A Place of Safety
I expect simple behaviours here. Friendship, and love.
Any advice should be from the perspective of the person asking, not the person giving!
We have had to make new membership moderated to combat the huge number of spammers who register

You are here: Home > Forum > A Place of Safety > General Talk > Pub Takes Issue With Transwoman's Choice Of Using The Loo
icon4.gif Pub Takes Issue With Transwoman's Choice Of Using The Loo  [message #60794] Mon, 01 February 2010 16:02 Go to next message
Brody Levesque is currently offline  Brody Levesque

Really getting into it

By Brody Levesque (Washington DC) Feb 1 | Apparently the UK is experiencing a rise in Transphobic behaviour as evidenced by this article by Sophie Doughty, SundaySun newspaper UK;

Katrina Harte, who is awaiting surgery that will transform her from a man to a woman, has been a regular customer at the Briar Dene, in Whitley Bay, North Tyneside, since she was 18-years-old.
But over the last 20 years, the former engineer had been hiding the emotional torment of feeling she had been born the wrong gender.
In recent years Katrina, 46, from North Shields, took the brave decision to undergo a sex change op, and is now awaiting the life-changing surgery.
And three years ago she finally plucked up the courage to come out completely and dress as a woman in public.
At first Katrina’s confidence was bolstered by drinkers and bar staff at the Briar Dene, who immediately accepted her lifestyle choice and continued to welcome her at the pub.
But four weeks ago she was stunned when a member of staff approached her and told her she was no longer allowed to go in the bar’s ladies toilets, and would now have to use the disabled facilities, because she is neither a man nor a woman.

Now, given recent trends in the United States over LGBT issues as well as in the United Kingdom, the actions by the pub staff are not all that shocking. Unfortunately while the majority may say that they don't take issue with Transgendered folk, the truth is that most are inclined to express what I have labeled the 'ick' factor when discussing this subject outside the hearing of the people in question.
Ms. Harte told the Sun's correspondent;

“I was just having a drink and a conversation and then I was approached by a member of staff and they told me I had to stop using the ladies’ toilets and use the disabled toilets instead.
They told me it was against the law, but I have never heard of any such law."

That's an interesting thought. Hmm, "Use the disabled toilets????" Gee, I wonder why that hapless staff person automatically assumed that gender reassignment & transitioning was grounds to be labeled handicapped? Ms. Harte continued;

“We have got to be so careful where we go. We wouldn’t dare go in most pubs on a match day. But I had never had a problem at the Briar Dene.
I really want to keep drinking there. It’s a friendly pub and over the years I have put a lot of money in their tills. I thought I had found somewhere I feel comfortable.”

Now, I have to say this in defence of the greater populace of Britain, or at least the pub going lot of them. The last time I was there, it could be said that the majority keep to themselves or their mates, and oft times will only raise an eyebrow or two at what might be considered 'odd' or yes, as I mentioned before, 'icky.' About the only time it seemed that you'd get a rousing reaction out of them was over a contested football match. That's soccer by the way to you Americans reading this. Another thing I should note is that the British are very fond of their routines as they go about daily life and take disruptions with a very annoyed attitude. Not that I am suggesting that they are any different than the rest of humanity, its just that they display a very uniquely English way of showing their displeasure. What happened though next was a modernised almost American expression of annoyance;
Katrina has not been back to the Briar Dene since the humiliating incident.

“I haven’t been out for four weeks now,” she continued. “It’s really, really got me down.”

But other regulars have been so outraged by her treatment that a Facebook group entitled Support Katrina Harte has been set up. More than 180 people have already joined up, leaving messages of support for Katrina.

“I have been overwhelmed by the support,” she said. I’m obviously not the only one affected by this. Coming out as a woman was the biggest decision of my life but I have never, ever regretted it. I had to make the move because it was starting to tear me up inside. But what they are doing to me is discrimination.”

When the Sunday Sun contacted the Briar Dene and its parent company Sir John Fitzgerald Ltd, nobody was willing to comment.
I am grateful to see that normal everyday folk are willing to band together in support of another member of their community and tackle this phobic display by the firm. This world could use alot more of that kind of affirmation, so, to the regulars at the Briar Dene pub I say 'Good on you eh?"

Katrina Harte Photo by SundaySun.UK
Re: Pub Takes Issue With Transwoman's Choice Of Using The Loo  [message #60796 is a reply to message #60794] Mon, 01 February 2010 18:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
saben is currently offline  saben

On fire!

I can understand the discomfort some women (especially) might feel with a transwoman in their loos. If men dressed as women are given carte blanche to use the ladies whenever it takes their fancy, well, I can see complications arising.

I honestly think Katrina, as a regular patron, should have been entitled to use the ladies. But I'm not sure beyond that. If a pub doesn't want a willy in their female toilets, I can't argue TOO strongly against it.

It is a bit insulting to be told to use the disabled toilet, but at the same time it's a "safe" loo to use in that it's used by bother genders and isn't a communal facility. It keeps Katrina safe from men that might be abusive and stops the risk of people abusing trans-friendliness.

Look at this tree. I cannot make it blossom when it suits me nor make it bear fruit before its time [...] No matter what you do, that seed will grow to be a peach tree. You may wish for an apple or an orange, but you will get a peach.
Master Oogway
Re: Pub Takes Issue With Transwoman's Choice Of Using The Lo  [message #60797 is a reply to message #60794] Mon, 01 February 2010 20:47 Go to previous message
timmy

Has no life at all

Ah, Whitley Bay. Megaman and I were there last June. The best thing you can say about it is that the gene pool there is very shallow.

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Previous Topic: It's Time To Imprison All Gays
Next Topic: These Are for Nigel & Tim
Goto Forum: