A Place of Safety
I expect simple behaviours here. Friendship, and love.
Any advice should be from the perspective of the person asking, not the person giving!
We have had to make new membership moderated to combat the huge number of spammers who register

You are here: Home > Forum > A Place of Safety > General Talk > Today's news is troubling
Today's news is troubling  [message #65657] Mon, 02 May 2011 18:01 Go to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

I notice we have, so far, refrained from comment. I'm hoping that is because we're looking at the media circus and the street scenes in the USA with some serious concern. Our own corespondent has some thoughts, too: http://tinyurl.com/6b79v2o so one can accuse, him, too, of being a part of the feeding frenzy.

There are some major concerns. One of these is the intense wave of "It makes me PROUD to be AMERICAN" sentiment. There are certainly things to be proud of as a US citizen. I'm simply not sure that celebrating in the streets as if one's team has won the Superbowl is an appropriate behaviour. Megaman and I spoke of this earlier in comparison to the last world war and the death of Hitler. We knew there was a difference, but it took a while to find it.

He summarised it that we, certainly, and the USA to an extent, suffered continuously under Hitler in no holds barred all out bloody war that involved civilians and military alike. When the war in Europe was over we cheered. And so did much of Germany. The current terror issues differ markedly from that scenario.

We need to restore sanity. Revenge is a deeply unpleasant thing and pride in revenge is an unpleasant thing indeed. The cowboy in the black hat is dead. That makes very little difference to the world except to make it more dangerous for a while.

Please can we get on with bringing the world into the Human Rights fold and set this sorry and successful incident on the shelf of history, now?

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
icon3.gif Re: Today's news is troubling  [message #65658 is a reply to message #65657] Mon, 02 May 2011 19:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Brody Levesque is currently offline  Brody Levesque

Really getting into it

WASHINGTON-- Reactions from world leaders to last night's killing of Osama Bin Laden by a U. S. Navy Seal team accompanied by operatives from the American intelligence community, has been mostly approving, praising the Obama administration's successful elimination of what has been generally perceived as an ongoing threat to peace.

Critics though charge that the groundwork for this successful mission lies with the efforts and policies made during the administration of former U. S. president George W. Bush. [snip]

In Britain, Lord Norman Tebbit of Chingford, who is one of Britain's most outspoken conservative commentators, politician, as well as a former senior cabinet minister in Margaret Thatcher's government wrote:

"For me, and many other victims of the Sinn Fein/IRA terrorism which cost the lives of thousands in this Kingdom, there is something jarring in the way in which the Government lavishes praise on those who rid the world of one purveyor of terrorism whilst extending praise and even armed protection to those guilty of the same crimes here. The Prime Minister and the Foreign Secretary have been unequivocal in their support of the assassination of bin Laden. They are equally unequivocal in refusing to contemplate the execution of terrorists here. For them the death penalty is out of question except when carried out by US Special Forces outside the United States, or possibly in Libya against Qaddafi."
Re: Today's news is troubling  [message #65659 is a reply to message #65658] Mon, 02 May 2011 20:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

I find it very annoying that I agree with Tebbit and also with the Vatican's comment: “Faced with the death of a man, a Christian never rejoices, but reflects on the serious responsibility of each and every one of us before God and before man, and hopes and commits himself so that no event is an opportunity for further growth of hatred, but for peace,”

Life is weird when I agree with either of these people.

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Re: Today's news is troubling  [message #65661 is a reply to message #65659] Mon, 02 May 2011 22:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dartagnon is currently offline  dartagnon

Likes it here

I think one of the things most of us find so awkward about this whole thing is the notion of killing in general. Let's make no bones about it. Bin Laden is behind the deaths of many thousands of his own people, as well as the attacks in the subways in London and the World Trade Center attacks. This was a brutal, evil man, by any definition. He didn't attack warriors or heads of state. He attacked people, just common folk. He orchestrated the deaths of innocent people just going about their daily lives. Ending him, despite how we feel about killing, was necessary.

I am proud of my country, and I am worried about the directions I see many people in my country leaning. And for all the flag waving and bible thumping types I live amongst here in the US southeast, I do find most of my political views differing from my neighbors. But we aren't outright killing normal folk. I strive to look for peaceful ways to resolve situations without violence, but I am prepared to defend necessary actions, necessary violence. Sometimes, when the disease has gone too far, you have to call in the surgeon to cut away the poisonous tissue.

And as much as I hate to say it, we've all let the doctor pass on the bill for too long. I don't think we've got anything to be proud of here. I think we must simply realize that it had to be done. Who knows what else this monster might have come up with.

Still, it saddens me that it's come to this. At least this chapter is over. Now, we wait to see if or when the cycle continues with his successor.

It's not the wolf you see you should fear, but all the ones he howls with. Don't be afraid of the song, but don't piss off the choir.
Re: Today's news is troubling  [message #65662 is a reply to message #65661] Mon, 02 May 2011 22:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

So many people fail to understand that there is no successor save that we all create and deify one. The organisation never existed save in the news media. It was never organised, not really.

Terrorism requires a lucky hit to be effective. There was one. A very simple task of hijacking a plane or two and crashing them into a building exceeded the perpetrators' expectations. not because of the number it killed, but because it created them as a big, bad wolf, and because we all reacted by creating massive security brouhaha. Now we are afraid, it seems.

And we give terrorist strikes anniversaries and commemorate them each year. That is insanity. Even we, here, have started to do that.

He was an unpleasant man, there is no argument about that. I'm sure that he will not be missed much by right thinking people. But his death is irrelevant now. As was his life yesterday.

Re: Today's news is troubling  [message #65663 is a reply to message #65662] Mon, 02 May 2011 23:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dartagnon is currently offline  dartagnon

Likes it here

There i must disagree. Ignoring a threat is not neutralizing one. Pretending the hornet nest in your garden wont bother you if you give it space is not practical. I seem to recall a great deal of attention paid to some small organization called the IRA, and I'm fairly certain it was never ignored. You don't let the fear rule you, but you don't turn your back, either. History proves this.

However, I choose not to dispute with you. We have differing opinions, and I respect that. I also ask you to not lump all Americans in the same cup of tea. There's a lot of us, spread over a large territory, and we aren't all the same. I suspect the same is true of citizens of the Crown. Not all of us view things exactly the same. Perhaps with the respect of differences, that diversity of thought and conscious, thought can be provoked beyond nationalistic pride, all around.

It's not the wolf you see you should fear, but all the ones he howls with. Don't be afraid of the song, but don't piss off the choir.
Re: Today's news is troubling  [message #65665 is a reply to message #65663] Tue, 03 May 2011 01:29 Go to previous message
ray2x is currently offline  ray2x

Really getting into it

Life is frigging weird!! The whole last decade was weird. I for one am not rejoicing but rather guarded of the news. I suspect families of 9-11 victims have more rights and privileges for celebrating. I wish them better days. I also wish the feel good times last more than a week but suspect too that the fox lying machine is cranking up a slew of bush is the winner news.

Raymundo
Previous Topic: Making your vote count
Next Topic: Congratulations To The Duke & Duchess Of Cambridge
Goto Forum: