A Place of Safety
I expect simple behaviours here. Friendship, and love.
Any advice should be from the perspective of the person asking, not the person giving!
We have had to make new membership moderated to combat the huge number of spammers who register

You are here: Home > Forum > A Place of Safety > General Talk > Does anyone remember ...
Does anyone remember ...  [message #66708] Fri, 06 April 2012 20:06 Go to next message
NW is currently offline  NW

On fire!

Some years ago, there was a long-lasting site devoted to stories about amputees and devotees, run by "the wiz". I can't remember the exact url, but it was something like secretgarden.

I suspect it has now died, as a brief web search doesn't reveal it - though it was always a bit hidden away and difficult to track down. Does anyone know for sure? If it's dead, does anyone know if the stories have been archived anywhere?  Among the inevitable dross there were some really very good stories there, which I'd like to re-read.

thanks

NW

"The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral, begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy. ... Returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night devoid of stars." Martin Luther King
Re: Does anyone remember ...  [message #66709 is a reply to message #66708] Fri, 06 April 2012 21:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

Have you tried archive.org? Not all sites are there because you can opt out, but it's a good place to start.

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Re: Does anyone remember ...  [message #66710 is a reply to message #66708] Fri, 06 April 2012 21:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message

On fire!

Thanks - that's a good thought. I'm still not sure of the exact URL, and I think it changed at least once during the life of the site, but I can certainly have a play around and see what turns up.

"The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral, begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy. ... Returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night devoid of stars." Martin Luther King
Re: Does anyone remember ...  [message #66711 is a reply to message #66710] Sat, 07 April 2012 02:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dgt224 is currently offline  dgt224

Toe is in the water

If you haven't already, you might want to try contacting Jess Mercer through http://www.tedlouis.com/jess/jess_stories.html -- a number of amputee/devotee stories there, so it's possible he could be of some assistance. A new story was added there at the beginning of March, so the contact information there is likely to be current.
Re: Does anyone remember ...  [message #66713 is a reply to message #66708] Sat, 07 April 2012 08:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message

On fire!

Thanks - that's very helpful. Jess was certainly one of the authors there that I definitely wanted to re-read. I'll try to contact him when I get back home after the holidays.

It's not that I've suddenly turned into a "devotee", by the way! But I've started thinking about the way in which youngsters with physical disabilities or chronic health issues are much more likely to indulge in multiple risk-taking behaviors. It's certainly true of the just-21-year-old in my life (born HIV+, with some associated developmental brain problems). I think my sudden desire to re-read some of these stories is to do with trying to tease out which of the lad's problems are due directly to his medical problems, and which are due to his ways of coping with them (including the self-esteem problems) and can be worked on together.

Re: Does anyone remember ...  [message #66714 is a reply to message #66713] Sat, 07 April 2012 08:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

You do know that there is never any need to be defensive about what we read Smile I have been known to enjoy a story with critters if well written. Depends on my mood!

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Re: Does anyone remember ...  [message #66715 is a reply to message #66714] Sat, 07 April 2012 08:49 Go to previous message

On fire!

Quote:
timmy wrote on Sat, 07 April 2012 09:38You do know that there is never any need to be defensive about what we read Smile I have been known to enjoy a story with critters if well written. Depends on my mood!

--

Oh, absolutely.

But, for me, there's a big difference between just reading something, and re-reading / wanting to re-read as part of something that's going on in my life (or going on in my head). That's why I have sixteen very large boxes of paperbacks still waiting to be unpacked after our move : they're a vast resource of appropriate material for me to follow up on trains of thought !

I do a fair job of thinking through things logically where that's the right approach. But for things that I need to feel in my gut, and in my heart, I find it a question of reading stuff that's relevant, listening to relevant music, and letting it all gently simmer down without active intervention until the insights pop up of their own accord.

Previous Topic: Worldwide and European LGBT survey and census
Next Topic: What the well dressed gymnast is wearing
Goto Forum: