A Place of Safety
I expect simple behaviours here. Friendship, and love.
Any advice should be from the perspective of the person asking, not the person giving!
We have had to make new membership moderated to combat the huge number of spammers who register

You are here: Home > Forum > A Place of Safety > General Talk > Congratulations To The Duke & Duchess Of Cambridge
icon14.gif Congratulations To The Duke & Duchess Of Cambridge  [message #65631] Fri, 29 April 2011 11:55 Go to next message
Brody Levesque is currently offline  Brody Levesque

Really getting into it

No Message Body
icon5.gif What comes after a royal wedding....?  [message #65635 is a reply to message #65631] Fri, 29 April 2011 19:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
chrisjames147 is currently offline  chrisjames147

Really getting into it

A lovely spectacle, I doubt if anyone does does up a wedding quite like the English royalty. This, of course, from my American perspective. And now what?

A grand party is usually followed by a large mess to clean up and the inevitable hangover. In this case I imagine the hangover will be accompanied by the invoice for such a large affair.

No one seems to do this pomp and circumstance quite like the English. The setting was lovely, always liked large cathedrals from a non-religious point of view. Lovely choir boys...I'll just leave it at that.

Some forty years ago I almost had what might qualify as a royal wedding, but I cancelled it. My father-in-law-to-be wanted a grand party and engaged the local Shriner's Temple for the reception. This massive hall would have been the site for the reception, and the source of nightmares for years afterwards.

He invited some 400 people, I kid you not. I might have known a dozen, maybe two dozen people on his list. He was paying for it so he invited every business contact he had, he felt it was his circus. I informed my intended that the wedding was off. I was certain her father was a little off, but that's another story.

I spent weeks explaining why the wedding was called off, and rather than lambaste my wife-to-be's family I told a small lie. I told everyone that her father had decided on such a grand party, but that at the last minute the National Symphony cancelled and was unable to play the reception.

We settled for a small garden wedding, 30 people and all of them related or our personal friends. I really wonder...do you suppose William and Catherine would have eloped if they could and avoided all this mess? Heavy responsibility being royal, they had to attend the party.

Age appears to be best in four things; old wood best to burn, old wine to drink, old friends to trust, and old authors to read. (Sir Francis Bacon 1561-1626)
Re: What comes after a royal wedding....?  [message #65639 is a reply to message #65635] Sat, 30 April 2011 11:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

William has inherited, as all except the twat who abdicated have, a fine sense of duty. He knows he is to be king once his father dies and his grandmother dies. He understands that figurehead status, spectacle and the earning of foreign revenue is what the monarchy is all about.He understands the constant point of reference, love it or hate it, that the monarchy provides.

And so, while I am certain that he and his bride would have preferred to elope, they knew the duty that comes with the position.

Many rail against a family that has the job by heredity. They fail to note that it is also a life sentence. There is no choice, no real choice, in whether the job is done or not.

We do spectacle very well indeed. And those soldiers in our slimming down armed services, those who march in the red uniforms, they are not toy soldiers. They are serving soldiers who happen also to be good at ceremonials.

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
icon4.gif Re: What comes after a royal wedding....?  [message #65640 is a reply to message #65639] Sat, 30 April 2011 16:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Brody Levesque is currently offline  Brody Levesque

Really getting into it

Granted, I am not a fashion maven but even I have to agree with this assessment:
Oh lord  [message #65641 is a reply to message #65640] Sat, 30 April 2011 19:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

That would be 'TILE' not 'TIE'

[Updated on: Sat, 30 April 2011 20:32]

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Re: Congratulations To The Duke & Duchess Of Cambridge  [message #65644 is a reply to message #65631] Sat, 30 April 2011 22:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nigel is currently offline  Nigel

On fire!

No Message Body

I dream of boys with big bulges in their trousers,
Never of girls with big bulges in their blouses.

…and look forward to meeting you in Cóito.
icon6.gif Re: ...and what of the Queen?  [message #65654 is a reply to message #65640] Mon, 02 May 2011 12:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jaycracker is currently offline  jaycracker

Likes it here

I'd say the Queen knows very well that you don't dress to out-do the bride. A number of people commented that she was wearing was "somewhat plain." So? That's just as it should be, and her outfit was simple but elegant. Even the jewelry was kept to a minimum.
By comparison, Princesses Eugenie and Beatrice looked like a ridiculous pair of tarts. Most guys would have run screaming!

Nigel: Maybe, but I have no personal information on that.....

Mike.g
(CW)
Re: Congratulations To The Duke & Duchess Of Cambridge  [message #65667 is a reply to message #65644] Tue, 03 May 2011 02:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ray2x is currently offline  ray2x

Really getting into it

Don't we all?
By the way, after my wedding, I got the shocking realization of having in-laws. I'm still recovering.

Raymundo
Re: Oh lord  [message #65670 is a reply to message #65641] Tue, 03 May 2011 03:33 Go to previous message
kiwi is currently offline  kiwi

Likes it here

"I felt like a lad as I walked down the road (!)
Then I met Old Jones and he said, "Well I'm blowed. My word you do look queer."

Heh!

Commas matter - 'Party on Dudes' is not the same as 'Party on, Dudes'
Previous Topic: Today's news is troubling
Next Topic: Love it
Goto Forum: