A Place of Safety
I expect simple behaviours here. Friendship, and love.
Any advice should be from the perspective of the person asking, not the person giving!
We have had to make new membership moderated to combat the huge number of spammers who register

You are here: Home > Forum > A Place of Safety > General Talk > great support for young people...
great support for young people...  [message #64491] Wed, 27 October 2010 01:12 Go to next message
E.J. is currently offline  E.J.

Really getting into it

School Official Wants Gays Dead
While schools across the country are taking action against bullying and suicide, a board member of an Arkansas school district is using his Facebook page to encourage "queers" and "fags" to kill themselves.

Read the rest here:
http://www.advocate.com/News/News_Features/Arkansas_School_Board_Member_Thinks_Fags_Should_Die/

(\\__/) And if you don't believe The sun will rise
(='.'=) Stand alone and greet The coming night
(")_(") In the last remaining light. (C. Cornell)
icon4.gif Re: great support for young people...  [message #64494 is a reply to message #64491] Wed, 27 October 2010 04:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Brody Levesque is currently offline  Brody Levesque

Really getting into it

Tuesday, October 26, 2010
Brody's Notes... Arkansas School Board Member Calls On Gays To Commit Suicide On His Facebook Page

By Brody Levesque (Washington DC) OCT 26 | Clint McCance, a member of the Midland School District school board in rural Independence County Arkansas, located 85 miles northeast of the state capital of Little Rock, had posted the following statement on his Facebook page regarding last Thursday's Spirit Day:

"Seriously they want me to wear purple because five queers committed suicide. The only way im wearin it for them is if they all commit suicide. I cant believe the people of this world have gotten this stupid. We are honoring the fact that they sinned and killed therselves because of their sin. REALLY PEOPLE."

As comments expressing outrage or disgust with his position were left on that page, McCance then responded with this entry:

"... because being a fag doesnt give you the right to ruin the rest of our lives. If you get easily offended by being called a fag then dont tell anyone you are a fag. Keep that shit to yourself. I dont care how people decide to live their lives. They dont bother me if they keep it to thereselves. It pisses me off though that we make a special purple fag day for them. I like that fags cant procreate. I also enjoy the fact that they often give each other aids and die. If you arent against it, you might as well be for it.”
McCance then added this comment as the thread progressed:

“I would disown my kids if they were gay. They will not be welcome at my home or in my vicinity. I will absolutely run them off. Of course my kids will know better. My kids will have solid christian beliefs. See it infects everyone.”

After a graduate of Midland High School, R. Anthony Turner, [Class of 1998] brought McCance's Facebook page to the attention of Michael Cole, Director of Media Relations for the Washington D. C. based Human Rights Campaign and principal author of HRC Backstory, Cole published the story along with a pdf detailing the actual screenshots of the Facebook page discussion thread. McCance's Facebook page has since been locked down.

In the HRC Backstory article, Cole writes:

"Anyone who questions whether we need to do more to create schools that welcome every student need not look any further than Clint McCance – a Midland School Board Member from Arkansas who unleashed an anti-gay tirade on Facebook recently. Reacting to Spirit Day that encouraged people to wear purple in honor of young LGBT lives lost to suicide and to raise awareness of the bullying behaviors that contributed to those deaths."

Cole also notes that in a statement, HRC President Joe Solmonese states:

"Clint McCance has put a face on the hate that devastates our young people. McCance and his hate shouldn’t be allowed near children, let alone managing their education. We call for his immediate resignation from the school board.”

Attempts to contact the Midland School Board offices and Schools Superintendent Dean Stanley for comment via phone calls and e-mails were unsuccessful. An attempt was also made to contact the principal of Midland High School by e-mail of which there was no response.

A Facebook page, calling on the School Board officials to fire McCance, was established Tuesday evening, and the story has become viral as the Advocate magazine and several prominent LGBT political blogsites have also featured the story. Angry blog readers posted McCance's home address, home phone number, and school board e-mail address along with publishing the name of his carpet cleaning business and its phone number.

The majority of reactions from the local Independence County and Midland school district residents on its website have expressed disbelief at McCance's open display of bigotry.

[Updated on: Wed, 27 October 2010 04:36]

If it's a WAR...  [message #64496 is a reply to message #64491] Wed, 27 October 2010 04:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
saben is currently offline  saben

On fire!

When do we get to start killing them?

Look at this tree. I cannot make it blossom when it suits me nor make it bear fruit before its time [...] No matter what you do, that seed will grow to be a peach tree. You may wish for an apple or an orange, but you will get a peach.
Master Oogway
icon4.gif Please note my earlier comments in red elsewhere  [message #64498 is a reply to message #64496] Wed, 27 October 2010 08:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

Try very hard not to be silly, please. This is how the holocaust started, too. And the Jews had to rely on others to bring the perpetrators to heel.

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Re: Please note my earlier comments in red elsewhere  [message #64499 is a reply to message #64498] Wed, 27 October 2010 12:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message

On fire!

The holocaust was ended by killing enough Nazis.

So I repeat- when do we get to start killing the Christo-fascists?

Look at this tree. I cannot make it blossom when it suits me nor make it bear fruit before its time [...] No matter what you do, that seed will grow to be a peach tree. You may wish for an apple or an orange, but you will get a peach.
Master Oogway
Re: Please note my earlier comments in red elsewhere  [message #64500 is a reply to message #64499] Wed, 27 October 2010 12:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

Your comment is juvenile and demeans the entire topic.

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
icon13.gif Re: Please note my earlier comments in red elsewhere  [message #64501 is a reply to message #64500] Wed, 27 October 2010 13:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Brody Levesque is currently offline  Brody Levesque

Really getting into it

I can't believe that you'd go this far out of your way to give offence. What the hell is wrong with you? Maybe its okay to sit there all smug and secure in Melbourne, Australia where there's not a rash of adolescents and young adults KILLING THEMSELVES all over Oz because of the garbage perpetuated by rabid anti-gay uber chrisitan morons like McCance.

But, here in the U. S. its not that way. Tim's being being polite, probably way too polite. So, I'll be more direct:

Saben? That was a crass and insensitive approach to a very real problem so my personal stated response to your post is simple...
Re: Please note my earlier comments in red elsewhere  [message #64502 is a reply to message #64501] Wed, 27 October 2010 14:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message

On fire!

I don't know the situation because I don't live in Buttfuck, America. But if it's a war and there are causalities and if it's being perpetuated by fascists then what is wrong with advocating for the deaths for the perpetrators?

If I was around when the holocaust was starting I wouldn't have stood by and let myself be sent to a concentration camp. I would have joined the Bielski partisans or a similar resistance movement.

Timmy compared what's happening to a second holocaust. It's been constantly called a war. If it is that serious where's the resistance? Politics, protesting and campaigning isn't going to do shit. The way to end a war is to get down in the trenches and put the heads of some of your enemies on pikes.

At the very least we should consider advocating for organisations like the Pink Pistols.

If it's a war this sounds like my kind of clarion call:
"We no longer believe it is the right of those who hate and fear gay, lesbian, bi, trans, or polyamorous persons to use us as targets for their rage. Self-defense is our RIGHT."

Perhaps I'm taking it a bit far by saying that we should kill McCance- I guess hoping for his death is enough. But so long as we adhere to the Geneva Convention and the criteria of "just war theory" I don't think we're committing a wrong. It's in self-defence.

In war it's kill or be killed. That is what the Christo-fascists want. To kill us. Why are you guys- that have been pushing the "war" terminology not wanting to return the favour? I think carpet bombing the entire South would do us all a favour... Or maybe we should just start up schools where it's the Christians getting bullied and committing suicide. Fuck them.

[Updated on: Wed, 27 October 2010 14:33]

Master Oogway
icon4.gif Re: Please note my earlier comments in red elsewhere  [message #64503 is a reply to message #64502] Wed, 27 October 2010 14:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

And that does the same. Now I will be sorry if you decide to leave, but continuing this route will lead to a warning reminder that you are choosing to leave. Consider this a very spectacular shot across your bows. The warning will be formal. I have a decidedly shorter tolerance for juvenile behaviour than I used to.

You have much to contribute here. Perhaps thinking harder before pressing submit would be in order. That will show that you have decided to remain.

[Updated on: Wed, 27 October 2010 15:54]

Re: Please note my earlier comments in red elsewhere  [message #64505 is a reply to message #64502] Wed, 27 October 2010 15:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
DesDownunder is currently offline  DesDownunder

Likes it here

"Caught in a war, because that is what we are, there are battles that must be checked to ensure we have not lost sight of our objectives. We must also look to see if the battlefield has changed, if the aims themselves have been modified by the wins and losses along the way. Most of all we need to always keep watch on ourselves that we have not, do not, become our enemy in our assumptions, or the way we fight.

Destroying our enemy is not our aim. We fight for our freedom, not because we hate our enemy, but because we love each other, because we as LGBT people want our right to love each other to be accepted, unequivocally, and equally before all."

~from my article on "The Agenda of Love & the Freedom of Sexual Expression,"
which I am beginning to feel I wrote for you Saben, when I intended it for us all. Full article at http://brodylevesque.blogspot.com/2010/10/brodys-scribbles-agenda-of-love-freedom.html

Australia is no stranger to bullying, and youth suicide. We have people with the same bigoted mentality, the same fear and hate as elsewhere on the planet, but we are isolated from the worst excesses most of the time, unless we make the effort to actually be concerned with what is happening in other places.

The Internet and world communication no longer allows us the escape of burying our heads in the sand. Humanity now is a world population and we are involved with it whether we want to be or not.

A couple of years ago I wrote an adaptation of John Donne's famous "For Whom the Bell Tolls," (1624) in the hope I could make his sentiments more approachable for today's world:

'For Whom the Tears Fall'

No thing is isolated entire of itself;
Every thing is a piece of universe,
A part of the all.
If a single cell should cease to be,
The galaxy is the less, as well as if a sun were,
As well as if a dwelling of your friend's or of your own.
Any death diminishes life,
Because life is involved in living;
And therefore never send to know for whom a tear falls;
It falls for you.

I commend you to search out John Lennon's song, Imagine on YouTube, and whilst there you might listen to his wonderful anthem for peace, "War is Over.(If you want it.)"

I'll save you the trouble here is a merging of both songs:

DesDownunder

Call me naive if you want, but life without trust in the goodness of others would be intolerable.

Religious indoctrination: It gets better, without it.
The Arkansas Department of Education strongly condemns...  [message #64512 is a reply to message #64491] Wed, 27 October 2010 18:33 Go to previous message
timmy

Has no life at all

If sheer weight of numbers means anything then this bigot has eliminated himself from the school board. But he was elected to it. He may not choose to resign. And, generally, elected officials cannot be dismissed.

“The Arkansas Department of Education strongly condemns remarks or attitudes of this kind and is dismayed to see that a school board official would post something of this insensitive nature on a public forum like Facebook. Because Mr. McCance is an elected official, the department has no means of dealing with him directly. However, the department does have staff who investigate matters of bullying in schools and we will monitor and quickly respond to any bullying of students that may occur because of this, as we have with other civil rights issues in the past”

http://lezgetreal.com/2010/10/arkansas-department-of-education-reacts-to-mccance/

[Updated on: Wed, 27 October 2010 18:37]

Previous Topic: Satire at it's best...
Next Topic: US Department of Education 'speaks
Goto Forum: