A Place of Safety
I expect simple behaviours here. Friendship, and love.
Any advice should be from the perspective of the person asking, not the person giving!
We have had to make new membership moderated to combat the huge number of spammers who register

You are here: Home > Forum > A Place of Safety > General Talk > Freedom of religion? Give me a break!
icon5.gif Freedom of religion? Give me a break!  [message #63865] Thu, 16 September 2010 16:30 Go to next message
chrisjames147 is currently offline  chrisjames147

Really getting into it

I am not a religious person, and I regard most recognized religions as little more than cults, but this is so far out I can't believe it:

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5hfzlAZx8J9TaN6TwZpSftLVbGCeAD9I8UHB01

I wouldn't care if there were hundreds of thousands of followers in this strange "religion" I wouldn't give them the time of day or allow any of the members some kind of privledge.

Let's take for example the Rastafarians, they are not recognized as a religion in this country. So they get a little stoned and listen to Bob Marley, does that make them a religion?

Church of Body Modification, who are they kidding? I think someone has been smoking some of that Rastafarian religion. I guess this would make all tattoo parlors a house of worship. GIVE ME A BREAK....:-/

Age appears to be best in four things; old wood best to burn, old wine to drink, old friends to trust, and old authors to read. (Sir Francis Bacon 1561-1626)
Re: Freedom of religion? Give me a break!  [message #63869 is a reply to message #63865] Thu, 16 September 2010 18:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
saben is currently offline  saben

On fire!

Body Modification and control over the physical to access the spiritual has long been a part of penitent Christian sects and a large part of Hindu and Yogic traditions.

http://uscobm.com/ Explains more about the Church of Body Modification.

I don't think we have the right to challenge their faith or what they want to call their church and their beliefs.

That said it's not really a First Amendment issue. The First Amendment is about the role of Congress and religion, not about whether schools should be able to set their own rules.

The issue here seems to be that the school's code of conduct allows exemptions for religions- but only the ones that it sees as "real" religions. That undermines the spiritual beliefs of this group of people. Either the school shouldn't allow exemptions or it should. This isn't a made up thing by the girl (although some may think that at first). Her parents practice and believe in body modification as a way of being spiritual, too.

Look at this tree. I cannot make it blossom when it suits me nor make it bear fruit before its time [...] No matter what you do, that seed will grow to be a peach tree. You may wish for an apple or an orange, but you will get a peach.
Master Oogway
Does freedom of religion mean anything goes?  [message #63876 is a reply to message #63869] Thu, 16 September 2010 20:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Really getting into it

I suppose Saben that you have a point to your comments. My major concern is that any group of people can start a religion no matter their point of view.

I don't find this girl's story compelling because I think allowing 14 year olds to poke holes in their body is virtually criminal, and to do it in the name of religion absurd. If a 14 year old is considered the owner of their body and free to mutilate it then why do we have age of consent laws?

The Rastafarians are a cult of over a million people and yet their marijuana smoking practices have kept them from receiving religious status in many countries. Is that any worse than body piercing?

California in past decades was the home of so many little cults of personality, there were yogas everywhere espousing their own take on life. Many were like the Church of Scientology, the most for profit orgainzation I have ever read about.

If every individual is entitled to start a cult, a way of life type of religion and receive government blessing then I better think hard about starting my own. I just have to think up something silly and pray about it.

The Body Modification bunch seems to espouse poking holes and this Mission Statement page is slightly disturbing:

http://uscobm.com/mission-statement/

Self mutilation is not a holy practice and thus your first comment is unacceptable to me:

"Body Modification and control over the physical to access the spiritual has long been a part of penitent Christian sects and a large part of Hindu and Yogic traditions."

Fasting, prayer, baptism I see as benign practice which harms no one. I suppose by the beliefs of this cult that kids who self mutilate are actually in prayer. Kids who do that are only one step away from suicide, I know from counseling more than a few. Let's not encourage anything like this. I don't want my government supporting this movement in any way.

My opening statement said that I don't buy religion at any level, this just makes me understand how right I am. But if self depreciating acts of violence against the human body is your thing I won't criticise, you are an adult. Let's just leave the kids alone. The world is full of enough insanity.

I thought to add this link at the last moment in case anyone wishes to follow through on the effects these actions have on children:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12507800

[Updated on: Thu, 16 September 2010 21:24]

Age appears to be best in four things; old wood best to burn, old wine to drink, old friends to trust, and old authors to read. (Sir Francis Bacon 1561-1626)
Re: Does freedom of religion mean anything goes?  [message #63879 is a reply to message #63876] Thu, 16 September 2010 22:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
saben is currently offline  saben

On fire!

Kids that express same-sex attraction are often just one step away from suicide. We should do all we can to ensure kids aren't allowed to get into that nasty business.

Look at this tree. I cannot make it blossom when it suits me nor make it bear fruit before its time [...] No matter what you do, that seed will grow to be a peach tree. You may wish for an apple or an orange, but you will get a peach.
Master Oogway
icon5.gif Re: Does freedom of religion mean anything goes?  [message #63881 is a reply to message #63879] Thu, 16 September 2010 23:44 Go to previous message

Really getting into it

Saben...I do not understand your statement.

If you are quoting something then please provide the source.

Certainly same sex attraction is not the complete source of suicidal thought, bullying those who have these feelings is the major cause.

A sincere empathetic response by adults is the only solution to gay teen suicide. Any adult who knowingly ignores an event of bullying is a criminal. As has been said...I give a damn, do you?

[Updated on: Thu, 16 September 2010 23:47]

Previous Topic: Re: A Story that needs to be told.
Next Topic: This is why campaigning is so important!
Goto Forum: