A Place of Safety
I expect simple behaviours here. Friendship, and love.
Any advice should be from the perspective of the person asking, not the person giving!
We have had to make new membership moderated to combat the huge number of spammers who register

You are here: Home > Forum > A Place of Safety > General Talk > This site
icon7.gif This site  [message #63729] Sun, 12 September 2010 05:21 Go to next message
attatood.too is currently offline  attatood.too

Likes it here

Hey all, I know I haven't done much posting on the forum other than when I was going through a rough spot earlier this year (don't know if anyone remembers) but I still lurk in the shadows and read many of the posts. I have learned alot from this forum and greatly enjoy the rest of the site also.

I have also recently learned that my 15 year old nephew has also been enjoying the site after he found it through my browser's history when he was visiting a while back (sneaky twit :-/ ). He refuses to register or sign in, but tells me he loves the story shelf and has learned from the site too... he tells me that you can burn a candle at one end but can have "tons more fun" with the other end (he is standing here grinning at me like the devil as I type that, so I think I will have to go hunting the site later although I am pretty sure I have a good idea what that is all about).

Anyway, The forum has been getting a little rocky as of late, but I wanted to let you all know (and especially Timmy) that the site IS useful and used by more of us than those who spend their time yelling at each other in the forums. Right here you have 2 different generations that enjoy the site. The people that create havoc are in the minority I think and are inconsequential. Nobody here is either better than, or more important than anyone else here. Give each other a chance, everyone is entitled to their own opinion. I occasionally like to write poems when I am in the mood and this one fits here:

The Star

So you think you're a star,
above all the rest?
Higher than high,
better than best?

Think the world will collapse,
without you around?
No stronger support beam
could ever be found?

Well here are some thoughts,
for one so naïve.
Some sobering words
that you may not believe.

Take a look at the sky
and I'll paint you a scene
that will knock you back down
to where you've never been.

See that small star,
the one off to the right?
That's YOU up there
shining with your meager light.

Now watch as the star suddenly
falls from it's place.
Streaking off through the dark
'til it's burned up in space.

Now look to where it
was once perched in the sky.
It left not a mark
to remember it by.

The universe needs more
than just one or two.
It relies on us all
and not just a few.

So next time your ego
may burst at it's seam,
come back down to earth
and work with the TEAM.

**Attatood** 7-30-09 Name replaced by nick.

Appropriate or not, I felt it needed to be said.

I prefer guys that don't come in a box.
Re: This site  [message #63731 is a reply to message #63729] Sun, 12 September 2010 07:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
acam is currently offline  acam

On fire!

Dear Attatood,
Does he know this:

(Poem #34) First Fig

My candle burns at both ends;
It will not last the night;
But ah, my foes, and oh, my friends--
It gives a lovely light!

-- Edna St Vincent Millay

It comes from A Few Figs from Thistles: Poems and Sonnets (New York and London: Harper, 1922.
Love,
Anthony
Re: This site  [message #63733 is a reply to message #63729] Sun, 12 September 2010 09:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

attatood wrote:
> ...The people that create havoc are in the minority I think and are inconsequential...

They are, but, by definition, they are unwelcome. They cause unpleasantness for everyone. When there is no value to add, then they add the sounds of their own bewilderingly strident voices. The moral high ground is not theirs.

I'm glad two generations in the same family are finding the site useful. I do not expect your nephew ever to register and post (he may or may not at his sole discretion) We had to make it registration only because of appalling spam problems.

The site away from the forum is enormous. I'm glad he found the item about candles. Life is so much easier in the virginity losing process if one has some sort of idea what is going to happen physically. Preparation physically and mentally for the new sensations increases future enjoyment, and, while one is unpartnered, increases solo fun immensely.

I do know that, as my father used to translate so badly from his native tongue, "The barking of the digs proves that we are riding horses," but I usually expect the dogs to be in villages we pass through. We seem to have collected a few dogs that bark from horseback.

Right now Warren is pretty good at slapping our trolls, so, right now, though he has not volunteered, I am simply supporting his work Smile

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
icon13.gif DNFTT was initially attractive. This is a warning shot.  [message #63734 is a reply to message #63731] Sun, 12 September 2010 10:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

Somewhat impractical for the use of the candle that was being considered. Most people do not enjoy inserting a burning dildo into their bodies.

You do this very often. You look at a thread and consider how you may add your own variety of havoc and inconsequentiality to it, then you plunge in and see what diversion you cause. Often I wonder whether you are conducting research for a thesis about written online communication and are seeing precisely how perverse you can be in order to stimulate something bizarre.

You divert things of importance into trivia. Initially I assumed it was because things of importance made you uncomfortable. When I saw that this was not true I wondered if it was the early onset of Alzheimers, something unpleasant but wholly excusable, but I do not believe that to be the case. Then I wondered if you were just being 'clever', like the kid in school that pretty much everyone wanted to slap, teachers and classmates alike, at playtime, because of his smart remarks, but you are not stupid, so that cannot be it.

It's subtle, this behaviour. It can't be considered to be rude because it isn't rudeness by the use of words or phrases that are themselves rude. But it is, nonetheless, trolling. I should thus be reacting with a classic Do Not Feed The Trolls Response, that is precisely nothing. However that means that someone else will answer the diversion and we will be away again on one of your frolics to remove attention from anything remotely important. And this behaviour is a substantial contributory cause of the forum's current woeful state.

It's easy to destroy stuff. It's far harder to build it. Me? I'm a builder. But I will destroy what I must in order to build.

So, get with the programme. Are you a builder, or are you covered by this sentence: "The people that create havoc are in the minority I think and are inconsequential"?

Note that I do not require an answer, not from you and not from anyone. I require a set of continual practical demonstrations of good faith, not just from you, though this is specifically directed at you, but from everyone.

You asked about fences and the discomfort of sitting thereon. Saben pointed the answer out to you. I spoke of trust. All you are doing is acquiring more rope. Continue to acquire and use that rope and you will be making your own decision to leave here. I will help you by enforcing that decision for you so you cannot be tempted to return.

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Re: DNFTT was initially attractive. This is a warning shot.  [message #63739 is a reply to message #63734] Sun, 12 September 2010 14:36 Go to previous message
saben is currently offline  saben

On fire!

Without trying to dilute your very important message, timmy I just wanted to say that the candle being inside doesn't need to be lit to make your insides feel alive and on-fire. ;-D

In that sense the candle could be burning at both ends, though I probably wouldn't burn the outside end. It's be dangerous, you risk dripping candle wax on delicate areas and the chances of singing oneself are high. Surprised

I did always think that saying referred to sleeping late and waking early, though. Which really has nothing to do with the original post. Acam sometimes reminds me of Dumbledore (I watched Harry Potter 6 again tonight...) thought with Dumbledore there's usually something profound to his quirky ramblings that advances the plot- with Acam I'm not so sure!Sad)

Look at this tree. I cannot make it blossom when it suits me nor make it bear fruit before its time [...] No matter what you do, that seed will grow to be a peach tree. You may wish for an apple or an orange, but you will get a peach.
Master Oogway
Previous Topic: Why I refuse to fight in a war
Next Topic: Congratulations Timmy on 10000 posts!
Goto Forum: