A Place of Safety
I expect simple behaviours here. Friendship, and love.
Any advice should be from the perspective of the person asking, not the person giving!
We have had to make new membership moderated to combat the huge number of spammers who register

You are here: Home > Forum > A Place of Safety > General Talk > Guinness World Records Rejects Circumcision Party
icon4.gif Guinness World Records Rejects Circumcision Party  [message #65729] Wed, 11 May 2011 00:08 Go to next message
Brody Levesque is currently offline  Brody Levesque

Really getting into it

London, UK -- Guinness World Records officials distanced themselves from an event in the Philippines last Saturday, May 7th, that claimed to set the world record for most circumcisions performed in a single event.

But Guinness officials contacted Monday told reporters they wouldn't consider the so-called "circumcision party" event for their record book:

"Guinness World Records does not recognize the number of medical procedures within a set period of time or in a mass group due to hygiene considerations and risks," according to spokeswoman Jamie Panas.
"Medical procedures should be undertaken only on the advice of a doctor and the patients' welfare should always be the primary concern."

She added that Guinness has never had a record for mass circumcisions.

Public health officials in Marikina claimed that more than 1,500 boys underwent the free surgical procedure in a sports stadium outside of the city best known for its being the largest shoe manufacturing centre in Asia.
Officials said the event — touted in a press statement as a “circumcision party” — aims to promote safe circumcision and to offer to poor residents free surgery that would otherwise cost at least $40 in private hospitals. Circumcision is considered a rite of passage for preteen boys in the Philippines.

Some boys cried in their mothers’ arms while others bit their shirts to stifle sobs as doctors carried out the surgery on dozens of makeshift operating tables inside a sports stadium in Marikina city east of Manila. Outside, other boys lined up to await their turn.

-REUTERS
To say that I'm disgusted by this ...  [message #65731 is a reply to message #65729] Wed, 11 May 2011 02:36 Go to previous message
The Gay Deceiver is currently offline  The Gay Deceiver

Really getting into it

... would be putting it mildly.

I'm circumcised; that my parents chose to have this procedure done shortly after my birth doesn't trouble me, as it apparently has any number of others.

Would I inflict this on my own children? I really don't know; it would have to be a decision based upon societal norms and expectations. I do know it would not be based upon some contest or another, or some media blitz.

Whilst I have no problem respecting another's theological premise for circumcision; and that there was no such premise in my own having taken place; I do have a problem with it being an arbitrary choice; and would given today's hopefully more enlightened practices prefer that the child make the choice for himself when he is able to; but mass ritual undertaken in a sports arena with it designed to make the Guinness Book of Records; not bloody likely.

Warren C. E. Austin
The Gay Deceiver
Toronto, Canada

"... comme recherché qu'un délice callipygian"
Previous Topic: Letter to Dr. Laura
Next Topic: Testing, testing
Goto Forum: