A Place of Safety
I expect simple behaviours here. Friendship, and love.
Any advice should be from the perspective of the person asking, not the person giving!
We have had to make new membership moderated to combat the huge number of spammers who register

You are here: Home > Forum > A Place of Safety > General Talk > Gay couples and foster care?
Gay couples and foster care?  [message #63077] Sun, 25 July 2010 19:41 Go to next message
saben is currently offline  saben

On fire!

Is it legal for gay couples to be foster parents in other countries?

I only just really found out today that gay couples are actually being actively targeted for fostering in Australia, even though adoption is still not permitted (one member of the couple can adopt- but not both).

Also in Australia we have something called permanent care which is like adoption, but where the child still keeps legal ties to their birth parent(s).

There are a lot more options for types of parenthood for gay couples than I first realised. A lot are unconventional, but being gay is unconventional itself!

Look at this tree. I cannot make it blossom when it suits me nor make it bear fruit before its time [...] No matter what you do, that seed will grow to be a peach tree. You may wish for an apple or an orange, but you will get a peach.
Master Oogway
Re: Gay couples and foster care?  [message #63078 is a reply to message #63077] Sun, 25 July 2010 20:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

Lawful in the UK, encouraged in some areas.

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Gay couples and foster care in the USA  [message #63080 is a reply to message #63078] Sun, 25 July 2010 21:27 Go to previous message
chrisjames147 is currently offline  chrisjames147

Really getting into it

In the USA there are currently three states that ban foster care by gays and lesbians. Nebraska, Arkansas and Utah. It's interesting to note that these states ban foster parenting by people that are co-habitating so that covers hetrosexual parenting as well.

But it's not over. Several other states have laws pending to forbid the practice of allowing gay and lesbians to do any kind of foster care. We all know who is spearheading this effort.

The attached article covers some interesting statistics:

http://www.urban.org/publications/411437.html

It seems there are about 65,000 kids who have been adopted and 14,000 kids in foster care by gay or lesbian parents. It makes me proud to be gay and see the people in our community who are meeting such a vital need. Smile

[Updated on: Sun, 25 July 2010 21:30]

Age appears to be best in four things; old wood best to burn, old wine to drink, old friends to trust, and old authors to read. (Sir Francis Bacon 1561-1626)
Previous Topic: A tired old joke
Next Topic: Bollocks...the Church and Gay priests...
Goto Forum: