A Place of Safety
I expect simple behaviours here. Friendship, and love.
Any advice should be from the perspective of the person asking, not the person giving!
We have had to make new membership moderated to combat the huge number of spammers who register

You are here: Home > Forum > A Place of Safety > General Talk > Medical Treatment Carries Possible Side Effect
icon3.gif Medical Treatment Carries Possible Side Effect  [message #63315] Sun, 15 August 2010 12:45 Go to next message
Brody Levesque is currently offline  Brody Levesque

Really getting into it

Brody's Notes... Los Angeles Times Senior Staff Health Correspondent Shari Roan reports on a hormonal treatment that theoretically can influence postnatal behavior, not just genital differentiation.
A prenatal pill for congenital adrenal hyperplasia to prevent ambiguous genitalia may reduce the chance that a female with the disorder will be gay. Critics call it engineering for sexual orientation.

By Shari Roan (Los Angeles, California) Aug 15 | Each year in the United States, perhaps a few dozen pregnant women learn they are carrying a fetus at risk for a rare disorder known as congenital adrenal hyperplasia. The condition causes an accumulation of male hormones and can, in females, lead to genitals so masculinized that it can be difficult at birth to determine the baby's gender.
A hormonal treatment to prevent ambiguous genitalia can now be offered to women who may be carrying such infants. It's not without health risks, but to its critics those are of small consequence compared with this notable side effect: The treatment might reduce the likelihood that a female with the condition will be homosexual. Further, it seems to increase the chances that she will have what are considered more feminine behavioral traits.
That such a treatment would ever be considered, even to prevent genital abnormalities, has outraged gay and lesbian groups, troubled some doctors and fueled bioethicists' debate about the nature of human sexuality.

The treatment is a step toward "engineering in the womb for sexual orientation," said Alice Dreger, a professor of clinical medical humanities and bioethics at Northwestern University and an outspoken opponent of the treatment.

Continue reading at The LA Times [ http://www.latimes.com/news/science/la-sci-adrenal-20100815,0,5576220.story ]
Frankly, I'm amazed that anyone would ever be, however ...  [message #63316 is a reply to message #63315] Sun, 15 August 2010 14:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The Gay Deceiver is currently offline  The Gay Deceiver

Really getting into it

... remotely, surprised with news such as this.

We all knew that this would come to pass.

Bio-engineering, by its' very definition, and with the successful mapping of the human and, more recently, other genus genomes, was destined to become society's new "media darling" and "next-best-thing". We see it rearing its' ugly head in all manner of situations and circumstances; it being touted as the ultimate panacea designed to address everything from Male Pattern Baldness and Infertility through to and including cures for World Hunger, Cancer and ... wait for it ... my own personal favourite (my God how I wish we'd have had this when I was that age), the likelihood that acne could be largely diminished, if not eradicated outright, despite the inevitable onset of puberty.

Whilst the desire to understand disease, and perhaps be able to engineer remedial therapies to alleviate our collective suffering from them, may be laudable, it is inherent in the human condition that once we had achieved this capability, the technology would be used to advance the causes most near and dear to our hearts and minds: personal self-aggrandizement and glorification, with our newly found ability to be able to pick and chose personality traits, gender, capabilities and appearances even before the big nasty has even been done.

Money, not an act of God, will be, and is, the ultimate driving force of this new agenda; those being most able to afford its' supposed benefits will utilize it for all it's worth, with the rest being second-class also runs.

Warren C. E. Austin
The Gay Deceiver
Toronto, Canada

[Updated on: Sun, 15 August 2010 14:54]

"... comme recherché qu'un délice callipygian"
Re: Frankly, I'm amazed that anyone would ever be, however ...  [message #63317 is a reply to message #63316] Mon, 16 August 2010 07:55 Go to previous message
saben is currently offline  saben

On fire!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gattaca

Look at this tree. I cannot make it blossom when it suits me nor make it bear fruit before its time [...] No matter what you do, that seed will grow to be a peach tree. You may wish for an apple or an orange, but you will get a peach.
Master Oogway
Previous Topic: California Gay Marriage Ban Overturned...for the moment
Next Topic: Another "At Last"
Goto Forum: