A Place of Safety
I expect simple behaviours here. Friendship, and love.
Any advice should be from the perspective of the person asking, not the person giving!
We have had to make new membership moderated to combat the huge number of spammers who register

You are here: Home > Forum > A Place of Safety > General Talk > While I'm away the board is still being cared for
While I'm away the board is still being cared for  [message #62160] Sun, 25 April 2010 11:26 Go to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

The Mystery Moderator works all the time anyway, but, while I'm away they concentrate a little more.

Ash cloud willing I will be back in just over a fortnight. US citizens may need to look that term up.

Looking forward to the culture in Japan. We're based in Tokyo, and visiting Kanazawa and Nikko. My grandfather in law was a Professor of English in Japan in the 1890s.

We'll visit a Tea House (not the US concept of cottaging, please note) and many other places we have yet to find interesting.

I know enough Japanese to order a bottle of mineral water now.

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Re: While I'm away the board is still being cared for  [message #62163 is a reply to message #62160] Sun, 25 April 2010 11:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
chrisjames147 is currently offline  chrisjames147

Really getting into it

Dear Timmy...
Have a wonderful time and remember the key Japanese phrase is:
E cura des-uka (phonetic so you may say it) which means how much is that?

I spent a wonderful six years living in Tokyo as a child (1955-1961)all through my primary school years. Surrounded by millions of Japanese it was a taste of what it means to be a minority and I welcomed it. Even today I believe it is why I am so accepting of other cultures and ideals.

You might like to know that my two closest friends at the time, schoolmates, were the British Ambassador's son and the Australian Attache's son. The latter being the first boy I ever kissed at age ten Razz

So have a lovely time and remember that Japanese tea is not your average Earl Grey. It's bitter and takes some fortitude to drink. To this day I would rather eat rice than potatoes. As the saying went in the community of foreigners who lived there: When your children ask for rice at dinner then you've been there too long. LOL.

Here's hoping you have photos to share and words about the visit when you return. Bon Voyage.

Age appears to be best in four things; old wood best to burn, old wine to drink, old friends to trust, and old authors to read. (Sir Francis Bacon 1561-1626)
Re: While I'm away the board is still being cared for  [message #62164 is a reply to message #62163] Sun, 25 April 2010 11:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

hahahahah Earl Grey is an acquired taste too! And so many sorts of green tea! Oh lord!

If I ask questions they may ANSWER and in JAPANESE!

I don't eat potatoes much anyway. I was raised on rice and pasta.

Taxi arrives in 45 minutes, and then the trek begins.

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Re: While I'm away the board is still being cared for  [message #62168 is a reply to message #62164] Sun, 25 April 2010 12:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
saben is currently offline  saben

On fire!

Most Japanese speak English, even poorly, so the best thing to say is:
Eigo-de hanashite kudasai - Please speak in English

phonetically the vowels are similar to Italian if you have any experience with that.
"e" at the end of a word is the same as "e" in egg
"ei" is pronounced similarly to "ay" in day
"a" is like the "u" in umbrella
"ai" is like the "ie" in lie

Look at this tree. I cannot make it blossom when it suits me nor make it bear fruit before its time [...] No matter what you do, that seed will grow to be a peach tree. You may wish for an apple or an orange, but you will get a peach.
Master Oogway
Re: While I'm away the board is still being cared for  [message #62169 is a reply to message #62168] Sun, 25 April 2010 12:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
chrisjames147 is currently offline  chrisjames147

Really getting into it

Absolutely, I never met a Japanese who didn't want to try out their small smattering of English. It often made it incredibly difficult to walk down a street, it would be impolite to ignore a direct comment. And then there was the bowing...we don't have time to discuss that.

But in the land of millions they have an amazing sense of personal space and privacy. Most of the English speakers were high school students, attractive young boys...I don't see Timmy objecting to that ;-D

Age appears to be best in four things; old wood best to burn, old wine to drink, old friends to trust, and old authors to read. (Sir Francis Bacon 1561-1626)
Re: While I'm away the board is still being cared for  [message #62194 is a reply to message #62160] Mon, 26 April 2010 07:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nigel is currently offline  Nigel

On fire!

Have a good time, Timmy, and come back refreshed and rested.

Hugs
Nigel

I dream of boys with big bulges in their trousers,
Never of girls with big bulges in their blouses.

…and look forward to meeting you in Cóito.
Re: While I'm away the board is still being cared for  [message #62217 is a reply to message #62194] Tue, 27 April 2010 04:52 Go to previous message
ray2x is currently offline  ray2x

Really getting into it

If you meet Godzilla, tell him I a fan.

Raymundo
Previous Topic: A legacy of love
Next Topic: Yummy!
Goto Forum: