A Place of Safety
I expect simple behaviours here. Friendship, and love.
Any advice should be from the perspective of the person asking, not the person giving!
We have had to make new membership moderated to combat the huge number of spammers who register

You are here: Home > Forum > A Place of Safety > General Talk > I wish there were a magic bullet
I wish there were a magic bullet  [message #62965] Tue, 13 July 2010 11:25 Go to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

Unfortunately it comes back down to "The worst case is that you end up with a friend."

Is it ever going to get easier?

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Good friends  [message #62975 is a reply to message #62965] Tue, 13 July 2010 19:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
acam is currently offline  acam

On fire!

I fear, Timmy, that it won't ever get any easier for you - or me! But there is very little doubt in my mind that it IS getting easier for teenagers and twenties.

And nowadays people who 'couldn't' pretend to be straight or who are too ebullient to hide their sexuality (who do you imagine I'm thinking of?) would have it much easier than even ten years ago.
Love,
Anthony
Re: Good friends  [message #62976 is a reply to message #62975] Tue, 13 July 2010 21:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JimB is currently offline  JimB

Likes it here

acam wrote:
> But there is very little doubt in my mind that it IS getting easier for teenagers and twenties.

I agree with you, Anthony. The foundation of the gay movement has grown greatly in the last 20 years and this foundation is the basis from which the teenagers and twenties you mentioned get to work. Though we are still a long way from the day when a gay boy can approach another boy without concern about offending him if he's straight, it might happen in the next 20 years.

Boy 1: “Hi. I was wondering if you'd like to go our for a Coke or something.”
Boy 2: “Gee, I'm really not gay but maybe we can hang out sometime.”

Twenty years ago a dialog like was all but impossible; but today it might be an achievable goal.

JimB
Re: I wish there were a magic bullet  [message #62983 is a reply to message #62965] Wed, 14 July 2010 04:43 Go to previous message
saben is currently offline  saben

On fire!

Well there's two parts to asking a guy out. One is if he's straight and one is if he's attracted to you!

Rejection can suck for ALL teenagers and there are straight kids that have faced terrible, horrible rejection, too.

But it's true that the numbers aren't on our side and never will be. Our chance of finding someone at random are a factor of what percent of other guys are actually gay.

It is easier in a lot of ways now- especially in bigger cities. Other kids are out more often at school and might know other gay people that are still closeted. It is possible to build networks at school of other gay people. And there's GLBT dances for teens and gay websites with which you can meet people (though the later has its risks).

It is easier now if your objective is trying to meet other gay people and potentially find a date. And it's easier in that the guy you like is less likely to bash your head in for just asking. But if you have your heart set on someone and they are straight then it'll never be easy. Rejection and heartbreak are a part of growing up, though.

Look at this tree. I cannot make it blossom when it suits me nor make it bear fruit before its time [...] No matter what you do, that seed will grow to be a peach tree. You may wish for an apple or an orange, but you will get a peach.
Master Oogway
Previous Topic: Everyone who comes here, everyone..
Next Topic: Gay players caused Germany to lose the FIFA World Cup
Goto Forum: