A Place of Safety
I expect simple behaviours here. Friendship, and love.
Any advice should be from the perspective of the person asking, not the person giving!
We have had to make new membership moderated to combat the huge number of spammers who register

You are here: Home > Forum > A Place of Safety > General Talk > And Saudi Arabia is beyond condemnation
And Saudi Arabia is beyond condemnation  [message #63809] Tue, 14 September 2010 15:46 Go to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

http://www.pinknews.co.uk/2010/09/14/gay-saudi-diplomat-says-hell-be-killed-if-sent-home/ says it all.

Do I need to comment?

Only insofar is to suggest that we live in countries who kowtow to Saudi Arabia. Is it not time to ask our elected representatives to press for human rights there instead?

Lest anyone suggest that, by posting this I am "bringing more hate into the world" as I saw once, here, in another thread exposing hatred, I might remind us all that the hate is omnipresent. By exposing it to the public gaze we show it for what it is: bigotry.

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Re: And Saudi Arabia is beyond condemnation  [message #63810 is a reply to message #63809] Tue, 14 September 2010 16:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
chrisjames147 is currently offline  chrisjames147

Really getting into it

I'm not sure the gay gentleman will find this American government receptive to his asylum plea.

Saudi human rights issues seem to take a back seat to oil and arms deals in the billions of dollars, what could the dignity and life of one gay man mean in the face of all that?

I understand it's very nice in Finland this time of year, they have a better human rights and gay friendly government than we do.

Age appears to be best in four things; old wood best to burn, old wine to drink, old friends to trust, and old authors to read. (Sir Francis Bacon 1561-1626)
Re: And Saudi Arabia is beyond condemnation  [message #63811 is a reply to message #63809] Tue, 14 September 2010 16:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
saben is currently offline  saben

On fire!

My aunt's boyfriend is from Pakistan- he joined the Mormon church and was disowned by his family as a result and was scared of returning home for fear of his life.

I hate to single out a religion, but I really Islam is a scourge on the earth today. Christian has its share of nutjobs, but even Fred Phelps hasn't gone so far as to murder over sexuality.

It isn't just religion, it's culture and it's politics, too. And Christianity has done its fair share of crap in the past. But today? It's Islam. I hope Islamic faith can move forward as it is starting to in isolated pockets, similar to how many Christian faiths have moved forward (even if it's only slightly).

Look at this tree. I cannot make it blossom when it suits me nor make it bear fruit before its time [...] No matter what you do, that seed will grow to be a peach tree. You may wish for an apple or an orange, but you will get a peach.
Master Oogway
Re: And Saudi Arabia is beyond condemnation  [message #63812 is a reply to message #63811] Tue, 14 September 2010 16:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

From the little I understand of Islam, the Saudis have inflicted the most draconian version on their citizens, and seek to have it spread further.

It is not, I think, a case of Islam making forward progress, but of it ceasing its backward slide to the law of the sword.

No deity would require such draconian laws.

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
icon5.gif Re: And Saudi Arabia is beyond condemnation  [message #63821 is a reply to message #63812] Tue, 14 September 2010 22:00 Go to previous message
chrisjames147 is currently offline  chrisjames147

Really getting into it

The major issue in Islam is that Saudi Arabia owns the religion, and that is a bad thing since they are such a self centered culture.

The only hope I can see for Islam to redeem itself in the eyes of the world is for it to split into factions that are not clan based. Christianity remade itself at the hands of Martin Luther. How many Christian sects evolved from the Catholic Church?

Islam needs to religiously isolate the terrorists and shun the hate filled speech that issues from the Imam's in that quarter. Religion is never going to disappear from human society, but it does need to evolve.

I may never find myself believing in a god almighty, but there are many who do. I cannot disrespect an entire segment of society but I can desire that they change to respect my beliefs. If not then nature gave me a sure way of expressing myself. I have two middle fingers and I don't mind saying F U with the appropriate handsign to show my displeasure.

Age appears to be best in four things; old wood best to burn, old wine to drink, old friends to trust, and old authors to read. (Sir Francis Bacon 1561-1626)
Previous Topic: Ninth question
Next Topic: Eleventh Question
Goto Forum: