A Place of Safety
I expect simple behaviours here. Friendship, and love.
Any advice should be from the perspective of the person asking, not the person giving!
We have had to make new membership moderated to combat the huge number of spammers who register

You are here: Home > Forum > A Place of Safety > General Talk > The Westboro Baptist Church
The Westboro Baptist Church  [message #62284] Thu, 06 May 2010 17:48 Go to next message
M is currently offline  M

Likes it here

Here is their website... http://www.godhatesfags.com/index.html

They are at it again. This time attacking a local high school with their message of hate.

They do this all over the country. Not just this particular High School in my community. They were at my University last year. For a week they caused havoc on school grounds. None of the students liked them.

How they work is pathetic. They go to different places, enticing people to get into physical altercations with them so they can turn around and sue the person that violated their rights to protest. As a result, they able to continue receiving funding for later protests. I wonder who else funds them?

What would you do if they came to your community? They seem to thrive on watching people get upset. They want people to get upset! How would you fight them?

If you look at the website... they list all the places they will visit in the future. A month in advance.

You don't love someone because they are beautiful, they are beautiful because you love them.
Re: The Westboro Baptist Church  [message #62285 is a reply to message #62284] Thu, 06 May 2010 18:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
chrisjames147 is currently offline  chrisjames147

Really getting into it

Kinda makes you wish we didn't believe in such freedom of speech :-/

[Updated on: Thu, 06 May 2010 18:43]

Age appears to be best in four things; old wood best to burn, old wine to drink, old friends to trust, and old authors to read. (Sir Francis Bacon 1561-1626)
Re: The Westboro Baptist Church  [message #62286 is a reply to message #62285] Thu, 06 May 2010 19:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Likes it here

This is from their website....

"Grady High School 929 Charles Allen Dr. NE WBC to picket the 1338 worthless students to warn them to flee the wrath that is coming shortly on this nation. Your parents have broken your moral compass by telling you God loves everyone and it's okay to be gay -- two lies from the pit of hell. Obama agrees with your parents because he hates you. You have nothing -- no jobs, no money, no homes; the only thing you are good for is the killing fields of Iraq, Afghanistan, or where ever else Anti-Christ Obama starts another war and sends you to die. Doomed america has made God her #1 Enemy, and he now fights against you! Jer 21:5 And I myself will fight against you with an outstretched hand and with a strong arm, even in anger, and in fury, and in great wrath. That is not a God you want to mess with, boys and girls. Our hope is that you will listen to this warning! You likely will not listen to your own condemnation. No matter - you will know that the prophets of God have been in your land"

This is the message they are bring forward to our local high school from 3:10-5pm.
Very sad what they do.

You don't love someone because they are beautiful, they are beautiful because you love them.
Re: The Westboro Baptist Church  [message #62287 is a reply to message #62284] Thu, 06 May 2010 19:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CallMePaul is currently offline  CallMePaul

Really getting into it

>What would you do if they came to your community? They seem to thrive on watching people get upset. They want people to get upset! How would you fight them?

I belong to the United Church of Christ. This is a Christian denomination that accepts everyone. I once suggested, at a board meeting, that we invite the Westboro Church to come picket us. Our congregation is small and it would have been a tremendous publicity boost and method of attracting new members. Lol... the concept just scared some of our older members so we never implemented it. ;-D

Youth crisis hot-line 866-488-7386, 24 hr (U.S.A.)
There are people who want to help you cope with being you.
Re: The Westboro Baptist Church  [message #62288 is a reply to message #62284] Fri, 07 May 2010 00:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
saben is currently offline  saben

On fire!

I've dealt with enough internet trolls to know that the only thing you can do, is not feed them.

The same applies to these real-life trolls. Ignore them and they may not go away, but at least they won't get worse. These people are sold on their cause and are arrogant enough that nothing you can say will effect them. So counter protests will achieve nothing. Just pretend they aren't there.

I'm still glad I believe in free speech. If their toxin was limited to their thoughts we wouldn't know how evil and idiotic they are.

Look at this tree. I cannot make it blossom when it suits me nor make it bear fruit before its time [...] No matter what you do, that seed will grow to be a peach tree. You may wish for an apple or an orange, but you will get a peach.
Master Oogway
Re: The Westboro Baptist Church  [message #62289 is a reply to message #62288] Fri, 07 May 2010 05:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ray2x is currently offline  ray2x

Really getting into it

I also believe in free speech. Westboro is not pretty. But 1st Amendment, warts and all, is still worth my right to write and speak of the nastiness of Westboro.

Raymundo
Re: The Westboro Baptist Church  [message #62291 is a reply to message #62284] Fri, 07 May 2010 05:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JFR is currently offline  JFR

On fire!

Quite some time ago I posted here the account of a synagogue (in New York, I think) that was picketed by WBC. Instead of confrontation they held a sweepstake about how long the demonstration would last. They made $10,000 for the synagogue. One in the face for WBC.

J F R

The paradox has often been noted that the United States, founded in secularism, is now the most religiose country in Christendom, while England, with an established church headed by its constitutional monarch, is among the least. (Richard Dawkins, 2006)
Re: The Westboro Baptist Church  [message #62292 is a reply to message #62284] Fri, 07 May 2010 11:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
chrisjames147 is currently offline  chrisjames147

Really getting into it

In the 1980's President Ronald Reagan's administration began a change of social policy in America, and with a conservative approach to spending most of the mental institutions in this country were closed.

So now you understand why the not so Reverend Freddy Phelps is out on the street. His brand of insanity is manifest by the free association of absurd notions of God and the best way to provoke people to anger.

I really believe that Phelps is seeking martyrdom. I hope he lives a long and miserable life just to thwart his plans. The ultimate folly of his life will be death, for then he will soon be forgotten and cast out of the public consciousness.

But he is not the only lunatic out there on the streets and I am concerned that this man has brought his family into danger with his ranting and public exposure. I don't see his life ending well. I just hope when it happens he doesn't take anyone else with him into the void.

Age appears to be best in four things; old wood best to burn, old wine to drink, old friends to trust, and old authors to read. (Sir Francis Bacon 1561-1626)
Re: The Westboro Baptist Church  [message #62297 is a reply to message #62291] Sat, 08 May 2010 05:50 Go to previous message

Likes it here

I know of this guy that went to the protest. His goal was to collect money for an AIDS fundation he supports. He said ; I figured I would collect money for an organitation they would love to see destroyed. Brillian idea! Turning something negative into a positive without directly confronting them.

Previous Topic: The insanity of the American...but then again?????
Next Topic: Sexy Older Men....tell me yours
Goto Forum: