A Place of Safety
I expect simple behaviours here. Friendship, and love.
Any advice should be from the perspective of the person asking, not the person giving!
We have had to make new membership moderated to combat the huge number of spammers who register

You are here: Home > Forum > A Place of Safety > General Talk > I had hoped to see this posted by someone else; but, apparently ...
I had hoped to see this posted by someone else; but, apparently ...  [message #67111] Tue, 16 October 2012 13:44 Go to next message
The Gay Deceiver is currently offline  The Gay Deceiver

Really getting into it

...  it is not going to happen.

Even within in "polite" society as we Canadians have come to view ourselves after three generations of gripping and at times abrasive affirmative action and equality struggles; the song does apparently truly remain the same.
Amanda Todd: Bullied Canadian Teen Commits Suicide After Prolonged Battle Online And In School
Amanda's plight in recent weeks has played out through much of the World's media and across the Internet.  To many, it is simply another case of "same old, same old"; but, here in Canada incidents like this are rare indeed and generally receive broad coverage simply because they are isolated.  It is not the tragedy of a young person's untimely passing that outrages; but, the indignity and futility of it all.  In this, the year 12 of the Second Millennium circumstances such as these should not be arising.  Not in Canada.  We Canadians had long ago put this crap behind us, or so we had smugly thought.

Regardless of where you reside, and what horrors your own society may be inflicting upon you and those you know and love; take a moment or two this coming October 20th and give praise to Amanda and Tyler and or so many others who have perished recently at the hands of the "bullying juggernaut".

We must never forget them; or their struggle and their pain.

We must vanquish bullying behaviour from the human condition; the cost is just too high.

Warren C. E. Austin
The Gay Deceiver
Toronto, Canada
Re: I had hoped to see this posted by someone else; but, apparently ...  [message #67112 is a reply to message #67111] Wed, 17 October 2012 03:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
attatood.too is currently offline  attatood.too

Likes it here

People have started the fight against bullying. It gains momentum at every turn, and in this case (although it may border on vigilanteism) some people appear to be fighting back against the alleged initial bully (unverified) http://tinyurl.com/8hgt2uf.

Peter

[edited to make th elink work Smile]

[Updated on: Wed, 17 October 2012 19:50] by Moderator

I prefer guys that don't come in a box.
Re: I had hoped to see this posted by someone else; but, apparently ...  [message #67113 is a reply to message #67111] Wed, 17 October 2012 19:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

From the youtube description:
Quote:
This is a very sad story of a girl who made one big mistake, and an even bigger one by taking her own life. Although it seemed as though Amanda's whole life was over to her, suicide is a permanent solution to an almost always temporary problem. It disgusts me how none of her classmates helped her through this tough time. Stories like this pop up all the time, people have a major outcry for publicity and the issues with bullying, and yet, this still constantly happens.

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Re: I had hoped to see this posted by someone else; but, apparently ...  [message #67114 is a reply to message #67111] Thu, 18 October 2012 02:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Brody Levesque is currently offline  Brody Levesque

Really getting into it

I know Warren- I actually considered it.  The problem is I have no time now. None.

Okay, for those of you that have been following this horrid tale, there is more, this is excerpted from Daily Mail UK:

Anonymous has named a man it claims posted topless pictures of a 15-year-old girl online and harassed her so relentlessly that she killed herself. Amanda Todd, from Vancouver, Canada, was found hanged in her home on October 10, just weeks after she uploaded a video to YouTube detailing her horrific treatment at the hands of cyber bullies. When she was just 12, a man in an internet chat room convinced her to flash her breasts, and a year later, he plastered a picture of the incident across Facebook. Now in a vigilante move, Anonymous, the world's largest hacking group, has named the man allegedly responsible for the picture. The group claims that he is a 32-year-old from British Columbia, but MailOnline has chosen not to identify him for legal reasons.

Read more:  http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2218532/Amanda-Todd- Anonymous-names-man-drove-teen-kill-spreading-nude-pictures. html#ixzz29c8gRnFM 

This is an excerpt from the wire service reports which I subscribe to links are embedded:

Anonymous named Todd's alleged bully on Monday in a post on Pastebin.com. The accusers allege that the man who targeted Todd, made her flash him and then turned her life into a living nightmare is a 30-year-old from New Westminster, British Columbia. The post describes him as the man who "extorted Amanda Todd for pictures."

"This is the pedophile that social engineered Amanda Todd into supplying him nude pictures."

Anonymous also revealed his address. Vice magazine posted information that reportedly further links Todd to the alleged bully, including Google Map screenshots of his house, his Facebook profile, chat conversations and screenshots from a "jailbait" website account supposedly tied to the man.Vice reports that Anonymous got involved in tracking down Todd's bully after nude autopsy photos of deceased Amanda Todd leaked online.

Anonymous commented on its involvement in finding those linked to Todd's suicide.

"We generally don't like to deal with police first hand but were compelled to put our skills to good use protecting kids," read an email sent by Anonymous to Canada's CTV News. "Ironically we have some good people in Vancouver who brought this to our admin's attention. It's a very sad story that affects all of us."

The man who Anonymous identified as Todd's bully appeared in court on Monday on charges of sexual assault and sexual interference with a minor, unrelated to Todd, CTV reported. The man claims he was Todd's friend and pointed the finger at a New York man who was harassing her.Todd, who lived in Coquitlam, B.C., an area by Vancouver, committed suicide last Wednesday. In early September, she posted a YouTube video detailing her struggle with bullying, self-harm and suicide attempts.

[Updated on: Thu, 18 October 2012 02:44]

What saddens and angers me here  [message #67115 is a reply to message #67114] Thu, 18 October 2012 07:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

Of course I'm sad about the suicide of this normal, ordinary, girl, but that isn't it.

What truly saddens and angers me is not that she was harassed and stalked, not that she killed herself, but that no-one understood the help that she needed. And, even after the video, no-one came to her aid, or if they did, no-one did it well enough to help her to regain her self esteem.

How did the stalker follow her from school to school? How did he gain access to her again and again? Why wasn't a responsible adult making sure, with her co-operation, that she protected herself properly from this man or men? Why didn't Facebook (etc) handle this properly, and pass IP details and so forth to law enforcement?

And I'm angry with her alleged school friends, and the school staff. What gave them the understanding that they had permission to persecute this child? How was that 'permission' allowed to be reinforced by their getting away with it time and time again?

And I am angry about the attitude to breasts. Without the prurient attitude to girls' chests then no-one would have given a damn that she had made a mistake and flashed them online. When I watched the video I'd thought she'd flashed more than breasts. These are just juvenile breasts! She was silly, yes, perhaps stupid, to flash them, but they're just breasts. It's just chest skin. You see far more on any European beach in the summer, more than you care to at times.

Why didn't people give her the backing for her self esteem to be able to laugh it off as youthful silliness? 

All of that is far more important than the stalker being outed by Anonymous, far more useful.

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
It is not the tragedy of a young person's untimely passing that outrages  [message #67116 is a reply to message #67115] Thu, 18 October 2012 14:00 Go to previous message
The Gay Deceiver is currently offline  The Gay Deceiver

Really getting into it

Within the past 24-months there simply have been too many youth suicides; mostly in the United States, but elsewhere too; leading to the real conclusion that this is not just an American phenomenon; but, a global one, and one seriously in need of being addressed by all; one that transcends cultural and religious constructs.

Unfortunately because there have been so many reported in the global media, with each succeeding tragedy apparently more horrific than its' predecessor we have become largely sensitized and therefore less likely to react sharply to any recent occurrences as they unfold; the youth in Buffalo and another in Ottawa come to mind.

Young people are sometimes going to die; this is a fact of life.  Just as it is for all of us, especially as we age; but, a youth's untimely and quite frankly too early demise shames us; particularly if it should occur by their own hand, and because of societal behaviours that could have been prevented and thereby forestall any such early death.  This is what angers me most.  Not the death itself; but, that it should not have occurred at all and could have been prevented; and that circumstances continue to exist within the human construct that sanction these acts.

Warren C. E. Austin
The Gay Deceiver
Toronto, Canada
Previous Topic: We all knew this was going to happen eventually; it being ...
Next Topic: Fascist bigotry in England
Goto Forum: