A Place of Safety
I expect simple behaviours here. Friendship, and love.
Any advice should be from the perspective of the person asking, not the person giving!
We have had to make new membership moderated to combat the huge number of spammers who register

You are here: Home > Forum > A Place of Safety > General Talk > Crazy view counts
Crazy view counts  [message #67345] Tue, 29 January 2013 10:15 Go to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

We've been visited by the chinese, who sent a bot to spider the forum. Bizarrely it only picked up certain threads and then viewed then repeatedly. It's been happening for a few days. We think we've locked the bot out from doing it again, but who knows? What a badly designed bot!

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Re: Crazy view counts  [message #67346 is a reply to message #67345] Tue, 29 January 2013 12:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NW is currently offline  NW

On fire!

I usually get Russian bots hanging round and trying to post to my blog: the Chinese seem to be a rarity.

At the moment, it's not bad enough to chew up my total bandwidth allowance, so I'm fairly relaxed about it.

"The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral, begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy. ... Returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night devoid of stars." Martin Luther King
Re: Crazy view counts  [message #67347 is a reply to message #67345] Tue, 29 January 2013 14:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Scott is currently offline  Scott

Likes it here

I was wondering about the 27,000 views on some of the threads! I was impressed that APOS had that large a following. Thanks for letting us know about the real reason for the huge numbers. I haven't been on for a while, but plan to be a little more active on the forum.

Cycling is the one sport where a guy can shave his legs, wear spandex and bright colors, and be accepted.
Re: Crazy view counts  [message #67348 is a reply to message #67347] Tue, 29 January 2013 14:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

Those numbers do not reflect visitor numbers to the forum at all. We think the stupid bot got its knickers in a knot and revisited the same message all those times, but in a way to make the forum software consider the visit was valid. We're experimenting with settings right now to see of the number still escalates like that or whether we have excluded it successfully. Regrettably there is no way to reset views without restoring form backups, something that is overkill for this annoyance.

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Re: Crazy view counts  [message #67351 is a reply to message #67348] Tue, 29 January 2013 23:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Smokr is currently offline  Smokr

Likes it here

I've banned groups of IPs. Thanks to the site software I have now it's easy to catch the one I saw, I guess they stop the rest. On one host I noticed a visitor hitting the same pagess over and over again, like it was stuck on the same 'ger first link on new page, follow first link, get first link on new page, follow link' loop. When it hit the folder where I have Play in One Act, that made it bounce around in there endlessly. It pissed off my host who locked the site off overnight, and Bravenet and the counter now has over 11 million hits on it. I don't use but it's fun to have it there.
My host now seems to block that stuff awesomely. I only once had to ban a bot so far, and I happened to be looking at the site visitors when it showed up. It got less than a hundred hits, and probably would have finished and moved on but I got the IP in the banlist and stopped it i. It was a nice one, though, sort of, it took a one second pause before it request the next page.
Now the forums have always had their share. Seems bots love the forums. Big reason I tend to let them disintegrate between bursts of activity. But so far on this host less than a half-dozen bots got through to post some spam, and the hit counts seem fairly realistic.
Looks like the bot targeted your posts that started with links out, especially if they had a link to or embed any video.

[Updated on: Tue, 29 January 2013 23:26]

raysstories.com
Re: Crazy view counts  [message #67353 is a reply to message #67351] Tue, 29 January 2013 23:48 Go to previous message
timmy

Has no life at all

Well, we've got a nice little gizmo that we have fed this thing's details to. its a nasty little content scraper bit from 360sou.com and it changes its IP address regularly, so our little gizmo will find it and zap it automatically each time. It wasn't affecting bandwidth, and our server is quite powerful nowadays, so it only affected thread views.

We don't have a site host per se. We rent a server in a data centre and run it with all our own software on it. We have tight security that will alert us before it ever gets penetrated, and offsite automated backups. Not bad for amateurs.

Previous Topic: Gonna lurk for a while
Next Topic: Boy is a Bottom
Goto Forum: