A Place of Safety
I expect simple behaviours here. Friendship, and love.
Any advice should be from the perspective of the person asking, not the person giving!
We have had to make new membership moderated to combat the huge number of spammers who register

You are here: Home > Forum > A Place of Safety > General Talk > Here's an American civics test for anyone to try.
Here's an American civics test for anyone to try.  [message #60588] Mon, 18 January 2010 07:14 Go to next message
yusime is currently offline  yusime

Likes it here

I answered 31 out of 33 correctly — 93.94 %

Average score for this quiz during January: 73.5%
Average score: 73.5%

Both of the questions I missed my instincts told me the right answers first. It's fairly simple.

http://www.americancivicliteracy.org/resources/quiz.aspx

He who joyfully marches in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake since for him a spinal cord would suffice. Albert Einstein
icon9.gif Re: Here's an American civics test for anyone to try.  [message #60589 is a reply to message #60588] Mon, 18 January 2010 09:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
acam is currently offline  acam

On fire!

I only got 75%, Pat. (maybe they gave my age instead of my result?)

Love,
Anthony
Re: Here's an American civics test for anyone to try.  [message #60590 is a reply to message #60589] Mon, 18 January 2010 16:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Macky is currently offline  Macky

Really getting into it

Well Anthony,

I think your 75% shows a high degree of knowledge on your part, concerning a political economic system that is not your own. I got 81.82%, having missed 6 out of 33. I scored much better on the economic questions than the political ones, due to my business degree. Without that, you'd have likely beat me.

Max

Behold, how good and how pleasant it is
For brothers to dwell together in unity!
Ps 133:1 NASB
Re: Here's an American civics test for anyone to try.  [message #60592 is a reply to message #60590] Mon, 18 January 2010 20:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kiwi is currently offline  kiwi

Likes it here

78.79% (missed 7 questions). But at least i beat Anthony!;-D

Feeling quite proud of myself here because i'm definitely not an american. Knew that we were far too influenced by th3e damm yankees ;-D

cheers

Commas matter - 'Party on Dudes' is not the same as 'Party on, Dudes'
Re: Here's an American civics test for anyone to try.  [message #60596 is a reply to message #60592] Mon, 18 January 2010 22:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
acam is currently offline  acam

On fire!

Well done, kiwi, I always knew you were quite a guy. But I never studied US history or civics or anything like that so my answers were just general knowledge. I'd guess yours were too.

Love,
Anthony
Just for fun here's a chart.  [message #60600 is a reply to message #60588] Tue, 19 January 2010 04:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Likes it here

Are You Smarter Than a Politician? It goes with the test.

http://www.americancivicliteracy.org/2008/additional_finding.html

It is an interesting question is the American public smarter than their elected officials. If the average person seeking political office is less intelligent than the average American, about basic civics education, that is really really bad and could help to explain our politics today at least in part.

If you are going to take the test do that first then look at the chart it's not exactly fair to do otherwise. Smile

[Updated on: Tue, 19 January 2010 04:47]

He who joyfully marches in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake since for him a spinal cord would suffice. Albert Einstein
Re: Here's an American civics test for anyone to try.  [message #60602 is a reply to message #60588] Tue, 19 January 2010 19:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
daffey44 is currently offline  daffey44

Getting started

I missed one: #27, which seems to me to be a question with subjective answers. Many of the questions were about history and not even the history of how the U.S. government operates.

As for how knowledgeable our politicians are, please note that I held elected offices in local government for 14 years. While it is very important that politicians understand the issues in the questionnaire, three things are especially important for those elected to boards, commissions, councils, and legislatures.

(1) You have no authority except during a meeting of a quorum of the body to which you were elected. Too many politicians either ignore this or are ignorant about it.

(2) The body to which you were elected has some very real limitations on what it can accomplish. In England, King Canute demonstrated that he could not command the tides.

(3) "Boardsmanship" is vital. This means that each official must work towards the body making collective decisions for the public's benefit; once such a decision is made, it is a decision of the entire body that each member must support. No one in the U.S. Congress (either house) seems to understand this.
Re: Here's an American civics test for anyone to try.  [message #60608 is a reply to message #60602] Wed, 20 January 2010 15:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
saben is currently offline  saben

On fire!

I disagreed with the given answer on the best action for government to take to encourage the economy.

I thought, and still think, that take and spending cuts are the best way to stimulate the economy. Government spending increases are never as efficient as tax cuts and spending by private citizens.

If government really wants to stimulate the economy instead of spending more they should just offer deeper and longer reaching tax cuts.

Look at this tree. I cannot make it blossom when it suits me nor make it bear fruit before its time [...] No matter what you do, that seed will grow to be a peach tree. You may wish for an apple or an orange, but you will get a peach.
Master Oogway
Re: Here's an American civics test for anyone to try.  [message #60611 is a reply to message #60608] Wed, 20 January 2010 18:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Likes it here

That is exactly what the Republicans say but it didn't work. Eventually governments that hold such a philosophy no longer have taxes to cut that's the problem in America today. Taxes are viewed as an evil that must be destroyed rather than a necessary part of citizen involvement in society. The Articles of Confederation, the first government of the United States had virtually no real power to tax, raise an army, was completely decentralized, and required every state to agree with each other in order change the government. That sounds very similar to the way the "conservatives" in America want to view the Constitution. It is nearly impossible to do anything because of how complicated the central government operates, which was exactly the intention. The Constitution of the US was always intended to force compromise, but they now hate government and want it dead.

The "pro-free market" group privileges business with governmental power in an obscure attempt to create a corporate system, headed by largely financial oligarchs, based on eternal service to corporate power. Tax cuts are at the root of the problem, the wealthy receive massive amounts of money they never had a right to, because in our time like the 1920's they are using the media, corporate profits, and government to game the power structure to their own vices and designs, and it completely obscures the way America deals with taxes. Instead of trying to ensure that the wealthy pay the same amount of taxes compared to the total amount of income they have as the poorest people in the country pay to the federal government and state combined it makes people think they have more money than they really do. Which in turn creates debt bubbles and problems with credit and does not provide a fair amount of access to governmental systems for the poor and rich alike which should violate the federal constitution of the US. It is one thing to cut tax rates for the wealthy from 90% of their income down to 50% of their income, but it is quite a different story to try to cut taxes from 30% to 20%. If taxes are insanely high it will benefit the economy however if taxes are unconscionably low it won't it will only force the government to borrow more and more money.

If people are either not finding work or can't rely on many big corporate private industries to reduce their profit margins in order to create jobs the only institution left is government. Being opposed to government just because it is government is not healthy for most societies in general and the American people have basically reduced their government down to a criminal class even when corporate institutions have a lot of blame in all of the problems in the United States today. Government let business have its power back and the US will never be able to pay the price for the failure of conservative ideology.

Re: Here's an American civics test for anyone to try.  [message #60884 is a reply to message #60611] Sat, 06 February 2010 03:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
TracyMN is currently offline  TracyMN

Getting started

Thank you, Pat. You confirm and clarify some things that I see, but cannot explain, sense but could not defend, and in a couple instances present reasonable, concrete evidence that personal principles can result in a view that has broad social application as well.

All the scores posted beat mine, and that's all I'm going to say on that.:'-(

Smartypantses.

Tracy
Re: Here's an American civics test for anyone to try.  [message #60886 is a reply to message #60884] Sat, 06 February 2010 08:09 Go to previous message
ray2x is currently offline  ray2x

Really getting into it

I got the same score as Macky. In college, that's where I seemed to settle into at about the 80% range. Just couldn't concentrate, I guess.

Raymundo
Previous Topic: Rebuttal to CBS's Decision to Air Anti-Choice Superbowl Ad
Next Topic: Lowlife Sons o' Bitches
Goto Forum: