A Place of Safety
I expect simple behaviours here. Friendship, and love.
Any advice should be from the perspective of the person asking, not the person giving!
We have had to make new membership moderated to combat the huge number of spammers who register

You are here: Home > Forum > A Place of Safety > General Talk > I don't wish to be seen here as flogging a dead horse ...
I don't wish to be seen here as flogging a dead horse ...  [message #65793] Thu, 26 May 2011 15:28 Go to next message
The Gay Deceiver is currently offline  The Gay Deceiver

Really getting into it

... but, I am sincerely asking for this Forum's help.

I need translations, about a dozen or more of them, and I need them quickly.

Someone within the catchment area of this board surely must speak, or knows of someone who does, one or more of the following languages:

Dansk (Danish), Norse (Norwegian), Soumi (Finnish), Esti (Estonian), Lativian, Lithuanian, Albanian and Maltese.

The Public Service Announcement (PSA) featured in Brody's thread earlier this month (found at the following URI: http://forum.iomfats.org/w-agora/view.php?site=forumiomfatsorg&bn=forumiomfatsorg_placeofsafety&key=1301714473 ) was financed in the main by the European Union Commission's "Progress Programme for Diversity Against Discrimination" on behalf of BeLonG To Youth Services of Ireland (belongto.org); this being significant recognition by the European Union of the importance of the anti-bullying message, and the earnestness of this little known Irish agency's worthy and valuable services to their local communities.

Like Canada's Kid's Help Phone anti-bullying, and other, PSA's (featured previously in a thread elsewhere here, and at Timmy's Personal Blog and screened a dozen or more times daily across all four Canadian Television Networks for the past 15-years) this recent commercial is gender neutral and once translated has proven to be region, language, and ethnic positive and proactive focusing as it does less on the anti-homosexual nature of bullying and more on "friendship" as a catalyst for true change amongst the attitudes of today's youth and their peers.

The World-wide Web is a powerful medium; one which is capable of disseminating to the broadest possible audience information capable of transcending innumerable barriers which might otherwise not have been previously thought possible.

In the past week more than 1100 screen-views of 30 translated and sub-titled especially prepared versions of the Irish PSA have occurred. Amazingly the largest number of these viewings have taken place in several of the previous Yugoslav Republic and now independent States; notably Macedonian and Croatia, with strong showings in Turkey, Hungary, Bulgaria, Romania, Greece, Germany, Italy, Spain and The United Kingdom, amongst others.

These are not orchestrated screen-views; rather they are viewings which have largely arisen from discreet searches using YouTube's search function, and represent individuals scattered across the globe who have sought out the information and found this particular PSA to be language-friendly in an otherwise unfriendly World.

It doesn't get any better than this folks. We are impacting change one person at a time and in some of the harshest of this World's theological and political environments; but, the momentum must continue, and the translations need to be forthcoming so that other wanting and deserving eyes and ears will too have the same equal opportunity to receive this message.

If you are able to help, or know of another who may themselves be able to, then kindly reference this earlier message of mine in Brody's originating thread:

http://forum.iomfats.org/w-agora/index.php?site=forumiomfatsorg&bn=forumiomfatsorg_placeofsafety&key=1305524957&action=view

There you will find all you, or your friends, may need to further our cause.

Ireland's BeLonG To Youth Services were notified yesterday of the availability of the translated renderings of the PSA at my YouTube Channel; later today a similar message will be sent to the European Union apprising them that, in my humble opinion, their money was exceptionally well-spent, with they, too, being provided links to my Channel.

Governments and their Agencies need to be shown that PSA's in support of Kid's Help Phone's anti-bullying campaigns, the International Stand Up Day's universal anti-bullying programme and recently BeLonG To Youth Services do have impact. I can't think of a better way to let them know than screen-views of suitably translated vidéos occurring in isolated bedrooms, or living-rooms, or schools, or libraries or whatever, in communities well outside of these PSA's originally intended markets.

If the message is truly universal, promoting diversity and equality for all, regardless of region, or language, theology or politics, then let the message be heard; and let those who finance the PSA's know their money is achieving the intended results.

Warren C. E. Austin
The Gay Deceiver
Toronto, Canada

[Updated on: Fri, 27 May 2011 08:16]

"... comme recherché qu'un délice callipygian"
An especially HUGE thank you ....  [message #65796 is a reply to message #65793] Fri, 27 May 2011 07:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Really getting into it

... is now finding it's way to Tor, one of our visitors, who has graciously provided me with a Norwegian translation to my english-language reference file.

I will format, embed and recompile the vidéo this weekend and upload the finished film at YouTube likely Sunday evening or early Monday morning, and subsequently in *.avi-format at my file-sharing venue likely a day later. I wish this could be sooner; but, prior commitments volunteering at my local Food Bank and refurbishing several much needed computers for clients who have been eagerly (and long) awaiting them through the many months of my protracted recovery from illness late last year take priority.

Keep those translations coming folks, and again thank you to all who have helped me in this most worthy and valuable endeavour.

Warren C. E. Austin
The Gay Deceiver
Toronto, Canada

Through the very kind auspices ...  [message #65802 is a reply to message #65793] Sun, 29 May 2011 01:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Really getting into it

... of Brody and a contact of his, it's looking likely htat I shall soon have translations of Estonian, Lithuanian and Latvian ... and so he informs me likely Finnish.

Simply marvelous folks.

The Norsk translation that Tor provided has now been posted at YouTube and elsewhere, having received since 03:00 Hrs this morning over a dozen or more hits with no advance notice, no fanfare, no nothing ... just YouTube's rather shitty search function making it possible for viewers to find it there.

In total, in just a weeks time since the first of the translations were uploaded to YouTube, there have been a little more than 1200 screen-views of one or the other of now 31 sub-titled versions of the PSA, with the greatest number occurring from the late Yugoslav Balkan States of Croatia, Herzegovina, Macedonia and Bosnia. Who knew?

Warren C. E. Austin
The Gay Deceiver
Toronto, Canada

Re: I don't wish to be seen here as flogging a dead horse ...  [message #65813 is a reply to message #65793] Sun, 29 May 2011 14:33 Go to previous message
timmy

Has no life at all

I'm approaching a couple of folk for the Irish tongue for you.

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Previous Topic: Condolences
Next Topic: Guess Who Lives in Westport Now?
Goto Forum: