A Place of Safety
I expect simple behaviours here. Friendship, and love.
Any advice should be from the perspective of the person asking, not the person giving!
We have had to make new membership moderated to combat the huge number of spammers who register

You are here: Home > Forum > A Place of Safety > General Talk > U.S. Adults estimate 25% of Americans are Gay or Lesbian
U.S. Adults estimate 25% of Americans are Gay or Lesbian  [message #65829] Tue, 31 May 2011 05:09 Go to next message
yusime is currently offline  yusime

Likes it here

http://www.gallup.com/poll/147824/Adults-Estimate-Americans-Gay-Lesbian.aspx

I personally wouldn't estimate the number to be above 20% at the highest. Very interesting in any case.

He who joyfully marches in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake since for him a spinal cord would suffice. Albert Einstein
Regardless of (and perhaps contrary to) the statistics ....  [message #65830 is a reply to message #65829] Tue, 31 May 2011 12:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The Gay Deceiver is currently offline  The Gay Deceiver

Really getting into it

... bandied about by one agency or another for the past 40-years, or more, we in the Marketing Industry here in Canada have used the more or less standardized 1-in-7 rule in consideration of gender-identification/association and the LGBTQ community as it has applied to the Canadian Cultural Mosaic.

This formula was popularized in the 1976 George Schlatter theatrically released film "Norman .... Is that you?" featuring amongst others Pearl Bailey and Red Foxx, and whilst it has been statistically challenged time and time again, in Canada, based upon legal challenges in the Supreme Court Of Canada by the R.C.M.P./C.S.I.S et al, for ownership and dissemination of the 1980's era Body Politic (a Toronto, Ontario, broad-sheet publication) mailing list, which hypothesised that the number of LGBTQ subscibers in southern Ontario alone (at that time total population of not quite 8-millions) was in the neighbourhood of 3.5 millions, and that the subscribers from the continental U.S. (total population est. 275-millions) represented in the neighbourhood of some 55-millions. Global circulation figures were not revealed. Based upon the successful LGBTQ-driven businesses Now Magazine, Xtra, Manline, CruiseLine and others operational nationally within Canada, no change in this formula has proven to be (or was ever considered) necessary.

Warren C. E. Austin
The Gay Deceiver
Toronto, Canada

"... comme recherché qu'un délice callipygian"
Re: Regardless of (and perhaps contrary to) the statistics ....  [message #65831 is a reply to message #65830] Wed, 01 June 2011 10:14 Go to previous message
Fingolfin is currently offline  Fingolfin

Likes it here

Hi all,

I wouldnt go as high as 10% in my estimation. 25 seems exaggerated a bit to me, even with some tendencies and biased survey performers i would expect somewhat of up to 20%. Moreover, there has been an estimation for a long time, that different sexuality appears more often in men than women, but that may have been mistaken...

Marek

It is better to switch on a small light than to curse the darkness.
- Vincent Šikula, Slovak writer
Previous Topic: US Is A Police State- Don't be fooled by claims otherwise
Next Topic: Beginners...a gay story
Goto Forum: