A Place of Safety
I expect simple behaviours here. Friendship, and love.
Any advice should be from the perspective of the person asking, not the person giving!
We have had to make new membership moderated to combat the huge number of spammers who register

You are here: Home > Forum > A Place of Safety > General Talk > We don't need another reason to hate these people...
icon8.gif We don't need another reason to hate these people...  [message #62642] Thu, 10 June 2010 17:25 Go to next message
chrisjames147 is currently offline  chrisjames147

Really getting into it

The Taliban have absolutely no redeeming values whatsoever and this only proves it. I have been searching for a word to describe the bastards and the only thing I can come up with is religious insanity.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/37615068/ns/world_news-south_and_central_asia

Their war isn't about fighting an American led coalition, they are power hungry nazis and criminals. The death of this youngster does nothing but feed that insatiable addiction to power.

The true horror in reading this story is that they performed this atrocity in public, everyone knows who they are. Fear is the only strength that the Taliban has to control the population.

If the Afghan government thinks they can deal with these lunatics and make deals they are sadly mistaken. The only solution for these rabid dogs is a bullet in the head.

Age appears to be best in four things; old wood best to burn, old wine to drink, old friends to trust, and old authors to read. (Sir Francis Bacon 1561-1626)
Can 'hate' be an effective strategy?  [message #62643 is a reply to message #62642] Thu, 10 June 2010 19:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
acam is currently offline  acam

On fire!

Well, ChrisJames, that sounds remarkably similar to their solution to their problem.

I don't know how to deal with my fundamentalist friend who tells me I'm going to hell because I'm homosexual but I'm sure that telling him he will go to hell for saying that won't work. I'm unable to think of an approach which is likely to change the Taliban point of view.

I agree it is religious insanity. All religions are insane. The problem is how to get them to see that.

One problem is that some quite nice people (including some on here) have sincerely held religious beliefs and there is no way of changing the words in the Bible or Torah or Talmud or ... ...

How can you persuade an insane believer that his belief is mad?
Love,
Anthony
Re: Can 'hate' be an effective strategy?  [message #62646 is a reply to message #62643] Thu, 10 June 2010 22:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
chrisjames147 is currently offline  chrisjames147

Really getting into it

I guess this is all just so senseless, Anthony...frustrating.

Religion is just an excuse for these people, the Koran doesn't allow such thinking. I have real issues with Islam and that book. It seems the Koran can be whatever they want it to be, all you need is an Imam and a few guns. This is nothing new, the Christians went there first.

Religion has no value in my life, I only see it as a business. The God business is quite lucrative, there are willing fanatics everywhere. The unique insanity of Islam is that no one is in charge, no one person. It's like running a corporation with a thousand vice-presidents and no head man.

The prophets behind all religions get used by those who crave power. Islam is the only modern example of how fanatical religious figures can overtake a country. The Christians had their day, and then everyone got wise to their game. Now we have Iran who is behind everything bad in Afghanistan.

The only really good way for Islam to survive would be for a whole segment of that population to repudiate the actions of the Taliban. They need to be isolated by their own kind and shut out of the world stage. I would hope Islam is headed for a split which would leave the fanatics on the outside, otherwise they are all doomed.

As for Iran, give it time, they will likely end up being the only radioactive Islamic republic in the world...and deserve it.

Age appears to be best in four things; old wood best to burn, old wine to drink, old friends to trust, and old authors to read. (Sir Francis Bacon 1561-1626)
icon13.gif Shoot them all  [message #62651 is a reply to message #62642] Fri, 11 June 2010 10:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CabinBoy is currently offline  CabinBoy

Toe is in the water

Remove all the kids under 21 and get them into schools where they can read more things than the Koran. Take all the mothers too. Shoot everyone else, salt the land, and forget the place. It has always been a shit hole and will always be a shit hole. The British found this out over a hundred years ago.
Re: Shoot them all  [message #62652 is a reply to message #62651] Fri, 11 June 2010 13:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
saben is currently offline  saben

On fire!

You're talking about America, right?

Oh you said Koran, not Bible. My bad.

[Updated on: Fri, 11 June 2010 13:11]

Look at this tree. I cannot make it blossom when it suits me nor make it bear fruit before its time [...] No matter what you do, that seed will grow to be a peach tree. You may wish for an apple or an orange, but you will get a peach.
Master Oogway
Re: Shoot them all  [message #62653 is a reply to message #62651] Fri, 11 June 2010 22:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NW is currently offline  NW

On fire!

CabinBoy wrote:
(snip) It has always been a shit hole and will always be a shit hole. The British found this out over a hundred years ago.

Actually, what the British found was a charming and fairly honourable - if rather ruthless - bunch of foes. When I was in Afghanistan - the summer of 1977 - I was impressed by the hospitality to strangers, the courtesy of most of those we met, and the stunning beauty of the landscape (and of one young lad who volunteered to share a shower / apres-shower with me, but that's another story ...).

The present fucked-up situation is partly the fault of the Russians, for the invasion they carried out with such a spectacular lack of long-term success. Largely the fault of the USA for lavishly funding groups of crazies, which developed into the Taliban, on the dodgy grounds that any enemy of Russia was a good thing for the USA. Very much the fault of the UK for going along with the current occupying group of crazies.

I do not condone any of the actions of the Taliban - I am utterly opposed to the philosophy of absolutist control and opposition to diversity that they represent. But I *do* understand the part that both our countries have played in their creation, and continue my calls for an immediate withdrawal of all foreign troops from Afghanistan: we have already screwed things up to the point where if the Afghans are left alone it will take at least a generation for them to sort themselves out. There is no possible thing that the presence of foreigners can do except continue to make matters yet worse. The sense of defiant territorial integrity possessed by Afghans individually and collectively would put the most aggressive wolf-pack or tiger to shame.

"The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral, begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy. ... Returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night devoid of stars." Martin Luther King
icon4.gif Re: Shoot them all  [message #62654 is a reply to message #62653] Fri, 11 June 2010 23:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Brody Levesque is currently offline  Brody Levesque

Really getting into it

I'm going to second NW's appraisal of the situation. I spent January through March of 2007 embedded with British & Canadian troops as well as spending a couple of weeks with an American Strike Force Team with the U. S. Army's 1st Division, 10th Mountain Brigade. The troops themselves are highly aware of the overall situation and accompanying issues.

This is not a sustainable situation for the armed forces of foreign powers as historically, virtually every-time there's been military 'assistance' it ended up being little more than an occupying army which the locals resent more than the Taliban.

The other part of this is the mere fact that the type of zealotry that the Taliban and other insurgents subscribe to makes it militarily impossible to defeat which is exactly the conclusion that the politicos are arriving at... after what? Nearly 9 solid years?

U. S. Afghan War Dead Return to Dover AFB & Are Saluted By President Barack Obama [Photo Courtesy Of The U. S. Air Force]
Re: Shoot them all  [message #62655 is a reply to message #62654] Sat, 12 June 2010 06:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ray2x is currently offline  ray2x

Really getting into it

Brody's snippet of "...zealotry...which makes it militarily impossible to defeat..." makes me cringe. It spells a recipe for our American Tea Party to use. Zealotry in any form is a danger.

Raymundo
Bring the troops home  [message #62657 is a reply to message #62653] Sat, 12 June 2010 07:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
acam is currently offline  acam

On fire!

Yes, NW, of course!
Love,
Anthony
Re: Shoot them all  [message #62658 is a reply to message #62655] Sat, 12 June 2010 08:50 Go to previous message
saben is currently offline  saben

On fire!

When is it conviction and when is it zealotry?

Look at this tree. I cannot make it blossom when it suits me nor make it bear fruit before its time [...] No matter what you do, that seed will grow to be a peach tree. You may wish for an apple or an orange, but you will get a peach.
Master Oogway
Previous Topic: Bring joy to your heart...
Next Topic: Brody's Notes... 16 Year-Old Sailor Feared Lost At Sea
Goto Forum: