A Place of Safety
I expect simple behaviours here. Friendship, and love.
Any advice should be from the perspective of the person asking, not the person giving!
We have had to make new membership moderated to combat the huge number of spammers who register

You are here: Home > Forum > A Place of Safety > General Talk > Should we....?
Should we....?  [message #66572] Sun, 18 March 2012 22:36 Go to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

The history of this forum is one where we have, typically, not discussed stories. The rationale has been that authors should receive their 'payment' by folk writing to them. Equally, comments like "Nice chapter, author, more of the same, please!" have always struck me as a banality no-one wants to see.

We're wondering, though, about creating some sort of forum scheme associated with authors and stories, and wondered what you think. I'd rather have comments than just a vote, so I haven't created a mini poll.
  • Would you use it?
  • What type of discussions do you think work in a literary forum?
  • Etc

[Updated on: Sun, 18 March 2012 22:37]

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Re: Should we....?  [message #66577 is a reply to message #66572] Mon, 19 March 2012 15:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Camy is currently offline  Camy

Likes it here

I see why, on the last forum, you didn't have the option before. But now you have forum software that allows you to have more than one sub-forum I'd say yes. Discussion of stories is worthwhile for both readers and authors. Even banal comments have a place - while they won't send an email a lot of people will post brief 'I like it' type comments.

Re: Should we....?  [message #66578 is a reply to message #66577] Mon, 19 March 2012 16:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

"Camy wrote on Mon, 19 March 2012 15:28"
I see why, on the last forum, you didn't have the option before. But now you have forum software that allows you to have more than one sub-forum I'd say yes. Discussion of stories is worthwhile for both readers and authors. Even banal comments have a place - while they won't send an email a lot of people will post brief 'I like it' type comments.

Let me pick your brains. If it were your site, how would you implement it?

[Updated on: Mon, 19 March 2012 16:33]

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
In the earlier days at APOS there occurred greater ...  [message #66581 is a reply to message #66572] Mon, 19 March 2012 22:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The Gay Deceiver is currently offline  The Gay Deceiver

Really getting into it

... direct interaction between Authors and the Membership of the Forum.

Discussion of any particular featured story wasn't deemed to be necessary, nor desireable, given their open participation, in the day-to-day affairs of the Forum, although critique based upon some extraordinary circumstance in a given story-line was encouraged where warranted.

With the passage of time, the number of featured Authors hosted by the parent site has increased substantially, whereas their overt participation in the Forum has apparently dimminished.

A "separate" venue for discussion of the literary merits of your hosted content is likely to be viewed as desireable, and will probably be a great success.

My thoughts regarding overall Author participation in the Forum is not in any way intented to dimminish the worthy and valuable presence throughout recent years of D'Artagnon, Messrs. James, Schroder, Jamieson et al; it simply seems that the extent of that Author participation has greatly dimmnish with the passage of time, is all.

Warren C. E. Austin
The Gay Deceiver
Toronto, Canada

[Updated on: Mon, 19 March 2012 22:31]

icon14.gif We are.  [message #66608 is a reply to message #66572] Wed, 21 March 2012 22:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

We have. Literary Merit is open for business. That's good. And the foot of each story has a link to it. That's excellent. We're not yet sure about the wording of that link. So we'd like your ideas on wording Smile. That means you now have to go and read a story to see the link!

[Updated on: Wed, 21 March 2012 23:04]

Re: Should we....?  [message #66612 is a reply to message #66578] Thu, 22 March 2012 03:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Camy is currently offline  Camy

Likes it here

"timmy wrote on Mon, 19 March 2012 16:33"

"Camy wrote on Mon, 19 March 2012 15:28"

Let me pick your brains. If it were your site, how would you implement it?

--
So sorry, but my brain seems to have been out of order - tardy that I am. Besides, the 'Literary Merit' forum seems perfect. Smile

I looked for a link at the bottom of a story and couldn't find one - or maybe I misunderstood what you meant. There is a link at the bottom of the story to the top of the page where there is the authors email address. Will the link go to the root of 'Literary Merit'?

"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: Music and Cats." - Albert Schweitzer

It's like Mad Max out here: guys doing guys, girls doing girls, girls turning into guys and doing girls that used to do girls and guys!
- from Alex Truelove
Re: Should we....?  [message #66616 is a reply to message #66612] Thu, 22 March 2012 07:55 Go to previous message
timmy

Has no life at all

"Camy wrote on Thu, 22 March 2012 03:02"

--
So sorry, but my brain seems to have been out of order - tardy that I am. Besides, the 'Literary Merit' forum seems perfect. Smile

I looked for a link at the bottom of a story and couldn't find one - or maybe I misunderstood what you meant. There is a link at the bottom of the story to the top of the page where there is the authors email address. Will the link go to the root of 'Literary Merit'?

It may be a browser cache issue. You can probaby see it now, but it looks like this:

http://forum.iomfats.org/?t=getfile&id=1608&private=0

Previous Topic: UK Gay marriage consultation
Next Topic: Forum Bugs - report here, please
Goto Forum: