A Place of Safety
I expect simple behaviours here. Friendship, and love.
Any advice should be from the perspective of the person asking, not the person giving!
We have had to make new membership moderated to combat the huge number of spammers who register

You are here: Home > Forum > A Place of Safety > General Talk > Teen Brit Singing Sensation Comes Out
icon14.gif Teen Brit Singing Sensation Comes Out  [message #63144] Sun, 01 August 2010 13:32 Go to next message
Brody Levesque is currently offline  Brody Levesque

Really getting into it

SPECIAL TO IOMFATS -- By Brody Levesque (Bethesda, Maryland) AUGUST 1 | In an exclusive interview with the British newspaper The Daily Mirror, 19 year old Joe McElderry publicly acknowledged that he is Gay after months of denial.
In what was termed an emotional interview by Mirror staff writer Clemmie Moodie, McElderry is quoted as telling her:

“I’m really happy, I now know who I am.”

The decision to make a public announcement was apparently initiated by McElderry's Twitter account being hacked three weeks ago. Several messages were left that intimated that he was Gay, in which the hackers attempted to verify rumours that he was in fact Gay including this one:

"It's been difficult living a lie for so many years…"

Which then made it necessity for him to tell his Mum that he was Gay according to McElderry.
McElderry's been under intense scrutiny by the press & others regarding his sexuality since his appearance and sensational performances that led to his being declared a winner on Britain's ITV programme, X Factor.

Yesterday, on a statement released by his publicist on his official webpage, McElderry wrote:
" I have always been a very honest person and so it is important for me to continue to be honest.
It has been the most amazing year so far and I feel so privileged. It’s also been a time of real self realisation and I feel as if I have grown up so much in these few months.

There has been speculation about my sexuality in the past and I have always been honest at the time I have been asked.
Over the past few weeks I have really had time to reflect and to realise who I am. I spoke to my friends and family about this in the last few days and it was important to do the same for you all as you have been so supportive.

I have had nothing but support from you and many of you have been very open in saying that you will continue to support me whatever my sexuality. It is important to me to let you know first, so that you know the stories in the papers are true. I made the choice to speak openly about this."
He added: "Everything is going well and I’m really happy to be able to move forward from here.

Joe McElderry Photo Courtesy Of 95.8 FM London's Hit Radio
Re: Teen Brit Singing Sensation Comes Out  [message #63145 is a reply to message #63144] Sun, 01 August 2010 14:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

Notice how, in the UK, we treat this as pretty much matter of fact news?

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Yes, you folks do ...  [message #63151 is a reply to message #63145] Sun, 01 August 2010 19:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The Gay Deceiver is currently offline  The Gay Deceiver

Really getting into it

... which begs the question of frankly, "why it is newsworthy at all?"

I rarely follow news stories featuring real, or imagined, "celebrities", unless they highlight charitable or community endeavours. Their personal life is none of my business, and shouldn't be anyone elses' either.

There was certainly something to be said for the olde Hollywood "Star" system, and it's ability to keep the lid on their charges trashy, and other untoward, behaviours. I would like to see it's return.

Warren C. E. Austin
The Gay Deceiver
Toronto, Canada

[Updated on: Sun, 01 August 2010 19:46]

"... comme recherché qu'un délice callipygian"
Re: Yes, you folks do ...  [message #63152 is a reply to message #63151] Sun, 01 August 2010 20:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
chrisjames147 is currently offline  chrisjames147

Really getting into it

A handsome lad, gay isn't really an issue except maybe to the ladies out there who had hope of something grand. I looked at a few of his videos, nice voice but goodness, that accent, I can barely understand him when he talks.

I wish Joe McElderry all the luck in the world, he's going to need it. Celebrity status isn't always awarded to those with talent, but he's got it. A career to watch I say. Cutie. Razz

Age appears to be best in four things; old wood best to burn, old wine to drink, old friends to trust, and old authors to read. (Sir Francis Bacon 1561-1626)
Re: Yes, you folks do ...  [message #63153 is a reply to message #63151] Sun, 01 August 2010 20:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

It is the Mirror.

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
icon8.gif Why is it Newsworthy?  [message #63155 is a reply to message #63151] Sun, 01 August 2010 23:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Really getting into it

Warren, you're either especially thick or just plain out of touch. It is newsworthy in a positive way as he is now a role model to the THOUSANDS of LGBT kids who will read that bit in the mainstream media & take heart that there's hope.

Honestly, what is it with you all? I posted a piece about the remembrance of a young man MURDERED in Liverpool whose now being honoured at Liverpool Pride tomorrow and not a single one of you lot bothered to respond.

You lot keep preaching about a 'Place Of Safety' and yet, the very persons that could benefit have to put up with your old man cronyism and negativity.

Shame on you all. So what, if its not a fluff piece that borders on banal & inane you all can't be bothered?
Re: Why is it Newsworthy?  [message #63156 is a reply to message #63155] Sun, 01 August 2010 23:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

Three points here

One is that it really ought not to be newsworthy

Two is that the murdered lad was not as cute. I wonder if that is a factor?

Three is that he may be, but there are ways of expressing that thought that are not combative.

icon4.gif Re: Why is it Newsworthy? Round 2  [message #63157 is a reply to message #63156] Sun, 01 August 2010 23:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Really getting into it

Tim Wrote> "One is that it really ought not to be newsworthy" Maybe from a Brit perspective in the UK, granted. You all handle this differently. Maybe in a few years when being Gay is no different than say the colour of someone's hair, a variant of the human condition then I'd agree.

BUT, in the United States where the LGBT community is under constant attack and relentless hate from the right, it IS newsworthy.

Tim Wrote> "Two is that the murdered lad was not as cute. I wonder if that is a factor?" If that was even though it is vile & debases & degrades ALL LGBT kids, in fact ALL humans.

Tim Wrote> "Three is that he may be, but there are ways of expressing that thought that are not combative."
Nope NOT being combative, just being blunt and outspoken. Culturally you folks in the UK are not quite as direct as the Yanks, which is the culture I have resided in for over 30 years and appreciate that being blunt is sometimes better. At home in Canada, we are even more polite than you lot in England it has been said.
Well Brody ...  [message #63159 is a reply to message #63155] Mon, 02 August 2010 00:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Really getting into it

... truth be told, I'm neither thick, nor out-of-touch; perhaps simply too olde, and having outlived my usefulness in a World I perceive as being not one I really and truly want to be part of, and certainly not one I'm especially proud of. You can put that and all the cronyism you may accuse me of in your pipe and smoke it.

On the other hand, in first responding to this thread, and Timmy's reply therein, I hadn't really considered the "role-model" aspects of young McElderry's declaration of his being GAY; only that it's not, in the first instance, really anyone's inalienable right to be so "in the know" about his sexuality; nor, in the second, is it frankly anyone's business, and that by sharing such intimate knowledge in so public a manner, it might possibly lead to further trashy articles and unending controversy that he likely could well do without.

I did suggest that had his comments (or any other celebrities') been a part of some charitable or community endeavour, then his (or theirs) being GAY might well have had some news value, which (as you propose) just might quite possibly be of some value in contributing to his (or their) being a "role-model".

With regard to the Memorial for the slain Liverpudlian youth Michael Causer, I had only just finished reading your thoughts for a second time before commenting in this particular thread, and had not really "framed" the response I might have wanted to make, were I to be making any at all. It would appear that you have chosen to frame it for me, as I again read it for a third.

In closing, let me pose a question for you: "Why is it that Joe Six-pack (and Jane) seem to feel it to be their God-given right to know, and have such a driving need for, every last detail of any celebrity's private life?" Perhaps you could start a new thread on that very topic; and maybe, just maybe, it will prompt a few of the youngsters I know are out there reading these words, and those by my aged brethren, to chime in with their two-cents worth.

Warren C. E. Austin
The Gay Deceiver
Toronto, Canada

Blunt neither bothers ...  [message #63160 is a reply to message #63157] Mon, 02 August 2010 00:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Really getting into it

... nor deters me; I give as good as I get, and, yes back home WE ARE FAR MORE POLITE, excepting of course perhaps in "le vieux carré" of Montréal or Québec City; and it has been said.

Warren C. E. Austin
The Gay Deceiver

[Updated on: Mon, 02 August 2010 00:15]

icon3.gif Re: Well Brody ...  [message #63161 is a reply to message #63159] Mon, 02 August 2010 00:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Really getting into it

First, sorry old man, but I gave up smoking now nearly ten years ago. So no pipe.

Second, Stop looking at from the perspective of Joe-Six pack Warren. When was the last time you were in Town Centre? Did you pay attention to the youth gathered?

Where do you think they draw inspiration from. You? Me? Yeah, right a pair of old trolls---I think not. You live across the border from the cultural wars my fellow Canadian. Imagine the struggles of our First Nations, now couple that with the virtual enslavement and persecution they suffered at the hands of the all knowing, all white, super Christians et al. Now leap forward to this century, there's damn near no freaking difference.

Bear with me.... You're a scared 16 year old, 17 year old, hell 13 year old who just is yearning to be himself or herself, (gender not exclusive.) Where are the role models? Oh and by the way, in this case it wasn't the LGBT press that carried this first, it was the mainstream media. Do you not get the significance of that Warren?

What about the Gay soccer players who came out, the Gay divers, figure skaters, shit, the list goes on. So are you telling me that oh, it's okay, it's no one's business?

Hello! Think about the cause & effects of ANY celebrity from ANY field during the current climate politically and societal and culturally coming out. THAT is the point. It's not about Joe Six pack.

Think Family Research Council, Think Westboro Baptist Church, think about the Tea party types Warren. maybe the view from home is clear and the skies are blue...but from where I sit, it's no where close.

Read my blog every once in awhile and get educated. You spend way too much time with Yahoo and AOL news and the corporate crap that they spew which is just as crappy as Fox News. Seriously, the BBC & Al-Jezzera are by far better, more honest and least biased of the media. There is a war going on across the border Warren and make NO mistake about it. People get KILLED over this issue.

So back to my fictional 16 year old example... What do you tell him oh wise & noble one? "This too shall pass????"
These kids need affirmation like this UK singer and from US warren, the old trolls. They get that from pieces like the one you objected to.

As far as the Liverpool piece? it is telling that the crap about a disgruntled Yank soldier who stole classified information rated more responses than just a paltry 26 views and no replies don't you think?
Re: Well Brody ...  [message #63163 is a reply to message #63161] Mon, 02 August 2010 07:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
saben is currently offline  saben

On fire!

I grew up in an age of gay celebrities. I had potential role models but that was totally irrelevant to me.

I didn't give a shit if some random performer was gay. Aren't they always anyway?

I hated the camp faeries on TV.

Stop thinking you speak for gay youth, Brody.

I'm one, my boyfriend is one and you don't speak for either of us.

Look at this tree. I cannot make it blossom when it suits me nor make it bear fruit before its time [...] No matter what you do, that seed will grow to be a peach tree. You may wish for an apple or an orange, but you will get a peach.
Master Oogway
Re: Why is it Newsworthy?  [message #63164 is a reply to message #63155] Mon, 02 August 2010 07:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nigel is currently offline  Nigel

On fire!

Brody, you just don't get it. You call us thick, out of touch, you snipe at us old dudes (Sorry, you're "direct" like your adopted Yanks) and then you wonder why we're not inspired by you and don't espouse your causes.

I rest my case.

Hugs
Nigel

I dream of boys with big bulges in their trousers,
Never of girls with big bulges in their blouses.

…and look forward to meeting you in Cóito.
Re: Why is it Newsworthy?  [message #63166 is a reply to message #63164] Mon, 02 August 2010 08:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

I think he is perplexed that these causes are not the causes of all. And that has given rise to our seeing his caustic side.

I say this because I share his perplexity.

Role models  [message #63167 is a reply to message #63163] Mon, 02 August 2010 08:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

I was a kid once. I needed more than the awful array of poofs on display. I needed to see real people my age who were queer. Instead I got Liberace, Larry Grayson, John Inman, Kenneth WIlliams and so many more ageing queens. Liberace even won a libel action against a paper that claimed he was queer.

I was not brave enough to be queer. There were many contributing factors, but the main one was that I was not a camp poof. I was not a nancy boy. I do not have a limp wrist. I am not your classic queen. I'm aggressive and combative. And there were no role models except poof, queens and nancies. So how could I possibly come out and live life as me? I was bigoted against queers. I hated queers. And so I hated myself and I never grew up sexually.

Is that a good thing?

To pre-empt your answer, no it was not. I chose a life of hidden suffering and wailing and gnashing my teeth over something that could and should have been easily sorted out at the time, if I'd only admitted to myself I was queer. Not gay. Queer. You get 'gay'. I got 'queer'.

Maybe a decent role model would have helped.

I don't identify with them, these celebrities, but I find the lack of adverse reaction to them very helpful, even at my doddering old age. And I would have noticed that when I was 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 etc

Today the wonderful thing is that we get gay nonentities. Ordinary folk who happen to be gay. But we hear about the celebrities and minor celebs. That this singer, whoever he is, is gay, is not, in my view, newsworthy. But that does not diminish the potential for this so called news to inspire even one other kid.

And what is the inspiration?

That he remains popular whether he is gay or not. Unlike cowards like Ricky Martin who waited to come out until his fame was assured, this kid is now out, whatever that brings.

I'm glad you don't need a role model, though I wonder why that is. But you are wholly incorrect in your extrapolation from your and your boyfriend's position. The reality is somewhere between your position and 'everyone needs a role model'. And it is different for everyone.

Kicked Out, I think.  [message #63173 is a reply to message #63144] Mon, 02 August 2010 13:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NW is currently offline  NW

On fire!

OK, a couple of things.

Firstly, there are so many causes (both "gay" and to do with the other aspects of my life as a rounded human being) that I feel it's usually better to concentrate on a very few areas where I think I can potentially help make a real difference (like the BBC treatment of gay people and homosexuality, or the Uganda issue, or UK gay marriage) than to pointlessly squander my limited resources of time and energy commenting on things that doesn't really help progress.

Secondly, to the specific point of young Joe McElderry. I don't think this more-or-less forced outing is going to help anyone. I don't think someone who has been pushed into outing themselves, rather than deciding to do so in their own time for their own reasons, is an inspiring role model for anyone. It seems to me that the lesson that teenagers are most likely to draw from this sorry affair is that gay lads can easily be "suspected", and allegations or potentially false "outing" occur. In short, I think it may well make closeted gay or uncertain kids even more determined not to potentially reveal their orientation by look, word, gesture ... or, as far as it's controllable, thought.

Yup, this is the viewpoint of an old fogey. But it's not uninformed - I've chatted about it to my lad (aged 19). Despite being bi, and despite having attended Pride London with me, he's still very nervous of doing anything that might cause his street friends to suspect he's not 100% straight, and his credibility (as he sees it) to plummet.

Putting implied pressure on anyone - including potential young lurkers here - to come out before they have thought it through and are fully happy with it, is (in my view) grossly irresponsible.

Yup, that's not wrapped up in my usual careful politeness. Sorry, that's how I feel about it, and as we seem to have abandoned common courtesy in favour of political rants and in-fighting ("round 2" ? For fuck's sake, it's a forum, not a boxing ring) without giving any thought to lurkers who are probably being alienated in droves, I don't see why I shouldn't say it like I see it.

"The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral, begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy. ... Returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night devoid of stars." Martin Luther King
Re: Why is it Newsworthy? Round 2  [message #63174 is a reply to message #63157] Mon, 02 August 2010 14:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NW is currently offline  NW

On fire!

Brody Levesque wrote:
> Maybe from a Brit perspective in the UK, granted.

Brody, old chap. I think we've noted here before that many of us find the word "Brit" to be grossly offensive. It would be greatly appreciated if you could possibly remember to avoid using it in polite company. It's not a major thing, just a question of being a gentleman about it, d'y'see?

Thanks awfully

"The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral, begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy. ... Returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night devoid of stars." Martin Luther King
icon4.gif Re: Kicked Out, I think.  [message #63176 is a reply to message #63173] Mon, 02 August 2010 14:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Really getting into it

Nick, I absolutely DO NOT take issue in terms of where you're at especially given the fact that you are a leading cause for good within the "Greater" Gay community with each contribution that you've made in your lifetime.

YOU & I do not see eye to eye on numerous issues, given. The lurkers are not alienated in droves at all. Nor is common courtesy a given either.

As far as the coming out issue? I'm going to point this out to you Nick. You are sitting in London, even further from the cultural warfare here in the United States than Warren is at home in Canada. Brutal attacks both physical & verbal are all too common here in the states. It's way more than unfortunate- Coming out is very much still an issue but its by far a damn sight less horrible and traumatic when there are substantial people doing it in ALL walks of life just not celebrities. Slamming it as not newsworthy is disingenuous at the very least.... Safety is relative Nick.....

Now your youngster has also the 'Bi' issue that even worse because of internalised bias within the LGBT structure forget the straight world. I cringe when I hear Gay men making comments about Bi men which are oft times just dead wrong. But then too there's the prejudices against Transgendered folk too by the Gay community that is just as wrong.

Finally, your ""round 2" ? For fuck's sake, it's a forum, not a boxing ring" quote, if you don't like my use of Yank colloquialisms Nick then ignore 'em. But I am NOT gonna compromise my beliefs as a Gay man just because you so called old fogeys don't like having your precious London's Club upset because a loutish member of the Press Corps is running about.

Within the LGBT community right now in the U.S. there's a movement to get the Equal Rights that we deserve as Humans, forget the rest of it that is way louder than the 'older' established LGBT Lobbyists such as HRC GLAAD or the National Task Force, and those folks are pissing people off. GetEqual in particular. Sometimes just playing it safe and being inane and banal is simply not acceptable. There are those that would gladly kill us just for being Gay Nick. maybe the view from the relative safety of London is good for you, but when I see people holding up signs saying that putting Gay men to death for wanting to seal their love in marriage is okay, then you know what Nick? I get just alittle arsed about that. (Bilerico Project & The Advocate both covered that story.)

Finally Nick, the "I don't see why I shouldn't say it like I see it." is a given in my eyes and I wouldn't expect any less from you. BUT, keep this in mind too,
The world is made up of ALL kinds of people, including folks like me......

[Updated on: Mon, 02 August 2010 14:16]

Brody, you and I need ...  [message #63183 is a reply to message #63176] Mon, 02 August 2010 19:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Really getting into it

... to be "crystal-clear" on a couple of points:

1) I am NOT REMOVED from (nor unaware of) the "cultural warfare", as you term it, going on within America. I hold U.S. Citizenship (by right of my father, and his father before him, ad nausea); possess a valid American Social Security Number; until 30-years ago, filed both American and Canadian Tax Returns, albeit all my income (both American and Canadian) with taxes declared and paid duly under Canadian Law, not American; have resided and maintained homes in Los Angeles, Corpus Christi, Atlanta, Savannah, Laramie, Demming and New York City over the past 60-years, each for varying periods of time and for disparate reasons, granted that as a general rule these being largely for business purposes.

I have breathed and lived American moral and cultural "values" from the womb; that I have chosen to align myself morally and culturally with Canada, and Canadians, which early on may have been an expediency, with maturity it became a certainty. I have rubbed shoulders, and lived, with red-necks, wet-backs, coloureds, trailer-trash (of all flavours), monied and the socially favoured, and those not so blessed, hicks, hay-seeds, the fervently, and no so, faithful, the politically active, the educated and uneducated, with my at one point or another having seen most of the darker underbelly of American society just as surely as I have seen that within Canada too.

2) Yes, to some degree we in Canada are (as you well know) removed from the day-to-day struggles being experienced by not just our LGBT brethren, but far too many others too in their efforts to obtain equality under American Law, and not just because it's a legal imperative, but because it's morally just, and has been ignored far too long within the fabric of those self-same American moral and cultural values American loves to hold so dearly; and not just in America, throughout the World, and rightly so.

I may frequently speak of my having been blessed as a Gay youth, growing up as I did here in Canada, with my only being peripherally aware of the difficulties being encountered by others in their quest for identity; but, let me be plain spoken about it, the Canadian cultural awakening was a mine-field laden with ill-advised and poorly thought out policies. The least of these being then Prime Minister Pierre Elliot Trudeau's push for the decriminalization of Homosexuality in 1966, which became de-facto Law in March of 1967 with the first of several Privy Counsel Orders, amending the Criminal Code of Canada; albeit hurriedly enacted just in time for the opening of "expo'67" at Montréal, with similar "limited-time" Provinicial orders put in place respecting the age of consent, alcohol-consumption, public-gathering, and whatnot, all designed to diminish the impact of potential infringements upon our existing Laws respecting all manner of conduct by foreign visitors during the World's Fair, and an attempt to diffuse any potential media disaster that might ensue should someone get caught with their pants down in the wrong place at the wrong time, and under the wrong circumstances. "expo'67" was Canada's first World-class media event, and it just had to go smoothly. The LGBT community at that time benefited greatly from the National paranoia of being seen to be "not with it" and attuned to the cultural peccadilloes of others; but once that particular Genie had be let out of the bottle, it was never, ever going to be put back in, although it wouldn't be until 1982 that the Law Enforcement community (with the enactment of the Charter of Rights) would come fully on board with these changes; nor would Canadian society again ever be the same, with broad Multicultural changes sweeping the nation, and becoming policy. Policy that only education, not legislation, was going to ensure Multiculturalism would be fully realized, and then only after some 40-years or more had passed.

Yeah, the decriminalization of Homosexuality in Canada was initially not Legislated, but firstly sanctioned by Privy Counsel Order, because even though M. Trudeau had a majority in Parliament, he knew it would never, ever, past into Law if Legislated; with it being a further 5-years (and bitter infighting within the political fabric of Canadian Society) before he could get the relevant sections of the Criminal Code of Canada duly amended by Parliament. Until my dying breathe, I will never forget Emile's kiss (yes, I do remember the youth's name, one time only though it may have been, simply because of the uniqueness of the circumstances) under one of the sweeping transoms of the Pont Jacques Cartier on Ilse St. Hélène at "expo'67", nor our huddled groping or one another in the near-by shrubbery, for the first time in our certain knowledge that we were not going to be rousted and charged with gross indecency for our behaviour, and that our holding one another's hand, whilst it raised eye-brows all over the place, wasn't going to get us pilloried by those around us. This was the climate that allowed Jon, as culturally attuned as he may have been, to feel he could approach me in broad day-light before his and mine own peers and stake his claim that fateful day in late May of 1967.

Lest we forget too, March of 1967, was fully 27-months before the much vaunted, and ballyhooed "Stonewall Riots" in New York City. Jon and I were in New York that night, not at the Stonewall Inn, but some blocks away, and Lordy I can tell you, news of the riot sweep throughout SoHo and it's environs like a brush-fire, with hundreds upon hundreds of supporters dropping whatever they were doing, wherever they were, and their rushing to the scene. I frankly had never ever seen anything like it before, and I can truthfully say, I haven't since either.

Canada learned by it's experience with "expo'67", and with the advent of the Olympics in 1976, again at Montréal, no temporary provisions were made were respecting the conduct of visitors, nor were they at all necessary in Vancouver for it's "expo" or Calgary and recently in Vancouver for their Olympics. The fabric of Canadian societal and moral values had shifted, and what had once been viewed as being vital had become business-as-usual.

3) The quest for Multicultural parity in Canada, and in particular LGBT equality, has never been easy, but 40-years in, it's so very easy for Canadians to be smug about it; we after all is said and done, have been there, done that. Hopefully, our American brethren will learn from our errors, and from those being committed elsewhere, and profit from those experiences. Unfortunately only time will tell.

The aforementioned being stated from the fifteenth floor residence, overlooking Lake Ontario, located in the heart of the "Scarborough Village", a community of East Toronto ravaged by drug-wars, prostitution and economic upheaval; accommodation arrange by a Landlord "friend" who needed Caucasian faces in a newly acquired aging building he was desperate to turn around, which was then populated by largely third-world émigrés, and generally speaking uninhabitable by anyone's standards because of the savagery of the then prevailing situation.

I, my son, and my business partner, took up residence here, firstly, as a favour to our Landlord friend and his preferential lease and, secondly, because it was located smack dab at the centre of an atypical community our Charitable endeavour in placing refurbished computing technology in the hands of those most deserving, and least able to afford it, was sorely needed. Three years on, the face of this community has changed, with our building and those around us now in the later stages of much needed urban renewal, our streets now safe to walk about at all or any hour of the night or day, and a thriving, yet albeit still impoverished, commercial marketplace and social awakening; a community that has faced, and endured all manner of hardship and social change and has become that much stronger for having survived it; a community where very little surprises any one of us; not any more; where Christian Caucasians are a definite minority, and not likely to ever again be anything else; a community where I feel totally safe, nurtured, and right at home.

Warren C. E. Austin
The Gay Deceiver
Toronto, Canada

[Updated on: Mon, 02 August 2010 19:57]

Book! Book!  [message #63188 is a reply to message #63183] Tue, 03 August 2010 08:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
acam is currently offline  acam

On fire!

I think I've asked you before, Warren, to write your autobiography. I'm delighted by the snippets you post; it's a pity that they have to be stimulated by the abrasive one.

Well done, Jon! Well done Emile! And long live the lot of you.
Love,
Anthony
icon13.gif Restraint  [message #63189 is a reply to message #63188] Tue, 03 August 2010 08:55 Go to previous message
timmy

Has no life at all

I'm getting tough on everyone right now.

I'm fairly annoyed at anyone who snipes. I would expect us all to have grown up some. So, it's tough that you get hit when you retaliate, but hit you get.

You all seem incapable of self policing, however long I leave you all to try, so I get stuck with the job.

So this is it. Enough is enough.

I'm not going to try to make anyone apologise, but it is time it stopped.

Previous Topic: George Carlin on Religion and God
Next Topic: City Of Liverpool UK To Remember Slain Gay Youth
Goto Forum: