A Place of Safety
I expect simple behaviours here. Friendship, and love.
Any advice should be from the perspective of the person asking, not the person giving!
We have had to make new membership moderated to combat the huge number of spammers who register

You are here: Home > Forum > A Place of Safety > General Talk > Notice to Young Writers...
icon14.gif Notice to Young Writers...  [message #66312] Mon, 14 November 2011 23:52 Go to next message
chrisjames147 is currently offline  chrisjames147

Really getting into it

Would you like to become an author and tell your stories? Codey's World is looking for teen authors who want to write gay or straight stories.

The amazing thing about this offer is that the site is willing to provide an editor to help authors with their work. Imagine that, someone to correct your spelling and mentor your work!

I would think there are some teens who read here who must think they have something to say and just wish there was a way to make that happen, well here it is:

http://www.codeysworld.com/

The site is well established and has a good following of readers. My admiration comes under the heading of "what if." When I was a teen there was no internet even though I began my own writing back in the early 1960's. What if I had access to a place like Codey's World, where would I be today?

So to the youngest of readers here: If you feel that need to express yourself, educate us about what it means to be a gay teen or wish to write about a romantic encounter, real or fictional, go to the site and take a look at what they have there.

I think you will be surprised. And good luck, this older generation of writers can't entertain the readers forever, we need your talent now.

[Updated on: Tue, 15 November 2011 00:25]

Age appears to be best in four things; old wood best to burn, old wine to drink, old friends to trust, and old authors to read. (Sir Francis Bacon 1561-1626)
Re: Notice to Young Writers...  [message #66313 is a reply to message #66312] Tue, 15 November 2011 00:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

The strange thing is that we always look here for writers. And there are editors. Perhaps we should tell more people Wink[/Tongue in cheek mode]

[Updated on: Tue, 15 November 2011 00:08]

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
icon7.gif Re: Notice to Young Writers...  [message #66314 is a reply to message #66313] Tue, 15 November 2011 13:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
chrisjames147 is currently offline  chrisjames147

Really getting into it

Perhaps you are right. In all of my browsing on the internet story sites I find that It's Only Me From Across the Sea is one of the friendliest places to visit for any age group.

I recall we had the discussion on the forum last year about attracting young readers...or perhaps it was about youngsters not reading. We all know there are young people out there with something to say and we need to encourage them to step forward and speak.

I'm not getting any younger and someday my words will cease to fill the page...who will take my place? Gay or straight, I like to think that what this group of writers does is present the readers with thoughtful material that crosses the generations.

Storytelling seeks to enlighten a culture, and we as the storytellers have a precious chance to speak and share thought. I often feel a kinship to those who came before, and could see myself sitting beside the fire, perhaps in a cave, and telling stories about the hunt.

Despite all the changes wrought by modern man and his desire for faster electronics, there will always be the need for words to share on those devices. We need to shape future writers and infuse them with coherant thought. It is time for them to step forward, assume the mantle, and as an English author wrote some time ago, prove that the pen is mightier than the sword. Clever, those English chaps ;-D

Age appears to be best in four things; old wood best to burn, old wine to drink, old friends to trust, and old authors to read. (Sir Francis Bacon 1561-1626)
Re: Notice to Young Writers...  [message #66315 is a reply to message #66314] Tue, 15 November 2011 14:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

I get the occasional email from a real young person who is reading and enjoying the stories. Often I end up helping those people with something in their lives that they need to put into perspective, or, rather, I help them to see how to help themselves. My post about a young man who self harms was from one of my own stories. [He is doing very well, by the way. I'm proud of him]

Many authors of good stories find the same. Some, for no good reason, do not.

I've encouraged a number of folk to write here and elsewhere. Many of the early authors on this site were encouraged to put pen to paper by talking to me. Well known ones like The Eggman and The Journeyman and yes, Grasshopper, were encouraged by me, though by no means always exclusively Smile. I won't take the credit for their talent, but I will take some credit for persuading them to start. By no means all are young, though. And I suspect that is because while having emotions starts very young, expressing them coherently takes some experience of life.

We have some volunteer editors here. We don't run a 'youth programme' so to speak, because I hold the view that all writers are equal. The works published on the site are by no means all (any?) great literature. What they do is meet my own idiosyncratic publishing rationale: They paint a picture in my head that I want to see or need to see.

[Updated on: Tue, 15 November 2011 14:03]

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Re: Notice to Young Writers...  [message #66323 is a reply to message #66315] Mon, 21 November 2011 02:32 Go to previous message
jaycracker is currently offline  jaycracker

Likes it here

Ok, so I write on a different board; no, not The Fort Family anymore. I headed out to join with the breakaway group because of a difference of opinion.

( http://storylover.us/Forum/index.php?sid=e7c3eb946438735da38ebedf8555e654 ) will get you there if anyone wants to know. We have always welcomed authors, old or young, and have always found an editor for them wherever possible.

We understand the need for a bit of youth in the writing sector, because times change and so do viewpoints. The teens of today probably see things from an entirely different viewpoint to the ones we had when we were young.
But that's not the only thing. We offer friendship and help to those we can help. Those we don't think we can, we point in the right direction of someone who can do a better job than us. We don't claim to be the only ones with a viewpoint for the modern teen.
But sometimes, it's the older, more mature thinking that the youngsters want. They like to know we've suffered a bit of life experience that might help them solve their problems too. It boils down to 'if we can help in any way, then we do.'
From experience I'd agree Timmy is pretty good at talking to youngsters with problems too. 'Grasshopper' was a classic example of that, but now he's old enough, and life and situations have changed enough, that I guess he no longer needs to write, and has made his own decisions not to.
For any younger members out there in trouble, don't sit and suffer in silence. Talk to someone. Soon.

CW.
Previous Topic: just wondering.....
Next Topic: I Was Raped Too
Goto Forum: