A Place of Safety
I expect simple behaviours here. Friendship, and love.
Any advice should be from the perspective of the person asking, not the person giving!
We have had to make new membership moderated to combat the huge number of spammers who register

You are here: Home > Forum > A Place of Safety > General Talk > U.S. Supreme Court to re-visit "Freedom Of Speech"
U.S. Supreme Court to re-visit "Freedom Of Speech"  [message #61242] Tue, 09 March 2010 22:10 Go to next message
The Gay Deceiver is currently offline  The Gay Deceiver

Really getting into it

It seems that our good friends at The Westboro Baptist Church are going to get their day in court after all; the U.S. Supreme today consented to hear a case which will determine whether family and friends of fallen U.S. Servicemen may be entitled to "sue" The Westboro Baptist Church for their bigoted and hate-filled demonstrations held at their funerals.

Full story here:

http://www.aolnews.com/nation/article/new-question-for-top-court-are-military-funeral-protests-ok/19389387

If the courts rule in favour of the family and friends this will be sweet indeed.

Warren C. E. Austin
The Gay Deceiver
Toronto, Canada

"... comme recherché qu'un délice callipygian"
Re: U.S. Supreme Court to re-visit "Freedom Of Speech"  [message #61246 is a reply to message #61242] Wed, 10 March 2010 03:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
E.J. is currently offline  E.J.

Really getting into it

Unless there is some technicality that I am not aware of, I don't know how the court can't find in favor of the church. The constitution guaranties the right to free speech (with minor limitations) but does not say anything about the right to not having your feelings hurt.

The westboro cult is full of idiots and bigots, but they have a right to say what they say....people don't have to listen.

(\\__/) And if you don't believe The sun will rise
(='.'=) Stand alone and greet The coming night
(")_(") In the last remaining light. (C. Cornell)
Re: U.S. Supreme Court to re-visit "Freedom Of Speech"  [message #61257 is a reply to message #61246] Wed, 10 March 2010 21:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
saben is currently offline  saben

On fire!

^ This.

As much as I hate Fred Phelps' ilk, I think that any judgement against them is going to cause bigger issues down the line.

This has the potential to open up a bigger can of worms than Roe vs Wade.

Look at this tree. I cannot make it blossom when it suits me nor make it bear fruit before its time [...] No matter what you do, that seed will grow to be a peach tree. You may wish for an apple or an orange, but you will get a peach.
Master Oogway
Re: U.S. Supreme Court to re-visit "Freedom Of Speech"  [message #61330 is a reply to message #61257] Sat, 13 March 2010 07:42 Go to previous message
ray2x is currently offline  ray2x

Really getting into it

Maybe now is the time to go after this church. They've hidden behind their guise of freedom of religion too long. There's a modum of responsibility which Phelps needs to exercise too. Opening ones' mouth is half the freedom of speech. But the Supreme Court will probably not hand Phelps any setback. Imagine my surprise.

Raymundo
Previous Topic: What is there about a man besides his body?
Next Topic: CDC Analysis: Disproportionate Impact HIV and Syphilis
Goto Forum: