A Place of Safety
I expect simple behaviours here. Friendship, and love.
Any advice should be from the perspective of the person asking, not the person giving!
We have had to make new membership moderated to combat the huge number of spammers who register

You are here: Home > Forum > A Place of Safety > General Talk > Political homophibia in America
Political homophibia in America  [message #61957] Tue, 13 April 2010 21:50 Go to next message
chrisjames147 is currently offline  chrisjames147

Really getting into it

OK folks, I predict it will be the end of me if I read about another incredibly stupid Republican politician whose only claim to fame is how much shoe leather he can eat or shove up his a**.

I don't think former govenor Mike Huckabee can be considered a real danger to the cause of gay marriage, he's mostly a danger to himself. But when he declares gays to be in the same category with poligamists, drug users and those who indulge in incest I have to draw the line.

He's a former governor for a reason, and after all it was only Arkansas, one of the incest capitals of the world. I do hope he runs for president, it's always easier when the target for hate is right up front. His right wing Christian beliefs, he is a minister after all, seem to guide his thoughts. Yeah, just what we need to see in the White House, another bigoted Jesus freak.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2010/apr/13/huckabee-likens-gay-marriage-incest-polygamy/

Age appears to be best in four things; old wood best to burn, old wine to drink, old friends to trust, and old authors to read. (Sir Francis Bacon 1561-1626)
Re: Political homophibia in America  [message #61960 is a reply to message #61957] Wed, 14 April 2010 12:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
saben is currently offline  saben

On fire!

If he's from Arkansas and saying that homosexuality is like incest doesn't that mean he's saying it's okay? Sad)

Look at this tree. I cannot make it blossom when it suits me nor make it bear fruit before its time [...] No matter what you do, that seed will grow to be a peach tree. You may wish for an apple or an orange, but you will get a peach.
Master Oogway
icon13.gif Huckabee Claims College Journalist 'Grossly Distorts Views  [message #61962 is a reply to message #61957] Wed, 14 April 2010 15:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Brody Levesque is currently offline  Brody Levesque

Really getting into it

By Brody Levesque (Washington DC) Apr 14 | Popular Fox News Commentator, former Governor of Arkansas, and one-time Republican presidential hopeful Mike Huckabee, has charged that the College of New Jersey magazine, The Perspective, distorted Governor Huckabee's views when he was interviewed by its Editor-In-Chief Michael Tracey and the magazine's staff last week in a published article.
In that article, the Governor, a former Baptist preacher, was quoted as saying;

On the subject of DADT: “I wouldn’t support a repeal if I were commander-in-chief,” he said. “You don’t see foot soldiers out there demanding it. I’m not sure that’s the most important thing we ought to be doing for the military. [‘Don’t Ask Don’t Tell’] touches an extraordinarily small group of people,” Huckabee continued. He dismissed calls to amend the policy as “primarily a posturing point for political purposes,” and an attempt to “force something on the military that they themselves haven’t pushed that hard.”“I think we certainly should be very sensitive to the fact that the purpose of the military is not to see if we can create social experiments.”

Huckabee warned that he continues to oppose any government recognition of same-sex relationships;

"Even civil unions are “not necessary,” Huckabee said. “I think there’s been a real level of being disingenuous on the part of the gay and lesbian community with their goal of civil unions."

Huckabee went on to draw parallels between homosexuality and other lifestyles that are considered by some to be morally aberrant;

“You don’t go ahead and accommodate every behavioral pattern that is against the ideal,” he said of same-sex marriage. “That would be like saying, well, there are a lot of people who like to use drugs, so let’s go ahead and accommodate those who want to use drugs. There are some people who believe in incest, so we should accommodate them. There are people who believe in polygamy, so we should accommodate them.”

Huckabee in a released statement countering the article's published quotes said:

"The young college student hopefully will find a career other than journalism. I would ask that he release the unedited tape of our conversation. I believe that what people do as individuals in their private lives is their business, but I do not believe we should change the traditional definition of marriage. Not only did he attempt to sensationalize my well known and hardly unusual views of same-sex marriage, he also inaccurately reported my views on Michael Steele as GOP chairman - I offered my support and didn't "Rip into Steele" as his article asserted. I had a candid and frank conversation with the group about health care, education, the economy and national security while the young journalism student, instead, chose to focus on the issue of same-sex marriage and grossly distort my views"

On RNC Chair Michael Steele, Huckabee had said:

"The question is, how is [Steele] going to take control and how is he going to explain it? I think there does need to be a better explanation than what’s come forth so far,” he continued. “It’s been pretty weak.”
Huckabee said ongoing controversies involving Steele may become an electoral liability for Republicans as this year’s midterm elections approach. “It’s indefensible the way that some of the money has been spent,” Huckabee said, though he declined to call for Steele’s resignation. “Whether he should resign really is a question for the RNC, and I’m not a member, so I’m not going to get into that.”

The Perspective issued the following response yesterday along with an audio recording of the interview:

It is unfortunate that in the wake of his interview with The Perspective, Gov. Mike Huckabee has resorted to ad hominem attacks intended to cast doubt upon our credibility as a publication. This sort of desperate tactic is not surprising, however; politicians in damage-control mode often stoop to attacking the media so they might avoid being accountable for the substance of their remarks.
It is telling that nowhere in his statement did Huckabee suggest he was misquoted in the article, and rightfully so; we have the audio and transcripts to prove that everything reported is accurate.
Huckabee’s problem seems to lie more in the focus of the article, which is centered partially on LGBT issues. We feel that same-sex marriage, laws prohibiting gays and lesbians from adopting children, and ‘Don’t Ask Don’t Tell’ are legitimate policy concerns about which to question national political figures. Gov. Huckabee may disagree.
But regardless, his words speak for themselves, and it is a shame that he is now so quickly embarrassed of them.
Further, Huckabee’s claim that he defended RNC Chairman Michael Steele is simply not true.

Original Video- More videos at TinyPic
Re: Huckabee Claims College Journalist 'Grossly Distorts Vie  [message #61966 is a reply to message #61962] Wed, 14 April 2010 18:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

What exactly is a Huckabee, and why must one love them?

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Re: Huckabee Claims College Journalist 'Grossly Distorts Vie  [message #61967 is a reply to message #61966] Wed, 14 April 2010 21:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Really getting into it

One does not even consider loving a Huckabee, it is a contemptable beast on the American political scene.
But then if you love right wing Christian morons then he's your man...I know you better than that, Timmy. ;-D

Age appears to be best in four things; old wood best to burn, old wine to drink, old friends to trust, and old authors to read. (Sir Francis Bacon 1561-1626)
Re: Huckabee Claims College Journalist 'Grossly Distorts Vie  [message #61968 is a reply to message #61967] Wed, 14 April 2010 22:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

there was some sort of movie, though? "I heart Huckabees" or something?

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Re: Huckabee Claims College Journalist 'Grossly Distorts Vie  [message #61969 is a reply to message #61968] Wed, 14 April 2010 23:58 Go to previous message

Really getting into it

Yes, now I understand your reference. A 2004 film of that name, average plot, some good actors, didn't go anywhere at the boxoffice.

The Huckabee I reference wouldn't even qualify as a "B" movie.

Previous Topic: More about the Westboro Church ;-)
Next Topic: What a load of old cock!
Goto Forum: