A Place of Safety
I expect simple behaviours here. Friendship, and love.
Any advice should be from the perspective of the person asking, not the person giving!
We have had to make new membership moderated to combat the huge number of spammers who register

You are here: Home > Forum > A Place of Safety > General Talk > Vicious
Vicious  [message #67715] Thu, 02 May 2013 07:28 Go to next message
Nigel is currently offline  Nigel

On fire!

Did anyone watch Vicious on itv at 9 pm last Monday, 29 April?

There were one or two funny lines, otherwise it left me cold and I shan't be watching it again.

Hugs
Nigel

I dream of boys with big bulges in their trousers,
Never of girls with big bulges in their blouses.

…and look forward to meeting you in Cóito.
Re: Vicious  [message #67716 is a reply to message #67715] Thu, 02 May 2013 08:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

I meant to. I quite like camp stereotypes.

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Re: Vicious  [message #67717 is a reply to message #67716] Thu, 02 May 2013 20:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nigel is currently offline  Nigel

On fire!

Timmy, if you're quick, you can catch the repeat tonight at 10.45. Camp stereotypes - they are not exactly Julian and Sandy.

Hugs
Nigel

[Updated on: Thu, 02 May 2013 20:42]

I dream of boys with big bulges in their trousers,
Never of girls with big bulges in their blouses.

…and look forward to meeting you in Cóito.
Re: Vicious  [message #67718 is a reply to message #67715] Fri, 03 May 2013 01:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ian John Copeland is currently offline  Ian John Copeland

Toe is in the water

I tried to watch but switched over/off after 10 minutes. To me it is a return to the era of Mrs Slocombe and her pussy all over again!

Sigh, another missed opportunity, I prefer Mr Jacobi in the repeats of I, Claudius.

Ian

Visit my Blog: http://thepaintheagony.blogspot.co.uk/
Re: Vicious  [message #67725 is a reply to message #67718] Sat, 04 May 2013 08:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timmy

Has no life at all

"Ian John Copeland wrote on Fri, 03 May 2013 02:25"
I tried to watch but switched over/off after 10 minutes. To me it is a return to the era of Mrs Slocombe and her pussy all over again!

All I can say is that they acted a crap script and appalling direction reasonably well and produced something that made me cringe. Jacobi based his part on Mr Humphries, it seems, and did it well. Give me Mrs Slocombe and her pussy any day. That script was at least funny. I do fear we are back in the 70s, though. I gave up when Miss Jones turned up. I expected Rigsby to be following and pools of drool to be on the floor.

This will, of course, become a cult comedy, mainly because no-one likes or watches it. There was nothing clever about it, though, not were there any laughs. Even the studio audience sounded embarrassed

[Updated on: Sat, 04 May 2013 08:23]

Author of Queer Me! Halfway Between Flying and Crying - the true story of life for a gay boy in the Swinging Sixties in a British all male Public School
Re: Vicious  [message #67727 is a reply to message #67725] Sat, 04 May 2013 11:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Deeej is currently offline  Deeej

Needs to get a life!

I watched the first episode last night.

To be honest, it felt like such an anachronism it didn't mean anything to me at all -- the fact that the principal characters were gay didn't allow me to identify with them, and beyond that it just felt like a rather childish and forgettable "traditional" sitcom that just happened to have a couple of very well-known actors in it.

This is a world I've never experienced, a set of attitudes I've never come across, a level of caricature that was totally unrecognisable to me and I suspect the vast majority of my generation and below. I dare say -- or at least I hope -- that people of my demographic aren't the ones it's targeted at, because I would imagine most of them would be as bemused as I was.

The only mitigating factor is that it's so obviously ridiculous that I don't think it will have any overall effect on attitudes in this country -- although I dare say it will reinforce stereotypes in those who already have prejudice.

I respect both Ian McKellen and Derek Jacobi, and I'm sure it looks very different from their point of view (society has changed a lot and I wouldn't pretend to know what it was like for gay men 40 or 50 years ago), but I doubt I will be watching it again.

David

[Updated on: Sat, 04 May 2013 11:27]

Re: Vicious  [message #67729 is a reply to message #67727] Sat, 04 May 2013 12:07 Go to previous message
NW is currently offline  NW

On fire!

"/david wrote on Sat, 04 May 2013 12:11"

This is a world I've never experienced, a set of attitudes I've never come across, a level of caricature that was totally unrecognisable to me and I suspect the vast majority of my generation and below. I dare say -- or at least I hope -- that people of my demographic aren't the ones it's targeted at, because I would imagine most of them would be as bemused as I was.
David

That's almost exactly how I felt, and I've been an out gay man for well over 30 years! I think it reflects the 1930s through perhaps to the mid 1950s.

I dislike such programmes - I think they foster a view of gay men as essentially safe, almost as eunuchs. And, honestly, being gay is is one of the least important things about a person in many ways ...

"The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral, begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy. ... Returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night devoid of stars." Martin Luther King
Previous Topic: The language of amour
Next Topic: Zambia's outspoken vice-president: Gay rights are "self-indulgent"
Goto Forum: