A Place of Safety
I expect simple behaviours here. Friendship, and love.
Any advice should be from the perspective of the person asking, not the person giving!
We have had to make new membership moderated to combat the huge number of spammers who register

You are here: Home > Forum > A Place of Safety > General Talk > Ideas Having Sex
Ideas Having Sex  [message #62475] Mon, 24 May 2010 02:58 Go to next message
Macky is currently offline  Macky

Really getting into it

I really enjoyed this article on collective intelligence in this weekend's Wall Street Journal.

It makes me think about how important we all are to each other.

My favorite sentence. "No one in the world could make this pencil on my desk."

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748703691804575254533386933138.html

Max

Behold, how good and how pleasant it is
For brothers to dwell together in unity!
Ps 133:1 NASB
Re: Ideas Having Sex  [message #62477 is a reply to message #62475] Mon, 24 May 2010 10:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
saben is currently offline  saben

On fire!

http://www.econlib.org/library/Essays/rdPncl1.html

Here is the original "I, Pencil" story. It is one reason why I am sceptical of government and why I moved from believing in the radical political left to the radical right.

Individuals are beautiful and wonderful and we need to let them prosper. The emergent behaviour, on aggregate, is probably the most suitable behaviour.

Look at this tree. I cannot make it blossom when it suits me nor make it bear fruit before its time [...] No matter what you do, that seed will grow to be a peach tree. You may wish for an apple or an orange, but you will get a peach.
Master Oogway
Re: Ideas Having Sex  [message #62478 is a reply to message #62475] Mon, 24 May 2010 18:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

I wonder how it was made?

Have I missed something?

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Re: Ideas Having Sex  [message #62483 is a reply to message #62478] Mon, 24 May 2010 21:50 Go to previous message
saben is currently offline  saben

On fire!

Read my story if you haven't, timmy.

It speaks of how individually no-one has the expertise to produce a pencil. But individuals, each pursuing their own ends, each with their own areas of expertise, is capable of producing something so seemingly simple yet complex. The journey of a pencil takes a person from graphite mines, to tree plantations, to rubber production, etc.

The modern pencil is a wonder that could only have been made through co-operation and iteration. No central planner could make a pencil like we have today.

Look at this tree. I cannot make it blossom when it suits me nor make it bear fruit before its time [...] No matter what you do, that seed will grow to be a peach tree. You may wish for an apple or an orange, but you will get a peach.
Master Oogway
Previous Topic: Hate crime and bullying...again.
Next Topic: A prosecution that should never have been brought
Goto Forum: