A Place of Safety
I expect simple behaviours here. Friendship, and love.
Any advice should be from the perspective of the person asking, not the person giving!
We have had to make new membership moderated to combat the huge number of spammers who register

You are here: Home > Forum > A Place of Safety > General Talk > Unrecognized Child Abuse in America
icon8.gif Unrecognized Child Abuse in America  [message #62748] Wed, 23 June 2010 22:56 Go to next message
chrisjames147 is currently offline  chrisjames147

Really getting into it

Okay, right up front, Brody's Blog led me to this link, thank you good sir!!!

I read these things and wonder if this is news about some alien planet. The largest house in California just sold for 72 million dollars, we waste that much every day in the Middle East, and in New York homeless LGBT children are ignored.

http://www.americanprogress.org/issues/2010/06/on_the_streets.html

If a parent takes a child and physically abuses them the police are all over it. If a parent throws a child out on the street for being gay it is ignored. We are talking about 13 and 14 year old kids forced out on the street.

From personal experience I had a young student of mine tell me of a boy who was thrown out on the street by his father because he was gay. This was in North Carolina, a state not known for it's sensitive handling of gay people. I had the student arrange to have the boy meet me at a McDonalds near his father's house, and after we met I called the police.

I told the police what had happened, the kid was 13 and all they said was that they would send child services to pick him up. I said don't bother, I was going to go beat the crap out of the father and that they could meet me there.

The police beat me to the house, I had a stop to make first. When I arrived there were two police cars waiting and the father was locked in the house. A policeman asked me if I had issued a threat against the father, I said I had. He said he would have to arrest me, and I said fine. But I told the man he might want to ask the passenger in my car what she plans to do about the boy.

My passenger was Judge Sharon ******* of the Juvenile Court, someone I had worked with in other cases. Worked with so much in fact that I had her home telephone number, it pays to have friends like her. The boy was placed in foster care, the father was issued a summons to appear and failed, he was arrested, lost his job and had the opportunity to read about himself in the newspapers.

It rarely happens like that...very rarely. I would encourage any underage child who is thrown out on the street to claim sexual abuse by the offending parent. I don't care if it's true, the laws are inadequate. Something has to get their attention. >Sad

Age appears to be best in four things; old wood best to burn, old wine to drink, old friends to trust, and old authors to read. (Sir Francis Bacon 1561-1626)
While on one hand, I would certainly have to agree ...  [message #62749 is a reply to message #62748] Thu, 24 June 2010 03:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The Gay Deceiver is currently offline  The Gay Deceiver

Really getting into it

... that In North American, in general, the Law to protect children from abuse regardless of it's origin are inadequate; on the other, I can't possibly agree with your blanket statement:

>I would encourage any underage child who is thrown out on the street to claim sexual abuse by the offending parent. I don't care if it's true, the laws are inadequate. Something has to get their attention.<

The stigma that is carried by the innocent in accusations of that sort, however justified they may appear to be in situations such as you have described, is never justifiable.

If you recall, it was in this very Forum not long ago we collectively railed against youngsters (and adults in some circumstances) in the U.S.A. being labeled FOR LIFE as sexual predators simply because they were being kids exploring their sexuality, experimenting in ways that could not, and were not, covered by existing Statutes and therefore considered to be illegal two fold; one because of their age; and secondly because an adult may have been involved and not necessarily as the initiator; but the Law is the Law. If it is being unfairly applied we should work to have it either repealed or amended as circumstances warrant.

Thus is, and should be the case in situations such as you have described; events we all know are transpiring daily, and not just in the larger urban centres either. More should be being done to assist these youngsters; and youngsters of all stripes, whether they be run-a-ways because of abuse or other circumstance; discards such as you have spoken about; drug abusers, alcoholics, sex-workers; whatever, if they are youngsters they are vulnerable, and collectively society has both a moral and fiduciary responsibility to see, and do right by them; all too often we do not; often because they fall between cracks in the Law in whatever jurisdiction they have surfaced; which doesn't make it right; but, neither is your solution to the problem.

Warren C. E. Austin
The Gay Deceiver
Toronto, Canada

"... comme recherché qu'un délice callipygian"
Re: Unrecognized Child Abuse in America  [message #62751 is a reply to message #62748] Thu, 24 June 2010 06:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

WOW!

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Re: Unrecognized Child Abuse in America  [message #62756 is a reply to message #62748] Thu, 24 June 2010 18:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
saben is currently offline  saben

On fire!

I agree with your passion, but not your conclusion.

Look at this tree. I cannot make it blossom when it suits me nor make it bear fruit before its time [...] No matter what you do, that seed will grow to be a peach tree. You may wish for an apple or an orange, but you will get a peach.
Master Oogway
Re: Unrecognized Child Abuse in America  [message #62759 is a reply to message #62756] Thu, 24 June 2010 22:19 Go to previous message
chrisjames147 is currently offline  chrisjames147

Really getting into it

Sorry guys...this is America. To get your way here you have to lie, the politicos do it every day and get paid for it.

A child abuse charge gets attention, attracts lawyers and police, something gets done. The more absurd the charge the better, I still think for a defenseless child it's a good option.

As they say: Shoot them all and let someone else sort them out!

Since child abuse is the popular crime of the moment it gets attention. Take it all in front of a judge, gain headlines in the news, and then say oops I lied, I'm just a gay kid tired of being abused. Nothing legal will happen to the boy. He will garner a lot of sympathy and get the attention he needs. Beats sleeping under a bridge and getting raped by some pervert.

Adults who have gay kids and toss them on the street need a public flogging, I might even be persuaded to allow castration. Until reasonable laws are passed my suggestion stands as a reasonable alternative to homeless kids on the street. F**K, 1.3 million kids, guys...that is totally unreasonable.

Suggest something better and I will listen, don't just say that's an unreasonable conclusion, don't wimp out on me!

Age appears to be best in four things; old wood best to burn, old wine to drink, old friends to trust, and old authors to read. (Sir Francis Bacon 1561-1626)
Previous Topic: Nude Rugby in New Zealand
Next Topic: Roads travelled
Goto Forum: