A Place of Safety
I expect simple behaviours here. Friendship, and love.
Any advice should be from the perspective of the person asking, not the person giving!
We have had to make new membership moderated to combat the huge number of spammers who register

You are here: Home > Forum > A Place of Safety > General Talk > I sometimes lump racism and homophobia in the same boat...
I sometimes lump racism and homophobia in the same boat...  [message #61169] Tue, 02 March 2010 08:40 Go to next message
saben is currently offline  saben

On fire!

http://documentaryheaven.com/how-racist-are-you/ (it's long- it's a whole TV episode)

For those that have seen Jane Elliot before it may be nothing new. But it is still a good reminder.

Being gay we can understand prejudice. But imagine if we had "gay" branded on our foreheads so that was the first image people had of us.

For those that have married women. Imagine never having the choice to hide your sexuality or play it safe.

I sometimes forget how horrible racism is. And how inescapable for those of other races.

We need to remember.

[Updated on: Tue, 02 March 2010 08:41]

Look at this tree. I cannot make it blossom when it suits me nor make it bear fruit before its time [...] No matter what you do, that seed will grow to be a peach tree. You may wish for an apple or an orange, but you will get a peach.
Master Oogway
Re: I sometimes lump racism and homophobia in the same boat...  [message #61170 is a reply to message #61169] Tue, 02 March 2010 09:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
acam is currently offline  acam

On fire!

Saben, in the short story called 'Am I Blue' by Bruce Coville in the book of the same name he imagines what would happen if all gay people turned blue for a day. The shade of blue depending on their position on the scale. It's a lovely idea.

Love,
Anthony

[Updated on: Tue, 02 March 2010 09:59]

Re: I sometimes lump racism and homophobia in the same boat...  [message #61171 is a reply to message #61170] Tue, 02 March 2010 10:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
saben is currently offline  saben

On fire!

I remembered someone from here mentioning that story once but I forgot the details.

I guess it was you and the colour was blue!

I don't know if the idea is lovely at all. I guess if all the homophobes were a shade of blue that showed some bisexuality it might work.

Look at this tree. I cannot make it blossom when it suits me nor make it bear fruit before its time [...] No matter what you do, that seed will grow to be a peach tree. You may wish for an apple or an orange, but you will get a peach.
Master Oogway
Re: I sometimes lump racism and homophobia in the same boat...  [message #61173 is a reply to message #61171] Tue, 02 March 2010 11:59 Go to previous message
acam is currently offline  acam

On fire!

And speaking of ways to stop bullying, what do you think about this, Saben?

http://www.lookforloneliness.co.uk/index.html

James was ostracised for being a dancer and suggested how that could be avoided for othr people.

Love,
Anthony
Previous Topic: Hair
Next Topic: Timmy...what have you done?
Goto Forum: