A Place of Safety
I expect simple behaviours here. Friendship, and love.
Any advice should be from the perspective of the person asking, not the person giving!
We have had to make new membership moderated to combat the huge number of spammers who register

You are here: Home > Forum > A Place of Safety > General Talk > PRETTY BOYS:Afghan Wedding Singers Are the Sweetest Plum
PRETTY BOYS:Afghan Wedding Singers Are the Sweetest Plum  [message #61177] Wed, 03 March 2010 05:18 Go to next message
M is currently offline  M

Likes it here

The phrase "women for procreation, boys for recreation" may sound disgusting to some, but in some Muslim cultures, boys are prized higher than gold. In places like Afghanistan, wedding singers are in huge demand. They are usually pre-pubescent boys who with their voices and dance skills entertain guest at a wedding party. However, anybody with money can easily buy off 'extra' services if they choose to do so. According to Wahid, cameraman who makes his living filming wedding parties , this is their profession and they are used by men.

It seems odd a culture that despises homosexuality would engaged in such acts with young boys. I assume it is one of those things you know happens, but you don't talk about.

Below is the article. Anybody has more information on the topic? I would like to know how often does this occur?

http://www.viceland.com/int/v12n10/htdocs/pretty.php

You don't love someone because they are beautiful, they are beautiful because you love them.
Re: PRETTY BOYS:Afghan Wedding Singers Are the Sweetest Plum  [message #61178 is a reply to message #61177] Wed, 03 March 2010 07:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
saben is currently offline  saben

On fire!

I saw a documentary about this recently.

It's one of those things where the law is on the books but not enforced and those involved are usually powerful or rich or have powerful friends.

They were mostly interested in beardless, beautiful boys who worked as Batcha Bazi, dressed in female clothing performing female dances.

The boys are often bought off their parents at around 11 and then trained in how to dance and perform. But sometimes older boys are recruited. They can usually tell if a certain boy will be good at dancing or only for other things.

The richer and more powerful men (warlords, police chiefs and generals) usually have exclusive ownership or use of the more beautiful boys.

Just google "Afghan Dancing Boys" for more info about this tradition.

Just makes me think there isn't really a society on earth which never had pedarasty in some form. Sexual attraction and relationships between adult men and pubescent boys is part of history and it's only really in the last 200 years that it's become taboo in most of the world.

Of course I'm against abusive or exploitative relationships. Which many of these are. Hypocritical, too. But open pedarasty, voluntary pedarasty existed in many cultures. But no more.

Blame the Christians.

[Updated on: Wed, 03 March 2010 07:39]

Look at this tree. I cannot make it blossom when it suits me nor make it bear fruit before its time [...] No matter what you do, that seed will grow to be a peach tree. You may wish for an apple or an orange, but you will get a peach.
Master Oogway
Saben writes: "Just makes me think there isn't really ...  [message #61182 is a reply to message #61177] Thu, 04 March 2010 07:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The Gay Deceiver is currently offline  The Gay Deceiver

Really getting into it

... a society on earth which never had pederasty in some form. Sexual attraction and relationships between adult men and pubescent boys is part of history and it's only really in the last 200 years that it's become taboo in most of the world"

During the late 1960's and well into the late 1970's I do stipulate to it's continuing (at least during the 10-years I speak of) to exist, and evolve, this not-with-standing Saben's sentiment that it had become "taboo" throughout most of the World within the past 200-years. Given the "market-place" I doubt very much whether it's currency has diminished one iota in the years intervening, although I can't speak from personal knowledge.

Mine own experience in this arena is not atypical, largely because my age at the time was not far removed from that of the individuals whose services I readily partook and enjoyed; additionally, it was not without it's own peril as I, "a blue-eye, flaxen-haired, fair-skinned, slim youth", was considered (like all others of similar appearance) a worthy, desirable and well sought prize throughout most of the Islamic and Semitic sub-cultures where I frequently vacationed and as a consequence was always at risk. I speak of twice-yearly vacations I took in the countries that numbered amongst them Turkey, Tunisia, Morocco, Algeria, Saudia Arabia, Lebanon, Dijubuti, the then Issa and Afars (again now Eritea and Somalia) and Jordan.

I remember fondly my time spent with Ahmed in Marrakesh, he age-18 and I age-23. I remember too, that the "tip" he received upon my departure after having spent 10-days or more as my constant companion, advisor, guide and, yes, bedded partner, represented more than three-times the total combined annual income of his entire family; a family, again not atypically, I actually got to meet and spend time with in their home; this latter circumstance being granted largely because I was a recognizable "face" and therefore enjoyed the cachet of an uncertain (and on my part unwanted) celebrity.

Whilst I won't (and can't) say that others like Ahmed were not abused, or misused, at the hands of their benefactors, Ahmed never was at mine. From the get go when first approached by him that auspicious morning at the airport, the terms of his retainer were clearly outlined to him by me, and these did not include his being required to provide sexual favours. He, on the other hand, indicated that if he chose to furnish such favours they would entirely be at his discretion, and outside of the purview of any "contract" he and I might enter into with regard to my time in Morocco.

I was not then, nor am I now, being naive here. I employed the services of a reputable travel agent in Toronto to provide my ticketing, transfer, insurance and hostelry services; one catering to a largely GAY-specific clientele, with vacation destinations chosen because of their amiable local "talent" and desirability. Ahmed, was a pre-arranged "contact", vetted and known to be suitable to those so-inclined. Throughout the intervening years there were any number of Ahmed's, whether they be called Anver, Achmed, Ali, Jesus, David, Mohamed, or whatever. All were to my mind "exotic" beauties, all in their late teens, and never over the age of twenty-one; this being as Ahmed explained to me, the age at which he was (and others like him were) expected to forsake his dilettante lifestyle, and settle down and marry and raise a family.

To declare that Ahmed was good at his chosen "avocation" would be an understatement; he was simply glorious, and I found myself returning to Marrakesh three times in the next ten years because of him; the last with my finding him at age 28 still unmarried, although no-longer a "paid" courtesan; with him taking me as a "client" that one "last time" simply because he as he put it "enjoyed my company".

My experiences in North Africa and the Middle East during the 1970's was not unlike those being experienced by friends, and acquaintances, who chose to vacation in South and Central American countries like Peru, Venezuela, Columbia, Panama, Ecuador and San Salvidor. I ventured into that arena only one time when I visited Cartagena, Columbia, in 1975 with two considerably older buddies, each of whom had been vacationing there for more than 10-years, and had become somewhat of a "local fixture" because of their exploits. My constant companion and minder, named Manuel, could very well have been Ahmed's brother for the lack of any dissimilarity in his demeanor, deportment and attitude to the services he provided. My two buddies were well treated by the local talent, whom in turn were well treated, and remunerated, by my two buddies. Again, I'm sure that their experience, and the treatment of their charges could well have been different in other hands, and likely were; but that does not dictate that all who avail themselves of these "localized" services were, and are, pedophiles; most, like me, were and probably are today, simply "lonely" dissafected and dissassociated men of a certain age who would rather enjoy a predetermined level of creature comfort rather than risk the uncertainty of that "chance" encounter.

Similar interludes were being played out on the Islands of Corfu, Majorica, Sardinia, Corsica, Capri, Crete and a litany of others that litter the Mediterranean. Too, the countries of Spain, France, Bulgaria, Romania and a host of others were the home of similar and nascent services and facilities. Too, they could well have been for all I know about it, hot-beds of abuse and misery, the likes of which we see daily displayed in the tabloid press currently centered upon the Afghanistan's, the Thailand's, the Burma's and the Indonesia's of our World in the new Millenium.

Warren C. E. Austin
The Gay Deceiver
Toronto, Canada

[Updated on: Thu, 04 March 2010 07:21]

"... comme recherché qu'un délice callipygian"
Re: Saben writes: "Just makes me think there isn't really ...  [message #61185 is a reply to message #61182] Thu, 04 March 2010 17:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
M is currently offline  M

Likes it here

Very insightful post. i enjoyed reading it. Thank you for the taking the time write about your experience with this subject matter.

You don't love someone because they are beautiful, they are beautiful because you love them.
icon4.gif Re: PRETTY BOYS:Afghan Wedding Singers...NOW ON PBS  [message #62009 is a reply to message #61177] Mon, 19 April 2010 15:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
chrisjames147 is currently offline  chrisjames147

Really getting into it

"The Dancing Boys of Afghanistan" will appear on the PBS Frontline program tonight and tomorrow night...I believe it will be on around eight o'clock.
(Sorry guys, I think that only applies to the US television stations)

The culture of wedding singer boys performing and then sleeping around (usually against their will) is as old as the mountains. The patrons of such activity are strong military and Taliban leaders, doctors, clerics and major political figures.

This film will outline the boys' plight from an insider's viewpoint, and it was done in a very clever way. The reporter and camera crew told their Afghanistan hosts that they were researching the ancient tradition because they wanted to compare it to similar traditions in Europe. Seems everyone there wants to attend a boy party.

So what I want to know...Timmy, and the folks in the EU...you been holding out on us?

[Updated on: Mon, 19 April 2010 19:05]

Age appears to be best in four things; old wood best to burn, old wine to drink, old friends to trust, and old authors to read. (Sir Francis Bacon 1561-1626)
Re: PRETTY BOYS:Afghan Wedding Singers...NOW ON PBS  [message #62012 is a reply to message #62009] Mon, 19 April 2010 19:04 Go to previous message
chrisjames147 is currently offline  chrisjames147

Really getting into it

For those of you who cannot watch it on the telly, here's a link to the PBS website where they have a preview trailer for the show posted: (I hope it works for you)
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/dancingboys/

Age appears to be best in four things; old wood best to burn, old wine to drink, old friends to trust, and old authors to read. (Sir Francis Bacon 1561-1626)
Previous Topic: Don't watch this unless you plan to cry...
Next Topic: This Father Murphy scandal gives homosexuality a bad name
Goto Forum: