A Place of Safety
I expect simple behaviours here. Friendship, and love.
Any advice should be from the perspective of the person asking, not the person giving!
We have had to make new membership moderated to combat the huge number of spammers who register

You are here: Home > Forum > A Place of Safety > General Talk > Internet Explorer is going out of fashion, Not before time
icon14.gif Internet Explorer is going out of fashion, Not before time  [message #66831] Tue, 08 May 2012 21:40 Go to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

To put this into perspective, Internet Explorer is not used by that many of our visitors.

http://forum.iomfats.org/?t=getfile&id=1628&private=0

IE usage on the site is, thankfully, dropping by about one percentage point per month. We optimise the site for properly standards compliant browsers. IE is not anywhere near that class.

That is why we are not too concerned about the issue where large files seem not to display in IE. We know what the problem is. It's IE's handling of our layout we implemented in the autumn that shows how useless IE is. We present perfect, standards compliant XHTML to it and it vomits uncontrollably and fails to display the text when it gets over a certain physical length.

So our advice to anyone suferring from this problem is "Get a real browser"

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Re: Internet Explorer is going out of fashion, Not before time  [message #66833 is a reply to message #66831] Tue, 08 May 2012 22:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JoeWriterMan is currently offline  JoeWriterMan

Getting started

IE- blech.

I had this same issue over on WordPress.  Behind the scenes everything looked 'go'.  And it was a 'go' using Fire Fox, Safari AND Chrome.
JWM
Re: Internet Explorer is going out of fashion, Not before time  [message #66836 is a reply to message #66833] Tue, 08 May 2012 22:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

If IE will not handle Wordpress, then M$ has just let it commit suicide. Fuck them and the horse they rode in on.

IE users on the main site see a little sticker that tells them to download a real browser. What more can we do?

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Re: Internet Explorer is going out of fashion, Not before time  [message #66837 is a reply to message #66836] Wed, 09 May 2012 02:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JoeWriterMan is currently offline  JoeWriterMan

Getting started

~69% of your viewer hits are through browsers other than Microstink... this is probably representative across the net.  Interesting number, by the way Smile

JWM
Re: Internet Explorer is going out of fashion, Not before time  [message #66842 is a reply to message #66837] Wed, 09 May 2012 22:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

Detailed analysis of IE version and IE's ability to be a browser shows that, despite 31% of our visitors being IE, 54.48% of them have a version that can render the pages correctly. So those who are inconvenienced at all are <15% of our site visitors, assuming those visitors actually arrive to read stories. Most people arrive on the site to learn about anal sex or penis size, oddly. Of those who read the stories at all many do not read all authors, as authors know from the feedback no-one ever actually receives. So I suspect the number of folk actually affected is likely to be approximately 27 (0.9 probability).

Those 27 are running XP, a frozen OS release, on machines that may expire soon. So the problem will go away in about 6 months anyway, surely. And XP support ends in 2014 anyway

Re: Internet Explorer is going out of fashion, Not before time  [message #66849 is a reply to message #66836] Mon, 21 May 2012 12:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
readerman is currently offline  readerman

Getting started

It's rather a pity that the RUDE sticker pops onto the screen every time I try to read one of the stories.  I use IE because firefux has given me hell each of the three times I've loaded it, including the virus it installed on my old computer.

I'm trying it again but it's rather unfriendly approach to what I want to do means it probably won't last too long.

I don't seem to have any problems with your site under IE except for that annoyingly rude thing that has to be killed every time I try to open a story.

Readerman
Re: Internet Explorer is going out of fashion, Not before time  [message #66850 is a reply to message #66849] Mon, 21 May 2012 14:52 Go to previous message
timmy

Has no life at all

Try Chrome, safari or a myriad of other options such as Opera.

We do not support Internet Explorer on this site, nor will we. It's non standard and some releases prevent longer stories from appearing at all. It renders fonts badly, too. That of itself means that it is a worthless browser whose only real purpose is to download a real one.

Previous Topic: Yeah! Obama!!!!
Next Topic: Reparative Therapy is Junk - Robert Spitzer
Goto Forum: