A Place of Safety
I expect simple behaviours here. Friendship, and love.
Any advice should be from the perspective of the person asking, not the person giving!
We have had to make new membership moderated to combat the huge number of spammers who register

You are here: Home > Forum > A Place of Safety > General Talk > I am looking for a volunteer
icon5.gif I am looking for a volunteer  [message #66382] Wed, 07 December 2011 19:35 Go to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

Since I have to take some serious "me" time over Christmas, I am looking for a fair minded, straight talking, decent person to volunteer to moderate this forum, probably from this point until they hand the reins back to me to be passed to someone else. I WILL be available to advise, bit I am standing back from most things.

The duties are not onerous. I sometimes edit a post where a video could be embedded rather than linked to. I do remove the occasional spammer who registers in order to link to their own site and for no other purpose. I may still do the second part!

It is so rare that a post or a poster needs to be persuaded to be well behaved that we can almost discount it as part of the role. Even so it is.

I'd like to see the character of the place enhanced. It is, of course it is, a place to champion gay rights and to deprecate, campaign against. bullying. But it is primarily a place for conversation and folk to ask difficult questions well and receive good answers.

[Updated on: Wed, 07 December 2011 19:36]

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Re: I am looking for a volunteer  [message #66386 is a reply to message #66382] Fri, 09 December 2011 01:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dave is currently offline  Dave

Getting started

Hi Timmy,

I have alredy volunteered to cover christmas and new year shifts at work so the "young folk" can go and enjoy themselves, but if I can help in anyway.

HEY, maybe a few of the IOMFATS guys could help in a joint effort, sort of a repayment for enjoying the work you put into this....

I don't know but it's a suggestion.

You have my email if you want to contact me off the forum.

Kind regards

D.G.
Re: I am looking for a volunteer  [message #66388 is a reply to message #66386] Fri, 09 December 2011 22:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dave is currently offline  Dave

Getting started

So,

that's a big NO from everyone here..............
Re: I am looking for a volunteer  [message #66389 is a reply to message #66388] Fri, 09 December 2011 22:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

I was staying quiet until Sunday Smile From me it is not yes and not no because I have not come to a conclusion.

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Re: I am looking for a volunteer  [message #66392 is a reply to message #66389] Sat, 10 December 2011 23:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NW is currently offline  NW

On fire!

I'm afraid that I don't think I could commit to visitng regularly enough (at the moment, I log in every two or three days) to cover any moderation here, in ddition to the other sites I already help moderate. Nor, at present, am I sure that I'm settled enough in my new life to have the kind of good balance this place occasionally needs.

I am - very genuinely - sorry that when Timmy (who has helped so very many people) needs a bit of help himself, I'm not best placed to help. But if really no-one else sticks their hand up, e-mail me and I'll cover as best I can.

"The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral, begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy. ... Returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night devoid of stars." Martin Luther King
Re: I am looking for a volunteer  [message #66396 is a reply to message #66382] Mon, 12 December 2011 00:07 Go to previous message
timmy

Has no life at all

I am undecided. Let me tell you my thoughts. I'd like to know or to get to know the person who is the moderator. That is not to disparage anyone I don't know. Human nature feels more comfortable with someone whom one knows, or to whom one has been recommended.

My problem is a very human one. I am retiring from the forum. Or I intend to. My real life has become more important to me for many excellent reasons that the forum, and I simply want to pass the baton on. So I am not yet going to make a decision.

I will be very happy to receive emails from folk who would like to do the really very small job and who have time to. The forum has never ben a democracy. I tend to be a relatively benevolent autocrat.

Remember, the role is a small one. There is no prestige, just service. The role is to keep the peace, and to do that peaceably. Ideally it is a role where one leads and guides. And it is a role where one attempts to keep a balance between the very real need for activism, and the very human need for fun and comradeship.

Previous Topic: Eye Candy.......
Next Topic: I have a new nomination for Parents of the Year:
Goto Forum: