The problem is that too many will keep silent,[in general not specific to this MB folks] or they'll possibly sign an on-line petition or two. Some may even go another step and write a letter or draft and send an e-mail to their elected representatives. The problem is that the view/perception that is commonly held is that even though its deplorable & evil, it doesn't directly affect them. Hmm, there were a few in the late 1930's who probably held that sort of view of Herr Hitler. A more contemporary to that example would be perceptions of Middle Eastern Islamic fanatics until somebody decided to fly a few airliners into a few buildings in the United States.

Okay and before you all yell, "Now just hold on a minute Brody, you're comparing apples & oranges." Think about it for a long moment...

Am I really? Answer this question for me. How well aware are you personally of the true reach and sphere of influence that the Yank Evangelicals have globally? Even the American press reports in this specific instance that the far right has its tentacles in deep. Let's face it, the so-called Ultra-Christians on the right regarding the subject of Homosexuality are pretty much a hateful and extremest lot no different than the Taliban or Al-Qaeda. Here's a quick reference:http://www.time.com/time/world/article/0,8599,1946645,00.html?iid=moreontime

The argument that "It doesn't concern me and there's really nothing I can do..." is LAME. There is a lot you can do. For example, picking up the phone let's say and calling Rowan Williams' office to register your displeasure for those of you that live in Britain. Oh and while you're doing that, why not see if the bloody Church can justify the actions of its prelate in Uganda in helping to push this onerous piece of legislation? Not very Christian sounding to me. Then of course, if Williams is so opposed, why not ask whoever you get on the phone why the Archbishop hasn't publicly taken the Yank ministers and instigators to task? Has William's bothered to call say Reverend Rick Warren?

BLOG about the issue......go to a pub.....or bar here, write to the newspapers, [what few are left publishing] You get the point. Yeah, Uganda is a piss-pot 3rd world nation probably, but here's the thing; Nasty crap like that bill has a very bad way of spreading not unlike a virus. The worst part is that even the thinking behind it will spread and some bozo politician somewhere will align him or her self with another bloody Church type to justify that crap.

Be Proactive, Get Creative, BE LOUD!.....

ANYbody can make a difference even if the actual contribution to the greater effort may seem minuscule in comparison.

I know that many of you here do not like it when I refer to the LGBT people as a community. But in this instance, wouldn't it be better to think that way? Combating this ugliness is a global community effort which involves all mankind or human-kind to be less gender specific.

Even though the bill has now been modified...the BASE tenets and provisions are still the same. Passage will be a victory for those who feel in their so-called "loving" Christian way that same-gender relationships are un natural, against the Word of God, etc, etc, etc.

The smallest step people, the smallest action, the very act of concern, these ALL make a difference.

[Updated on: Thu, 10 December 2009 17:28]

Re: By no means over  [message #60132 is a reply to message #60131] Thu, 10 December 2009 16:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

Brody Levesque wrote:
> "What I can do really? What can I say? I mean after all, Uganda is just a little piss-pot shit hole of a third world nation right?" Now, I realise that this post is gonna antagonize some of you, but here's the thing. Tim is raising a massive excellent point here, and I agree with him 100%.

http://timtrent.blogspot.com/2009/12/why-do-i-care-about-uganda-anyway.html

I also agree with the rest. I think I said it more gently, but passion has a place. I wear my passion elsewhere, on my blog.

I'm not accusing folk of lack of interest, nor even lack of action. I'm simply looking at my own heritage - that of my family escaping the Holocaust and trying to pay something back.

This is what people power achieved  [message #60133 is a reply to message #60129] Thu, 10 December 2009 16:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

http://www.abpnews.com/content/view/4634/53/

He was forced to make a comment and condemn the proposed law.

WE did that. We little people. We who spoke, twittered, blogged, emailed, petitioned. WE did that and we can be proud.

Another link ....  [message #60145 is a reply to message #60133] Fri, 11 December 2009 01:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The Gay Deceiver is currently offline  The Gay Deceiver

Really getting into it

... with a slightly different take on the same new article, as reported widely this morning at AOL.COM.

http://www.politicsdaily.com/2009/12/10/under-pressure-rick-warren-condemns-ugandan-anti-gay-bill/?icid=main|netscape|dl1|link1|http%3A%2F%2Fwww.politicsdaily.com%2F2009%2F12%2F10%2Funder-pressure-rick-warren-condemns-ugandan-anti-gay-bill%2F

Warren C. E. Austin
The Gay Deceiver
Toronto, Canada

"... comme recherché qu'un délice callipygian"
Re: Another link ....  [message #60148 is a reply to message #60145] Fri, 11 December 2009 11:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

When the going gets tough the toughs start running?

Watch the video, Anthony  [message #60294 is a reply to message #59948] Sun, 20 December 2009 13:05 Go to previous message
timmy

Has no life at all

Not in this post, obviously. The one at the top of the thread.

It seems you missed this and other reliable sources.

Previous Topic: Uganda
Next Topic: If homeland security caught him.......
Goto Forum: