A Place of Safety
I expect simple behaviours here. Friendship, and love.
Any advice should be from the perspective of the person asking, not the person giving!
We have had to make new membership moderated to combat the huge number of spammers who register

You are here: Home > Forum > A Place of Safety > General Talk > Why have you not signed this?
icon5.gif Why have you not signed this?  [message #64889] Tue, 16 November 2010 14:37 Go to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

Seriously, if you haven't signed it I want to know why not.

http://www.change.org/petitions/view/tell_midd-west_school_district_bullying_programs_shouldnt_be_laughed_off

Non US citizens can sign it, US citizens can sign it. So tell me why you haven't signed it.

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Re: Why have you not signed this?  [message #64893 is a reply to message #64889] Tue, 16 November 2010 16:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NW is currently offline  NW

On fire!

I can't tell you why I haven't signed it - because I have, a few days ago (page 56, as it currently stands).

"The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral, begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy. ... Returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night devoid of stars." Martin Luther King
Re: Why have you not signed this?  [message #64895 is a reply to message #64893] Tue, 16 November 2010 16:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

It;s really a huge scream of pain, my friend. It just does not move much at all, and yet it really should.

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
icon14.gif Re: Why have you not signed this?  [message #64897 is a reply to message #64889] Tue, 16 November 2010 16:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dartagnon is currently offline  dartagnon

Likes it here

Signed, sealed and delivered!
NEXT!

As to why? Basically because I didn't know it was there. Thanks for showing us. ;-D

It's not the wolf you see you should fear, but all the ones he howls with. Don't be afraid of the song, but don't piss off the choir.
Re: Why have you not signed this?  [message #64899 is a reply to message #64889] Tue, 16 November 2010 17:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
saben is currently offline  saben

On fire!

I haven't signed it because I'm not sure of its objectives or how it will help.

Kids laugh assemblies off. They also laugh off classes about topics like drug use, sex ed, relationships and bullying.

I was a smart kid and excelled at maths, science, history and did decently at english. If I had a class on bullying probably part of my "health" class (that covered the other topics I mentioned) I wouldn't have paid attention or cared. My marks in that class were never important, it just wasn't relevant.

I remember learning about passive, aggressive and assertive behaviour as ways of dealing with confrontation vaguely in grade 8. I never cared. But I guess I did learn it and I remembered it. I'm sure me "not caring" was still probably more care than 90% of the rest of the class, though. I didn't care and I was an engaged, academically strong student.

I think if that petition was being sent to all parents in the district I'd sign it. I believe bullying mostly starts and can be stopped at home. Usually before High School even begins.

Look at this tree. I cannot make it blossom when it suits me nor make it bear fruit before its time [...] No matter what you do, that seed will grow to be a peach tree. You may wish for an apple or an orange, but you will get a peach.
Master Oogway
Re: Why have you not signed this?  [message #64900 is a reply to message #64889] Tue, 16 November 2010 17:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
aqualino is currently offline  aqualino

Likes it here

Done. Thanks for the nudge, it was on the list of things to do today and tomorrow. Been knee deep in dirt planting vines this week.

marco

There is a sacredness in tears. They are not the mark of weakness, but of power. They speak more eloquently than ten thousand tongues. They are the messengers of overwhelming grief, of deep contrition, and of unspeakable love. Washington Irving
Re: Why have you not signed this?  [message #64902 is a reply to message #64899] Tue, 16 November 2010 18:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

To me that is an interesting and wholly invalid answer. But it is an answer. If I got upset at it you could rightly accuse me of bullying you.

Re: Why have you not signed this?  [message #64911 is a reply to message #64889] Wed, 17 November 2010 04:10 Go to previous message
attatood.too is currently offline  attatood.too

Likes it here

Because I inadvertently missed it. Done now. Thanks for the reminder Smile

I prefer guys that don't come in a box.
Previous Topic: Is suicide any more tragic when caused by bullying?
Next Topic: Op-Ed: Michael Lucas Opines-- Treat Paedophiles Humanely
Goto Forum: