A Place of Safety
I expect simple behaviours here. Friendship, and love.
Any advice should be from the perspective of the person asking, not the person giving!
We have had to make new membership moderated to combat the huge number of spammers who register

You are here: Home > Forum > A Place of Safety > General Talk > Blatant latent homophobia
Blatant latent homophobia  [message #64068] Mon, 27 September 2010 09:56 Go to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

I just met a neighbour on the quayside as I was watching a couple of minesweepers leave harbour. In conversation I told him I thought, though the ensigns were not visible, that they might be Belgian.

"Lucky they aren't Dutch," he said. "The entire Dutch navy is homosexual!"

And he went on to describe a time in his working life when some Dutch ambassadorial type whose effeminacy he describes clearly, had asked him at a reception if he was married, and then expressed disappointment that he was.

He's a pompous, boring old fart and there is no hope of his being made to change his ways, and I weighed up the global benefit of assuring him that we were not all effeminate versus keeping silent. I kept silent without affirming his view one way or the other.

There is a generation that has to die out. The sooner the better.

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Age related oppression and Lady MacBeth  [message #64069 is a reply to message #64068] Mon, 27 September 2010 10:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

Thinking about the generation that needs to die out and looking at the ONS survey data, there is a reinforcing correlation between the attitudes of the heterosexual (or alleged heterosexual) people and the low self identification as homosexual in that same generation.

I do find I doubt the sexuality of those who bring homosexuality suddenly into a conversation where it has no place, too. Why even think about the Dutch navy being homosexual unless homosexuality os never far from the forefront of your mind? Lady MacBeth, anyone?

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Re: Age related oppression and Lady MacBeth  [message #64070 is a reply to message #64069] Mon, 27 September 2010 11:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
DesDownunder is currently offline  DesDownunder

Likes it here

Out, out, brief candle, come out of the closet, or get out of the way of us normal folk who like to use the candle wax for kinky purpose. ;-D

I agree Timmy, there is a whole generation of people in denial, and to include them in a survey as heterosexual is misleading to say the least.

DesDownunder

Call me naive if you want, but life without trust in the goodness of others would be intolerable.

Religious indoctrination: It gets better, without it.
Re: Blatant latent homophobia  [message #64075 is a reply to message #64068] Mon, 27 September 2010 17:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
saben is currently offline  saben

On fire!

"There is a generation that has to die out. The sooner the better."

I agree with this. Time will solve homophobia as much as campaigning.

Ryan's grandma is a lovely old woman, she is so kind and reminds me of the typical fairytale grandma. But she only knows me as Ryan's friend. She's in her 80s and it's best that way, I think. Ryan loves her to bits, but I just don't think she'd be able to work her head around it. It's better and easier for me to just be Ryan's friend (that is there for every Christmas and Easter...)

The rest of his family knows and I'm not wishing his grandma to an early grave. But I just don't think we'd ever change her mind. She's old and homophobic and can be so until the day she dies. Until then she's also a lovely lady that is a product of her time.

Things will change and have changed. They'll continue to change. I'll leave the oldies be...

Look at this tree. I cannot make it blossom when it suits me nor make it bear fruit before its time [...] No matter what you do, that seed will grow to be a peach tree. You may wish for an apple or an orange, but you will get a peach.
Master Oogway
icon3.gif Re: Blatant latent homophobia  [message #64076 is a reply to message #64075] Mon, 27 September 2010 18:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Brody Levesque is currently offline  Brody Levesque

Really getting into it

Yes, _____________,(fill-in the blank as appropriate) you are correct. *sigh.* You have found us out. You have exposed the truth, finally, about homosexuals. The jig is up. It's over. It's settled!

Homosexuals are indeed born heterosexual, as is everyone, but we choose to live a lifestyle totally contrary to our natural heterosexual desires. So even though homosexuality is unnatural and utterly repugnant to us, we choose this lifestyle in order to subject ourselves to estrangement from family and friends, insults and bashing in the streets (including death), religious persecution and excommunication, discrimination in housing and employment, inability to marry, inability to serve our country in the military, and at the end of the day, lie about it all by claiming we were born this way.

Congratulations, sir (or madam)- your brilliance and insight into this issue is breathtaking.
Re: Blatant latent homophobia  [message #64077 is a reply to message #64076] Mon, 27 September 2010 18:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

Love the poster, but I bet it wasn't addressed to Saben

icon14.gif Re: Blatant latent homophobia  [message #64078 is a reply to message #64077] Mon, 27 September 2010 19:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
chrisjames147 is currently offline  chrisjames147

Really getting into it

I love good sarcasm. Humans are such pompus fools and often need to have that pointed out.

Take my father's generation. Yes, they fought in the big bad war. I make no appologies to his generation for anything. They gave us The Bomb and Vietnam, thanks a lot (assholes).

It tells me a lot that my father see this economic downturn as an inconvenience, things will get better soon. Better than what? Yes, they had the Great Depression, but that only affected a small percentage of the population just like this one does. Tell that to the guy out of work and living under a bridge.

I am going to offend someone here, but please don't forgive me. Age no longer denotes wisdom in our world. Knowledge is king and it is freely available, so don't tell me about your PhD, that just tells me where you were for eight years.

The Earth revolves and evolves, unless you are the Catholic Church (had to zing that one in there) People in the Arab world used to be brilliant scholars and mathematicians, not no more. Most of us don't sit on a pile of money and think they are wise.

Wisdom must be sought because it certainly doesn't get absorbed while sitting on your ass. The desire to learn and the means to gain knowledge are the most important things that the newer generations must be taught. It won't be something that comes in a Tweet or a text message. The mind must be pointed in the right direction otherwise a child will walk right past real knowledge. If they do then another generation will go down the drain.

If these children can be so accepting of racial equality then what happened to the equality of gays? I would vote for a manditory retirement age for politicians, is sixty too young? Let's throw the old homophobic bastards out.

[Updated on: Mon, 27 September 2010 19:30]

Age appears to be best in four things; old wood best to burn, old wine to drink, old friends to trust, and old authors to read. (Sir Francis Bacon 1561-1626)
Re: Blatant latent homophobia  [message #64080 is a reply to message #64078] Mon, 27 September 2010 20:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

Chris James wrote:
> If these children can be so accepting of racial equality then what happened to the equality of gays? I would vote for a manditory retirement age for politicians, is sixty too young? Let's throw the old homophobic bastards out.

I had to pick this part out. Billy Lucas moved to the school he died from because he was bullied at his previous school because he was "a nigger". At his second high school the kids decided he was gay, too.

Kids follow their parents for both good and bad habits. And their parents followed their parents. Which is one small reason why I believe in the little campaigning I can do. But we mist pick battles where we can influence hearts and minds. Shock and Awe does not work.

Re: Blatant latent homophobia  [message #64081 is a reply to message #64080] Mon, 27 September 2010 20:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
chrisjames147 is currently offline  chrisjames147

Really getting into it

I do agree, Timmy...shock and awe didn't work for Bush either. The problem with calling Billy Lucas a nigger is that there are laws that forbid such behavior, hate crimes define racial hatred on a national level, gay hate is only given a nod by several of the states...bastards!

Unfortunately the one place you would think people might look upon their fellow human beings with kindness is church. But there have been too many examples of those in a religious way persecuting others who are "not their kind."

I seriously doubt if a young man appeared at the church door some Sunday wearing a long roughly woven cloth robe, with sandals upon his feet and the odor of donkeys about him that he would be accepted.

As homosexuals we are nothing more than other people on the street, and yet the human failing is that we have been cast as less than normal, we are "not their kind." Intelligent people understand that we are all different just like our fingerprints.

To me what this says is that those who are less accepting of me as a homosexual man are actually less than intelligent persons. That the kind of bigoted attitude they espouse is a mask to hide insecurity.

Acceptance would mean the need for understanding which many are not capable of attaining. Even though it is no longer illegal to be gay there is still prejudice by the ignorant, those with less than good self esteem who see a gay man as a threat to...what I do not understand.

The media focus on sensationalizing gay issues when instead they should be seeking to normailze us. Where are the news stories about the contribution of LGBT men and women to society? It might be shocking to note that the community is one of the wealthiest in the world and contributes to many charities and causes. Do we descriminate? Do gay clinics turn away the straight people who are ill and need treatment? Would a gay doctor refuse to treat someone because he or she is "not our kind?"

The straight world has a long way to go in atoning for their sins and the mistreatment of LGBT people. Laws won't do it and we know churches have barely begun to change their attitude. We talk about generations and yet I know the necessary changes in society won't happen in my lifetime. Maybe if Jesus came back in drag tomorrow we'd have a chance.

[Updated on: Mon, 27 September 2010 20:53]

Age appears to be best in four things; old wood best to burn, old wine to drink, old friends to trust, and old authors to read. (Sir Francis Bacon 1561-1626)
Re: Blatant latent homophobia  [message #64088 is a reply to message #64081] Tue, 28 September 2010 00:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
DesDownunder is currently offline  DesDownunder

Likes it here

To me it seems that shock is the only teacher. Nothing else seems to work.

[Updated on: Tue, 28 September 2010 00:26]

DesDownunder

Call me naive if you want, but life without trust in the goodness of others would be intolerable.

Religious indoctrination: It gets better, without it.
Re: Blatant latent homophobia  [message #64089 is a reply to message #64077] Tue, 28 September 2010 00:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
saben is currently offline  saben

On fire!

Yeah I have no idea why Brody's post was in reply to mine...

Look at this tree. I cannot make it blossom when it suits me nor make it bear fruit before its time [...] No matter what you do, that seed will grow to be a peach tree. You may wish for an apple or an orange, but you will get a peach.
Master Oogway
icon6.gif Re: Blatant latent homophobia  [message #64092 is a reply to message #64089] Tue, 28 September 2010 01:41 Go to previous message
Brody Levesque is currently offline  Brody Levesque

Really getting into it

Oops.......... Don't look at me folks. All I thought was ah, here's a 'clever' way to respond plus as most of you know I almost always try to choose a graphic that is in keeping with the theme of my posts... and apparently, and no not directed at Saben, it just ended up where it did.

[Updated on: Tue, 28 September 2010 02:26]

Previous Topic: School Robs Teen Of Homecoming King Title
Next Topic: Bullying Is Wrong! There Is NO Excuse!
Goto Forum: