A Place of Safety
I expect simple behaviours here. Friendship, and love.
Any advice should be from the perspective of the person asking, not the person giving!
We have had to make new membership moderated to combat the huge number of spammers who register

You are here: Home > Forum > A Place of Safety > General Talk > Even Celebrities Can Be Victims Of Anti-Gay Bullying
icon4.gif Even Celebrities Can Be Victims Of Anti-Gay Bullying  [message #64386] Mon, 18 October 2010 05:37 Go to next message
Brody Levesque is currently offline  Brody Levesque

Really getting into it

Monday, October 18, 2010
Brody's Notes... Pop Singer Justin Beiber Cursed At With Anti-Gay Epithet In British Columbia

By Mark Singer (Washington DC) OCT 18 | According to the Richmond, British Columbia newspaper, Richmond News, the Royal Canadian Mounted Police are investigating an altercation that broke out during a lazer tag match involving 16 year old pop singing sensation Justin Beiber and a 12 year old youth.

News reporter Nelson Bennett writes that Bieber, 16, was playing laser tag Friday afternoon at Planet Lazer in Richmond when the alleged assault occurred. RCMP Constable Annie Linteau said she did not know if the victim is from Richmond – only that he has made a statement to police. “I can tell you we have spoken to the victim,” she said.

RCMP are investigating the altercation as an alleged “assault” against the 12-year-old boy by the Canadian teen idol, which occurred as the boy apparently went out of his way to target Bieber repeatedly. Sources say that Bieber became frustrated when the kid cornered him and wouldn't stop shooting and when Bieber told him, "That's enough" ... the kid responded,

"What are you gonna do about it, faggot?"

A police source stated that Bieber then angrily replied, "Excuse me?" The boy then responded, "You're a faggot" and then put his hand out toward Bieber and Bieber pushed it away as he left the active play area.

The RCMP have not confirmed that the 16-year-old in question is Bieber, and Bieber’s spokespeople have not released any statements regarding the incident.

Justin Bieber Photo By Getty Images

[Updated on: Mon, 18 October 2010 15:48]

icon13.gif Re: Even Celebrities Can Be Victims Of Anti-Gay Bullying  [message #64387 is a reply to message #64386] Mon, 18 October 2010 11:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
chrisjames147 is currently offline  chrisjames147

Really getting into it

In this case the 12 year old is a lucky kid. In the real world any 12 year old that calls a 16 year old a "faggot" would get punched in the nose or worse and deserve it. I am sure Bieber is quite capable of defending himself, haven't you seen the photos of him without a shirt on?

Justin Bieber probably has handlers nearby, large people who watch his every move because of the fame. Like most young stars he can't have a normal life and we all know being famous is the cause of so many problems later in life for these people.

It seems the younger boy must be envious of Bieber to pay him this kind of attention. Although we can all agree that this kind of name calling is despicable it is learned behavior. If I was the parent of such a boy he would be punished. But prejudice is something often learned at home, perhaps the parents deserve that bloody nose.

I don't care one bit about Bieber's current fame or talent, what he does is not interesting to me. In all I think he handled this quite well if he walked away, but as for the 12 year old...Bieber has a huge fan base of teenage girls who would like nothing better than to kick a little 12 year old ass.

I would recommend the youngster keep his head down and hope no one finds out who he is. The current assault charge is bullshit, someone is seeking money for this stupid moment. Wink

Age appears to be best in four things; old wood best to burn, old wine to drink, old friends to trust, and old authors to read. (Sir Francis Bacon 1561-1626)
Are we sure it was bullying? I'm not  [message #64388 is a reply to message #64386] Mon, 18 October 2010 12:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

Ignoring the pointless charges for assault, let's not be too had on the 12 y/o lad. It seems he was trying to get the older kid's attention. Anyone remember wanting to do that with another kid?

This is not bullying. This is a little kid in a one on one incident risking getting pulped by a bigger kid. How lucky the bigger kid was a gentleman.

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Re: Are we sure it was bullying? I'm not  [message #64390 is a reply to message #64388] Mon, 18 October 2010 14:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Really getting into it

In response to Chris & Tim:

The focus here is use of that word which constitutes a 'form' of bullying behaviour as it was used as a hurtful/hateful epithet and yes, mostly likely in an adolescent way.

The point that many of us in the media are now making and experts are telling us, is that a significant effort in combating anti-Gay bullying is specific to the lexicon used, context, as in this case the word the 12 year old used.

It's not unlike the focus of the GLSEN ads to eliminate the phrase; "That's so Gay."

While I do not disagree that the parents are responsible for behaviour & conduct of their progeny- I need to also point out that a "cultural" need exists to eliminate certain elements ie: language, that is utilised as an element of bullying.

RCMP has confirmed that the 12 year old was targeting the older boy and apparently in a negative fashion.

The assault charges stem I'm sure from the parents who would love their Andy Warhol moment plus the financial gains.... typical.

[Updated on: Mon, 18 October 2010 15:39]

Re: Are we sure it was bullying? I'm not  [message #64392 is a reply to message #64390] Mon, 18 October 2010 15:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

I'm for removal of the cultural abuse of the word. I'm just not ready to consider this more than it was.

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
icon3.gif Re: Are we sure it was bullying? I'm not  [message #64393 is a reply to message #64392] Mon, 18 October 2010 15:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Really getting into it

Tim~ Its the "intent" of usage of the word that is problematic and points to the issue here. Perceptions which means that bullying, in context with usage constitute bullying.

GLAAD, GLSEN, HRC, Stonewall UK, as well as other LGBT organisations are trying to shine a very bright spotlight on usage. This cannot be construed as "boys will be boys" crapola as introduction of that word into the altercation was solely intended to question Bieber's sexuality, masculinity, and character thus implying that a LGBT person is less than. Hence, the context is that of a bullying word.

In the United States right now, the effort is to highlight this so that children and adults are made to realise the impact. So, it is more than it was in appearance the minute that word was uttered.

Perception = Use
Re: Are we sure it was bullying? I'm not  [message #64394 is a reply to message #64393] Mon, 18 October 2010 17:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
DesDownunder is currently offline  DesDownunder

Likes it here

I seem to be missing the evidence that a homophobic slur was actually used by the 12 year old.

DesDownunder

Call me naive if you want, but life without trust in the goodness of others would be intolerable.

Religious indoctrination: It gets better, without it.
Re: Are we sure it was bullying? I'm not  [message #64395 is a reply to message #64394] Mon, 18 October 2010 17:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

It has been stated that the word 'faggot' was used repeatedly

icon4.gif A positive sign  [message #64396 is a reply to message #64395] Mon, 18 October 2010 18:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
chrisjames147 is currently offline  chrisjames147

Really getting into it

If this report is accurate then we should see something good come out of this silly mess:

http://www.towleroad.com/2010/10/justin-bieber-called-faggot-accused-of-assault-by-laser-tag-bully.html

A statement against homophobic bullying by this current teenage star would be most helpful.

[Updated on: Mon, 18 October 2010 18:16]

Age appears to be best in four things; old wood best to burn, old wine to drink, old friends to trust, and old authors to read. (Sir Francis Bacon 1561-1626)
Re: Are we sure it was bullying? I'm not  [message #64399 is a reply to message #64394] Mon, 18 October 2010 23:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Benji is currently offline  Benji

Likes it here

This sounds a bit fishy to me, if true, it would seem that Bieber was being set-up to react. I wonder if the 12 year olds father pushed the the confrontation, hoping for a more violent reaction.
Re: A positive sign  [message #64400 is a reply to message #64396] Tue, 19 October 2010 01:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
saben is currently offline  saben

On fire!

It'd make a whole bunch of teenage girls stop and think twice, while further fuelling rumours about Bieber's sexuality and lack of manliness.

Bieber's seen as an afront to masculinity, which is why most young guys feel the need to dislike him.

Look at this tree. I cannot make it blossom when it suits me nor make it bear fruit before its time [...] No matter what you do, that seed will grow to be a peach tree. You may wish for an apple or an orange, but you will get a peach.
Master Oogway
icon13.gif Re: A positive sign  [message #64402 is a reply to message #64400] Tue, 19 October 2010 03:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Really getting into it

So, let me understand this correctly Saben, you see this statement that you wrote: "Bieber's seen as an afront to masculinity" as a reasonable premise to justify use of that homophobic epithet?

It is PRECISELY that reason that attention needs to be drawn to contextual usage of the term. Pray tell, what is the definition of masculinity? More over what the hell makes it the correct societal standard?

This is exactly the kind of bullshit reasoning that causes 13 year old kids in Texas to get their step-daddy's pistol and blow their brains out, which sadly is what young Asher Brown did 3 weeks ago.

IT NEEDS TO STOP! The stereotypes of what it means to be 'Male' and worse what it means to be a GAY male is needs to be driven out and perish from society and cultural thought.

Kids need to be taught to celebrate, embrace, and most of all, RESPECT differences in individuals.......
Re: A positive sign  [message #64403 is a reply to message #64402] Tue, 19 October 2010 04:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
saben is currently offline  saben

On fire!

Did you read a value judgement either way in what I said? Cos I'm re-reading it and I don't see anything to indicate where I stand either way.

All I said was young guys don't like Bieber and explained why. I was responding to the idea that Bieber could serve as a role model by standing up against homophobia.

Bieber saying homophobia is bad will do nothing to influence the perception of homophobic male youth. If anything it will just entrench it because their macho culture makes them hate Bieber.

I actually agree with your earlier comments to timmy, Brody. I don't think a kid saying "faggot" is being a bully himself, but what he IS doing is entrenching a culture of bullying. You're right that assumptions about Bieber's sexuality because of his "pretty boy" looks are the kind of entrenched homophobia that we need to stand up against.

Underlying every "faggot" is the assumption that being effeminate or liking cock is a bad thing. Which is bullshit. It's great to like cock. I'm not going to apologise!

Look at this tree. I cannot make it blossom when it suits me nor make it bear fruit before its time [...] No matter what you do, that seed will grow to be a peach tree. You may wish for an apple or an orange, but you will get a peach.
Master Oogway
icon14.gif Re: A positive sign  [message #64404 is a reply to message #64403] Tue, 19 October 2010 10:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Really getting into it

Gotcha, we're on the same page mate.
Re: Are we sure it was bullying? I'm not  [message #64413 is a reply to message #64399] Tue, 19 October 2010 22:08 Go to previous message
Benji is currently offline  Benji

Likes it here

This is late but another case

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20101014/ap_on_re_us/us_teen_harassment
Previous Topic: Brody's Journal... FCKH8 (Warning - You Will Be Offended)
Next Topic: A higher profile for "It Gets Better"
Goto Forum: