A Place of Safety
I expect simple behaviours here. Friendship, and love.
Any advice should be from the perspective of the person asking, not the person giving!
We have had to make new membership moderated to combat the huge number of spammers who register

You are here: Home > Forum > A Place of Safety > General Talk > If...
If...  [message #65784] Mon, 23 May 2011 07:39
timmy

Has no life at all

I thought you might like a present:

Until the scene in the cafe the film is pretty much a documentary about the schools of the era. I was at one of these in the second half of the 1960s. Everything that is not in the surreal post cafe scenes is accurate.

Oddly the moody black and white shots are for budgetary reasons rather than artistic reasons. Colour stock blew the budget, or so article I’ve read said.

There were sad rumours that Rupert Webster who played Bobby Phillips had been stabbed to death. Like so many rumours these proved to be unfounded. He attended a relatively recent ex-cast gathering. He’s not hugely handsome but he’s gloriously attractive.

The film was contentious when it came out, and kicked off Malcolm McDowell’s career. The contentious nature led our rather wise headmaster to make it pretty much compulsory viewing. Normally we were forbidden to go to the cinema. He gave blanket permission to go and see it. I suspect his reasoning was that he didn’t want us to take the guns from the school armoury and shoot the school up on founder’s day!

Every time I watch this film the ending makes me cry. I cared so much about Bobby and the huge waste of it all. The shot (in the video) of Bobby looking down at his hero on the horizontal bar has stayed with me for a long time.

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Previous Topic: Leaving town with Jesus on Saturday...?
Next Topic: One sentance story....
Goto Forum: