A Place of Safety
I expect simple behaviours here. Friendship, and love.
Any advice should be from the perspective of the person asking, not the person giving!
We have had to make new membership moderated to combat the huge number of spammers who register

You are here: Home > Forum > A Place of Safety > General Talk > Faggots!
Faggots!  [message #65761] Tue, 17 May 2011 20:40 Go to next message
kiwi is currently offline  kiwi

Likes it here

The word 'Faggot', in all it's glory, is derived from the Latin 'Fascis' - a measured bundle of sticks - which is also the origin of the word 'Fascist', in all it's glory.

The 'Fasces Lictoriae' - shown in the cartoon - were bundles of sticks that were symbols of office carried by Roman Lictors (ceremonial body guards). The bound rods represented the combined power of the people which was used by the Magistrate (office holder) to impose discipline on their behalf. The axe was a later addition symbolising the right to impose (capital) punishment on the people's behalf.

If They are going to continue to use the word for Gays, I think it should be embraced and worn with pride - strength through unity - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TB3RBxnn98g

Feck 'em!

Commas matter - 'Party on Dudes' is not the same as 'Party on, Dudes'
Re: Faggots!  [message #65764 is a reply to message #65761] Tue, 17 May 2011 21:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

So how did it come to mean a homosexual gentleman?

It is also a savoury comestible that is probably unique to England and Wales. Scotland has Haggis.

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Re: Faggots!  [message #65780 is a reply to message #65761] Mon, 23 May 2011 00:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
attatood.too is currently offline  attatood.too

Likes it here

Even explained (it wasn't really), it doesn't make the word any easier to swallow. (Ok, I'm not even gonna touch how that came out because it amuses me) But that still is the one word in the English language that I hate passionately.

-Peter

I prefer guys that don't come in a box.
Re: Faggots!  [message #65781 is a reply to message #65780] Mon, 23 May 2011 05:17 Go to previous message
ray2x is currently offline  ray2x

Really getting into it

The etymology of faggot does have more dubious usage concerning its use of male homosexual. The bundled sticks meaning does have some promise but further usage seems to have an additional meaning of "...needing to be carried..." which could imply uselessness. Its association to burning could have positive connotations (being bright, well lit), however, that's not well documented. Current sociolinguistic usage is more negative than positive. Future usage could change though, so there's hope.

Raymundo
Previous Topic: Kika erklärt Jungs wie man eine Erektion versteckt!! Neu!
Next Topic: Leaving town with Jesus on Saturday...?
Goto Forum: